Alexandria

tombarnes

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The city is taking steps to prevent this....also from the Town Talk...

http://www.thetowntalk.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...=73229151532926

I suppose the recent application for demolition might be "payback" to the city for refusing to allow Dean to house Katrina evacuees in the building. Whether this is hot air or not, the idea of destroying this grand building is an extremely bad one, especially as the Bentley is in good shape.

I was horrified to read this recent article in the Alexandria Town Talk.....

http://www.thetowntalk.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...=73229151310069

The loss of this important building would be incalculable for the city and the state as well.

Alexandria leaders get off your butt and do something to make your city progressive. I do not think Alex has grown since the 1960's. This is a xhame for a city at the crossroad of LA

I do not think Alex has grown since the 1960's.

Yea, I think it's been declining in populations since the 60's. When you drive through the city on I-49, it seems like your going through a city with a much larger population than around 60,000.

Yea, I think it's been declining in populations since the 60's. When you drive through the city on I-49, it seems like your going through a city with a much larger population than around 60,000.

I don't know if it's an accurate analogy but from what I'm hearing it reminds me of Pine Bluff in southeast Arkansas.

• 1 month later...

A task force is being created to save the hotel. This article also mentions the Texas and Pacific Raiway Depot in Natchitoches. I had forgotten what a striking building this is. I hope the plans to restore it as a museum are successful.

From the Alexandria Town Talk....

http://www.thetowntalk.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a.../601250305/1002

Also from the Town Talk.....Alexandria's airport terminal is getting a makeover.....

http://www.thetowntalk.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...NEWS01/60125012

I had thought that the Alexandria airport had been losing both passengers and flights. Is the airport on the site of England AFB? My grandfather was briefly in command at England AFB in the late 1940's.

Also from the Town Talk.....Alexandria's airport terminal is getting a makeover.....

http://www.thetowntalk.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...NEWS01/60125012

I had thought that the Alexandria airport had been losing both passengers and flights. Is the airport on the site of England AFB? My grandfather was briefly in command at England AFB in the late 1940's.

I look forward to seeing what the new airport terminal looks like!

I believe Alexandria Int'l is a few miles away from England AFB, BTW.

^Yea I can definately see why that would lead you think it was on England AFB. Though I believe the airport used to be called England Airpark, and the name was recently changed to Alexandria Internation Airport to bring a larger "sound" and appeal to the city and the airport.

Hotel Bentley For Sale

The Town Talk has a small article mentioning that the Bentley is now offered for sale- at over 12 million! Has Mr. Dean lost his senses? isn't this more than twice what he was asking the last time he had the building on the block? Looks like a transparent bid for demolition is coming again.

The original airport in Alexandria is Esler Field. The current airport is indeed the old England AFB. The Feds turned it over to the city to lessen the economic blow of losing an AFB. The city has not grown very much, but the airpark is still pretty well managed.

The Int'l designation is there because the military still uses it to send out troops. I have seen NWA 747 charters for troops that go overseas. The runways there will handle any size aircraft. I have been told that an Adropov has even made an appearance there before.

The original airport in Alexandria is Esler Field. The current airport is indeed the old England AFB. The Feds turned it over to the city to lessen the economic blow of losing an AFB. The city has not grown very much, but the airpark is still pretty well managed.

The Int'l designation is there because the military still uses it to send out troops. I have seen NWA 747 charters for troops that go overseas. The runways there will handle any size aircraft. I have been told that an Adropov has even made an appearance there before.

Thanks for the info!

I wasn't completely sure about the aiport location, so thanks for clearing that up.

BTW, welcome to UrbanPlanet, MLU!

• 4 weeks later...

I agree. If I didn't know any better, I'd put its population at 100,000-150,000. But knowing better, I know Alex has MUCH more potential to be tapped. It seems the city needs a change in leadership.

Archived