Hotdogs

Rizzo

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've never been to the Silver Derby, but I'm told the Derby Dogs there could rival Yesterdog.

Yum!!! I just had two of them last night!

They're different and, depending on my mood and which bartender makes them, are sometimes better than Yester. They're not as soggy and sloppy as Yester, and the chili is better IMO. However, DO NOT expect the Yesterdog quick service. Two other buddies and I each ordered two at the same time a couple months ago, and the bartender was not too pleased. "What do you think this is, Yesterdog?" I've also had a bartender tell me straight up, "Not gonna do the dogs now...too busy."

Either way, when they offer 36 oz. mugs of Amber Bock for $3.50, and Derby Dogs cost 2 for $2.50, I'll put up with it!!

On an off note, has the Urban Planet crew ever had a real life "meet" like some other forums do? The Derby would be a great place...we should do it!

• 2 weeks later...

There's a place in Jenison - House of Dogs - not exactly recommended. My experience in this overpriced joint:

Server: What'll it be?

Me: 3 Slawdogs

Server: You mean sauerkraut?

Me: No, slaw

Server, You mean chili?

Me: No, SLAW!

Server: Oh, I didn't know they put that on hot dogs.

I'll stick to Corner Bar for my slawdogs & Yesterdog for the rest!

Is Gaines Twp Metro GR? :)

Well - since this is sort of close to my work, it is the only dog place I get to on a semi-regular basis - I'll add my 2 cents worth...

All-American Hot Dog on Kalamazoo - south of M6 does a fine job. They've recently added fries and chilli-cheese fries to their lineup. Good dogs, too.

• 1 month later...

As in the Ritz Koney on Ionia? I've never seen more than 3 people in there at one time and now they're buying out other places? I need to get into the hotdog business I guess.

Yup same one. The sign said they had another location as well, can't remember where. Stocking area maybe.

I tried Dogtown in Ada for lunch today. Pretty darn fine dogs! I highly recommend the ate-a dog with crushed potato chips. Yummy!

They had a sign inside that they had been bought out by Ritz Kony.

Is the Dogtown in Ada any relation to the Dog Town on the NW side near the Kopper Top?

EDIT: my question was just answered in a previous post... I'm not awake yet today =:-)

Yesterdog gets a NO from me. Their hotdogs are pork (or possibly a 3 meat blend of pork, chicken, and beef), which is a cheap inferior substitute for 100% beef hotdogs.

:shok: I've never heard someone say "no" to Yesterdog

Back when I just graduated from college and hardly had two pennies to my name, all I could afford was hotdogs (I'm not that creative) and I had them about 6 days a week. Well, that fixed me good, now I can't stand the sight of them :sick: . Just a word to the wise: don't over do it.

• 3 weeks later...

I said earlier in the thread that I thought yesterdog was over-rated. I thought I'd try it again. I ate at yesterdog last night and :sick: . That place just doesn't do it for me. The 'chili' is horrible and runny and the hotdogs are boiled. By the time i got to the second one it was all mush and gross..

I understand the draw because it's been around forever and blah blah, but I think it's time to get over the novelty. We're locals, let the tourists and newbies gather at yesterdog and let's move on to a better dog :)

/one man's opinion.

• 4 weeks later...

I never saw this thread before and it was linked in the Gaslight village and I would like to add my 2 cents.

Pronto Pups in Grand Haven are the best and are the reason my cholesterol shot up 5 years ago leading to my first colonoscopy. Sorry about the TMI, I still love them!

Fricanos on Alpine is run by Doug Fricano the son of the founder Gus. Doug ran the Grand Haven location for years before going after the Grand Rapids market.

Yesterdog and Cooks, longtime favorites of mine for coney/chili dogs.

A new favorite is on South Division between 44th and Kellogsville. Its on the East side of the road and is an old Dog - n- suds building with the canopy for getting service in your car. They don't have car service any longer but they do have a drive in. Kim the owner has a great special of 2 coney dogs, fries and a soda for $4.95. If you stop in tell her the George Clooney lookalike (me) sent you in, she will get a laugh and probably talk your ear off if you let her.

I'm a firm believer that yesterdogs are over-rated... and horribly messy. :)

I'm with you . . . I can't even walk into that place - it smells terrible. :sick:

Dam Dogs in Rockford are pretty dam good, though. And I really miss WDOG. That place was great - ate many a dog and watched many a basketball game there.

Archived