The Dickson (Formerly the Lofts at Underwood Plaza)

Mith242

So has anyone else heard anything about possibly making the third floor of the Lofts into a boutique hotel? Sounds like an interesting idea. It would also help utilize some of the empty space there. Hoping to hear more about this soon.

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think I saw that on local tv news. It would be a very small hotel but I agree it would be a good use of that space. There must not be any units sold on the third floor or they wouldn't be suggesting this idea. It sure is a beautiful building and a nice interior plus in a great location- it is just too expensive for most people to consider buying there.

I think I saw that on local tv news. It would be a very small hotel but I agree it would be a good use of that space. There must not be any units sold on the third floor or they wouldn't be suggesting this idea. It sure is a beautiful building and a nice interior plus in a great location- it is just too expensive for most people to consider buying there.

From their website, the 3rd floor was all open/raw commercial space- there aren't any condo units or individual commercial suites on the floorplan at all, just a little under 12,000 sq. feet of open space with some small balconies and one nice sized terrace. The fourth floor is the first residential floor according to this, and it has 3/11 units available.

• 2 months later...

Apparently as of this afternoon the Lofts at Underwood Plaza will now be known as The Dickson. If anyone remembers back during the boom a few years back there was talk of a future development on Dickson St referred to as the same name. In fact I think it was just across the street. I'm guessing Tim Beldon who now owns the building might have been the same involved in the other proposed development. There had already been talk of making the third floor into a hotel. Sounds like that idea is going to go forward. Apparently there's also plans to turn the top floor into a sky lounge with hot tub, putting green, bocce court and shuffleboard.

Apparently as of this afternoon the Lofts at Underwood Plaza will now be known as The Dickson. If anyone remembers back during the boom a few years back there was talk of a future development on Dickson St referred to as the same name. In fact I think it was just across the street. I'm guessing Tim Beldon who now owns the building might have been the same involved in the other proposed development. There had already been talk of making the third floor into a hotel. Sounds like that idea is going to go forward. Apparently there's also plans to turn the top floor into a sky lounge with hot tub, putting green, bocce court and shuffleboard.

This sounds more like a change of image to get some buzz going on about the building than a real change in direction for it. The hotel idea is a true change from the office and retail space that was planned. The lounge will be really cool- I'd go up to just to catch the view.

The original Dickson project was by Collins Haynes on his own and fell by the side with the economy problems.

This sounds more like a change of image to get some buzz going on about the building than a real change in direction for it. The hotel idea is a true change from the office and retail space that was planned. The lounge will be really cool- I'd go up to just to catch the view.

The original Dickson project was by Collins Haynes on his own and fell by the side with the economy problems.

Thanks for the correction. :)

• 4 months later...

This is an awesome project! The developers are doing all the right things to lure new tenants into the building. With the fifth floor terrace, the 9th floor lounge, and the hip and modern hotel... this will be perfect for Dickson. Once all of these projects are completed they shouldnt have any trouble filling the those condos.

BTW... when I was on the website I looked at the webcam and noticed the Cosmo (or whatever it is called now) had a great new modern paint exterior. Was that the initial paint job they did, or did they add to it recently?

This is an awesome project! The developers are doing all the right things to lure new tenants into the building. With the fifth floor terrace, the 9th floor lounge, and the hip and modern hotel... this will be perfect for Dickson. Once all of these projects are completed they shouldnt have any trouble filling the those condos.

BTW... when I was on the website I looked at the webcam and noticed the Cosmo (or whatever it is called now) had a great new modern paint exterior. Was that the initial paint job they did, or did they add to it recently?

It will be called the Chancellor or something like that I think. They just added the grey over the past couple of months. I don't know if that is a final color or what they have planned exactly but I do expect some big changes.

I hope the building does well for them, but I think they are being unrealistic with the asking rents...awhile back (strictly for funsies) I contacted them about it, and they more than what nicer buildings in much bigger cities go for.

Yeah, that will definately drive people away. But, eventually the bank will come knocking prices will drop.

• 4 months later...

Apparently KNWA is moving it's studios off the Fayetteville Square and will relocate to the entire third floor of the Dickson. Guess the plans for a hotel on the third floor fell through. Not sure when the actual move will take place. It will be weird to not have KNWA on the Square anymore. But seems like this could be a good location for KNWA. Not too far away of a move and now they'll be right on Dickson St. Maybe they'll be able to offer some interesting exterior views while broadcasting the news.

Apparently KNWA is moving it's studios off the Fayetteville Square and will relocate to the entire third floor of the Dickson. Guess the plans for a hotel on the third floor fell through. Not sure when the actual move will take place. It will be weird to not have KNWA on the Square anymore. But seems like this could be a good location for KNWA. Not too far away of a move and now they'll be right on Dickson St. Maybe they'll be able to offer some interesting exterior views while broadcasting the news.

]I'm just thrilled that they are staying in Fayetteville although it is a blow for the square. I liked walking by and catching a glimpse of a newscast- very interesting to watch. I'm also glad to see the Dickson getting a new tenant- progress has been rather slow.

The last I heard the problem with the hotel plan was no service elevators in the building and no real lobby made it hard to set it up as a hotel. Dunno if this was the ultimate problem or not, though.

M

I've know about the move for a while but couldn't say anything. I think they plan on being moved in by October/November.

Archived