Colony & Carmel Condo War

RiverwoodCLT

Looks like fire works are going to happen if the city ok this condo project. The problem is, we can not keep going out to build more houses on big lots. With the high cost of engery coming, it makes sense to make good use of the land inside the city limits. People are going to have to get use to more high density projects

in the city. The tax value on a condo project is a lot more that if it was covered by single houses.

They may win this battle, but I see many more coming. :blink:

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like fire works are going to happen if the city ok this condo project. The problem is, we can not keep going out to build more houses on big lots. With the high cost of engery coming, it makes sense to make good use of the land inside the city limits. People are going to have to get use to more high density projects

in the city. The tax value on a condo project is a lot more that if it was covered by single houses.

They may win this battle, but I see many more coming. :blink:

Apparently there was only a small amount of protesters. Also, there are people in the area who support this project. I think people really need to get over it. They live within the city limits - this type of growth is inevitable. If they don't like it, they should move someplace more rural.

http://www.news14charlotte.com/content/loc...=108690&SecID=2

Some protests going on today about this at the Govt Center

OMG.

Having lived in South Charlotte for a few years I can tell you people don't like their surroundings changed. They are also nervous about apartments and mass transit because they're both full of scary people. :w00t:

Does anyone know if the city council has an out on this, or are will they be forced to approve it? Is there any reason not to approve it? That's a republican district so it should pass council.

If the area can have SFHs, then condos make sense as they take up less space and more open space can be preserved.

OMG.

Having lived in South Charlotte for a few years I can tell you people don't like their surroundings changed. They are also nervous about apartments and mass transit because they're both full of scary people. :w00t:

Does anyone know if the city council has an out on this, or are will they be forced to approve it? Is there any reason not to approve it? That's a republican district so it should pass council.

If the area can have SFHs, then condos make sense as they take up less space and more open space can be preserved.

Yeah this is right in the thicket of it... very upscale, conservative area of south Charlotte not too far from SouthPark where the NIMBYs DO NOT want their surroundings changed for a 73 foot building.

I think they have to consider the re-zoning request, but I don't think they are required to approve it if they have a valid reason for doing so. I'm not sure what could constitute a valid reason.

In today's paper, http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/new...al/13410495.htm residents fuming over the plan...

"The site, at Carmel and Colony roads, is about 2 miles from SouthPark mall, where planners have encouraged more urban development. Prices would start at $800,000 per unit."

More urban development for this area would be a good thing.

http://www.giverny.net <the neighborhood's website, which seems to be down at the moment

The problem with adding density to this area, is there are not really any options out there for travel except the automobile and traffic congestion is an issue out there. I would rather see this type of development closer in, say on the Charlotte side of SouthPark, as that would not increase commuter traffic around the mall and it sets that area up for future non-auto transit.

The problem with adding density to this area, is there are not really any options out there for travel except the automobile and traffic congestion is an issue out there. I would rather see this type of development closer in, say on the Charlotte side of SouthPark, as that would not increase commuter traffic around the mall and it sets that area up for future non-auto transit.

I might agree except these units START at $800K. Even if there were options, buyers here would not be likely to use them. Given a choice between condos and SFH, condos make sense to preserve some of the trees and open space. The owner could strip the land and put up a ton of SFH without a rezone.

I might agree except these units START at $800K. Even if there were options, buyers here would not be likely to use them. Given a choice between condos and SFH, condos make sense to preserve some of the trees and open space. The owner could strip the land and put up a ton of SFH without a rezone.

I agree. People who own 800k condos play golf and spend the day at the mall...not commute to work at 8am. An increase in traffic is the last thing I am worried about (I live about 1.5 miles down Carmel from this proposal.

People get so anal about anything going in thier back yard! :blink:

On Giverny's website In the "About Us" section they pointed this out

Giverny is a beautiful neighborhood with close proximity to the best Charlotte has to offer.

Nearest Highway: Sufficiently far away from I-485 & I-77

Access to Nearest Highway: Colony/Rea Rd. to I-485 (exit 59); Fairview/Tivola Rd. to I-77 (exit 5).

Distance from Downtown Charlotte: 5.6 miles via Sharon Rd or Providence Rd. or Randolph Rd.

Nearest Park: Carmel Road Park is right next to Giverny. (We allow others to use it, too!)

Nearby Shopping and Entertainment: We can walk to the Greater SouthPark Shopping Complex including Phillips Place & Shoppes by the Park. (Most of us drive.)

1 - proud to be "sufficiently far away" from the interstates and downtown

2 - Carmel Road Park is not their neighborhood's park.. it's a city park, i don't get why they say "we allow others to share it, too" haha

3 - "We Can Walk to...SouthPark"....[but]"most of us drive"

http://ouronlineschools.org/Giverny/Aboutus.htm

Those people are so stuck up - I hope all of those condo rezonings are built!!

By the way - if they can WALK to Southpark, then they must be pretty close to all those terribly "tall" buildings around the mall. I'm sure the developer is going to leave a buffer between the condos and the existing homes, so most of the condos should be blocked/screened by the trees (I think)...

http://local.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&cp=...8&scene=1056336 map of the area, where the pond is, is where this should be going.

You can see the Giverny Neighborhood, and the Church at Charlotte and then take a look at the neighborhood across Colony.. the Crescent community. That neighborhood has zero connectivity!

Our local daily newspaper included a letter from the landowner, Henry James Jr., in the editorials section today.

To quote one paragraph:

"Farris' actions as a developer and a citizen are more than enough to defend his reputation. I would, however, like to defend my family's honor by sharing our vision."

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/observer/news...on/13462394.htm

Family honor seems a bit dramatic until you read his story and realize how important this land is to him and his family.

• 2 weeks later...

Tuscan has proposed an outstanding building by all standards that preserves more of the surrounding nature than has occured with any of the nearby developments including the homes of Giverny. The opposition might want to consider that most developers would do them a greater disservice and replicate the homes they now occupy.

I understand "getting NIMBY" when some uncreative and limited capacity developers want to maximize their profit at the expense of surrounding owners, but this lacks that singularity. I also understand that most people are afraid of having to look at something tall and they fear that it could look like the back side of a Courtside.... This building has great details and an enormous natural surroundings.

Thank you to Tuscan would be the appropriate response. The only missing item I see is the lack of connectivity in the entire area and as long as there is gas for the SUV, that will not be improved.

• 2 weeks later...

City Council voted 9-1 to approve these condominiums.

I think was an excellent choice. People often forget that one benefit to high density buildings is their ability to save the natural environment on the rest of the lot. This will be a huge positive for the neighborhood, and hopefully teach those people a lesson that condo isn't a dirty word.

Archived