Alexandria

tombarnes

• 6 months later...

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's some great news for downtown Alexandria and Cen-La. I hope it works out and the rooms will filled. Cyntreniks is currently re-developing/purchased several downtown BR properties as well; they seem to have vision and don't mind taking risk. The Bentley deserves that.

Does anyone have a photo of the Bentley ??

Yea, it really does seem that way. Hopefully a leader with a great vision for what the city can become will come around soon.

As ironic as it seems, Alexandria is currently in it's largest commercial and residential real estate boom in history, and it began before Katrina. The Union Tank Car plant, as well as developments at Fort Polk, spurred a lot of growth that was only compounded by Katrina. Rapides is also enjoying its status as the "Crossroads of Louisiana" with the 4-laning of 3 more highways. The latest statistics I saw showed Alexandria's year-to-year job count to be 2,300 higher in July '06 than July '05. Also, Rapides surpassed $1 billion in retail sales for the first time ever. It really does seem to be unprecedented and central Louisiana is quite economically healthy right now. Don't let population statistics fool you -- with Louisiana's archaic annexation laws, cities' population declines are indicative of nothing since it's extremely difficult for them to annex new territory.

My only concern is that Alexandria is so desperate for growth that they're encouraging sprawl. Hwy. 28 west toward Leesville is becoming a sprawl-a-thon with a new Super Wal-mart, other strip malls, and four subdivisions (my count, not official) being built. IMO they're not prepared for growth and will be trading new development for the eventual decline of the MacArthur/Masonic Dr. area.

But, in any case, the economic situation down there is far better now than 2 years ago. The new airport terminal opens in December and it will be the most aesthetically pleasing terminal in the South IMO. The airport authority did an excellent job and it looks great! :thumbsup:

Alexandria Airport interior photo Gallery from The Town Talk

Airport exterior gallery

Union Tank Car opening

Nicely done both inside and out. Very impressive for Alexandria. Edit: Let me add that I should have said "very impressive for Alexandria OR any other city." That airport remodel is awesome. I'd like to see that in person sometime.

The new airport terminal in Alex will be very nice. How many airlines will use the new facility?

Four to my knowledge. Right now there are three -- Northwest, Delta, and Continental -- and a fourth will be coming in once the new terminal opens. Can you believe I forgot who the new carrier is... :blush: The new carrier will be flying the AEX-DFW route.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
That's some great news for downtown Alexandria and Cen-La. I hope it works out and the rooms will filled. Cyntreniks is currently re-developing/purchased several downtown BR properties as well; they seem to have vision and don't mind taking risk. The Bentley deserves that.

Does anyone have a photo of the Bentley ??

Thanks for posting that flatiger! Great to have you stop by here :thumbsup:

That's good news! It's great to see innovative people like Cyntreniks continue to invest in these classic properties; where Dean just sits on things til they almost get demolished. Cyntreniks has several new re-developments starting in downtown Baton Rouge. Very positive stuff.

Here are a few postcard depictions of the Hotel during its heyday, and a short article about the planned renovations:

36_1_b.jpg29601738_tp.jpg

024280B.jpg

ALEXANDRIA -- The group that has bought the historic Hotel Bentley plans to make its entry and lobby "more ornate than when Buddy Tudor owned it," says chairman Brace B. Godfrey Jr. He and John Schneider are partners in Centreniks Hospitality Group LLC, which is putting up $14 million to buy and renovate the eight-story, European-style hotel, which closed in 2004. It was completed in 1908 and features a balconied lobby, crystal chandeliers and antiques. Godfrey said he isn't just interested in money. He wants to preserve history, "to return the Bentley to its glory days."

The Bentley is among several historic buildings which Godfrey and Schneider have bought from Baton Rouge multimillionaire Bob Dean.

• 4 months later...

Cyntreniks says it needs help from city to reopen Hotel Bentley: A deadline for Cyntreniks Hospitality Co. to buy the Hotel Bentley in Alexandria from developer Bob Dean has passed, reports the Associated Press. Officials with Baton Rouge-based Cyntreniks are urging for a public-private partnership, similar to what was used to open the Hilton Capitol Center, in order to get the Bentley back in business.

>courtesy of BusinessReport

:angry: This does not sound good at all. Of course, it does not surprise me. Developers have become used to receiving assistance from cities. In this case, it think some assistance is warranted due to the importance of the building to Alexandria's downtown. I am worried that the city may not be willing or able to provide a carrot suitable for the developers. Cross your fingers everyone!

• 2 months later...

Louisiana's fifth law school (and the only one north of Baton Rouge) will be developed at Louisiana College in Pineville, per this Town Talk article.

They plan to open for classes in the 2009-2010 school year. Fees will be competitive with the other schools, accreditation venues are already being lined up. I hope this really takes off!

He said the law school will be an asset to Central Louisiana

• 6 months later...

I really hope this works out for the historic Hotel Bentley! It's a nice size with 178-rooms. That area of downtown Alexandria near the convention center and riverfront really has potential. This is the same company is also re-developing several historic buildings in downtown Baton Rouge.

B.R. company revives plan to purchase Hotel Bentley

http://www.thetowntalk.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...EWS01/802290335

• 3 weeks later...

A Tax Increment Financing plan has been proposed which will include the riverfront between the OK Allen Bridge and the Cottingham Expressway, including the Bentley, the Convention Center, and the former Holiday Inn. The TIF would help finance infrastructure improvements in the area.

It seems, though, that a lot of locals don't understand the way the TIF works and thinks it means an increase in taxes. They don't get the whole concept of property taxes being frozen and the excess funding the improvements. I'm concerned that the TIF might fail simply because they don't know what it is!

• 1 year later...

Finally??

Deal reached on sale of Alexandria's Hotel Bentley

Baton Rouge real estate developer Bob Dean and Hospitality Initiatives Partnership have reached an agreement in principle for the sale of Alexandria's historic Hotel Bentley.

Mayor Jacques Roy announced the deal Tuesday at a city council meeting. He said the two sides "arrived at a purchase price" on or around Jan. 19. "They have arrived at a price and to my understanding have signed an agreement," Roy said.

The hotel, which is owned by Dean, has been closed since December 2004.

Paul Cooper with Lifestyle Hospitality in Richmond, Va., who is one of the three HIP principals, told The (Alexandria) Town Talk that a written agreement for the sale of the Bentley is in place. "We've come to a written agreement with Bob Dean and his group to acquire the Hotel Bentley," Cooper said. "Right now we're in the process of negotiating a cooperative endeavor agreement with the mayor's office, and the timing of the transaction for the Bentley will be tied directly to the completion of our diligence with the city."

Cooper said he could not comment about the sale price, which has long been rumored at roughly $6 million.

Dean could not be reached for comment.

The Bentley is one of three downtown properties at the heart of the city's hotels initiative, in which HIP would take over ownership and/or management of the Bentley, the bankrupt Alexander Fulton Hotel and the city-owned Alexandria Riverfront Center

http://www.businessreport.com/news/2010/jan/27/deal-reached-sale-alexandrias-hotel-rlet1/

• 3 months later...

It's been a few years, but the last time I was there, it appeared that there was a fairly successful upscale restaurant across from the Bentley called The Crystal Room. At the time, it was brand new and had what appeared to be a very skillfully adapted interior. This area seemed likely to be the epicenter for any revitalization of Alexandria's downtown. Anyone have an update on the status of this restaurant and the storefronts adjacent to it?

Archived