The Dickson (Formerly the Lofts at Underwood Plaza)

Mith242

I've got a bunch of pics from the cutting, but won't be able to post them until Monday...

Cool, I should have gone down there anyway. But I didn't see this news till it had already started. I wasn't sure if there would be a lot to see, but from what I saw on the news looked like another rendering was on display and there was a nice model of the development as well.

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am so glad to see this project finally starting. Does anyone know if anything has been decided on the powerlines that were a concern a few months back? AEP was going to put some 120 ft tall lines through the area but I do remember hearing what was decided.

They were trying to do it without any public comment about it. They are going to have to wait and allow public suggestions and such. Not sure when that will happen. Although that may not affect what's done in the long run. Unless someone comes up with the money they'll still end up going up. But the public and city might have a say in what design and color the powerlines would be.

They were trying to do it without any public comment about it. They are going to have to wait and allow public suggestions and such. Not sure when that will happen. Although that may not affect what's done in the long run. Unless someone comes up with the money they'll still end up going up. But the public and city might have a say in what design and color the powerlines would be.

I was going to give the SWEPCO contact a call a couple of weeks ago to follow up on this issue. Thanks for the reminder.

I was going to give the SWEPCO contact a call a couple of weeks ago to follow up on this issue. Thanks for the reminder.

Yeah I haven't heard anymore on when a meeting would be set up. Although I'm sure once it's been made public people will start talking about it so that we all know when it will happen.

:sick: . Any plans on them getting rid of that power substation?

Not that I know of. I'm sure they could do it if they had to. But I imagine it would cost a lot of money and I don't see Swepco doing it just so that that area of Dickson St looks nicer.

:sick: . Any plans on them getting rid of that power substation?

From the discussion I heard from SWEPCO a few months ago there is no talk of moving the substation. The proposed new, bigger power poles are based on the substation being where it currently is. If you drive south of the substation on University Ave you will see that SWEPCO has already put in the gigantic power poles going south of the Dickson St area. (One comment I heard was that since they have invested in the poles going south they are less likely to compromise on alternates for the Dickson to Maple stretch.)

Tommy Dewese of SWEPCO returned my call last week but was not informative AT ALL. I was very disappointed in how he handled a request for information and understanding by a citizen. He gets negative customer service points from me.

The concept of

From the discussion I heard from SWEPCO a few months ago there is no talk of moving the substation. The proposed new, bigger power poles are based on the substation being where it currently is. If you drive south of the substation on University Ave you will see that SWEPCO has already put in the gigantic power poles going south of the Dickson St area. (One comment I heard was that since they have invested in the poles going south they are less likely to compromise on alternates for the Dickson to Maple stretch.)

Tommy Dewese of SWEPCO returned my call last week but was not informative AT ALL. I was very disappointed in how he handled a request for information and understanding by a citizen. He gets negative customer service points from me.

The concept of

there should be protests in the streets if these poles are to go up. it would totally detract from aesthetics of downtown in a major way. i would fully support ANY action against SWEPCO's putting those things up.

I don't think protests against SWEPCO would do any good. But at least you could appreciate that they'll be modern-looking metal poles instead of the web of old-fashioned wooden poles spread all over Bentonville.

I don't think protests against SWEPCO would do any good. But at least you could appreciate that they'll be modern-looking metal poles instead of the web of old-fashioned wooden poles spread all over Bentonville.

Still unattractive though. Things really do flow better (visually) when power lines are put underground, but I imagine it's expensive. In the long (LONG) run I'm sure they'll eventually be put undergroud, but not until the city is much, much larger/more dense.

there should be protests in the streets if these poles are to go up. it would totally detract from aesthetics of downtown in a major way. i would fully support ANY action against SWEPCO's putting those things up.

Unfortunately something is going to have to change. That's Swepco's main power line and as NWA grows so is the need on that main line. I'm not sure a city can force an electric company to place the line underground. The only other option I could possibly see is Swepco moving is substation to somewhere else which I imagine would be even more expensive than placing the lines underground.

Still unattractive though. Things really do flow better (visually) when power lines are put underground, but I imagine it's expensive. In the long (LONG) run I'm sure they'll eventually be put undergroud, but not until the city is much, much larger/more dense.

You could be right on this. At some point someone will probably come up with the money to put them underground. But it could be far off in the future.

Archived