Nelson's Crossing, Upscale Shopping Center

Mith242

I kind of like it. Odd that Mediterranean architecture is taking off in NWA, it doesn't really fit with the area.

Yeah that does seem to be one of the trends. Maybe if we had some more Mission style architecture it might blend in a little better. I know there's differences but at there are some similarities as well. Of course if you wanted it to fit into the area of the city it's going into you could just make it your average strip mall. :lol: So in this instance I'm not going to complain too much because in my opinion it will be better than anything else in that area. But I do see your point. Had I been the one developing this, I would have gone with something else than a Mediterranean/Tuscan style.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Without clocks, NWA would just be one big Vegas, wouldn't it?

Yes, how on earth would we know what time to stopping drinking and when to go to church? :lol:

Better yet, how would we know which STRPCTRS are "upscale"....if it weren't for their clock towers?

I'm just poking a little fun at this project.

I hope it doesn't end up looking really "faux" even though by definition it is. I wonder if its real stucco or that spray on fiberglass composite stucco crap.

The clock tower looks especially contrived to my eye, that's why it stands out to me.

I need to get on the city council so I can direct these developments myself.

Yes, how on earth would we know what time to stopping drinking and when to go to church? :lol:

Better yet, how would we know which STRPCTRS are "upscale"....if it weren't for their clock towers?

I'm just poking a little fun at this project.

I hope it doesn't end up looking really "faux" even though by definition it is. I wonder if its real stucco or that spray on fiberglass composite stucco crap.

The clock tower looks especially contrived to my eye, that's why it stands out to me.

I need to get on the city council so I can direct these developments myself.

If I had to guess I'd unfortunately have to bet it will be the 'fake' stucco. I plan on taking some pics of the first phase which has a finished looking exterior this weekend. Maybe you'll be able to get a better idea then. Any particular close-ups or something that you'd like to request?

If I had to guess I'd unfortunately have to bet it will be the 'fake' stucco. I plan on taking some pics of the first phase which has a finished looking exterior this weekend. Maybe you'll be able to get a better idea then. Any particular close-ups or something that you'd like to request?

Haha..

No, I trust your expert eye.

I'll be moving half of my belongings up there next weekend anyway. If I want to test the stucco, I suppose I can do it then.

Haha..

No, I trust your expert eye.

I'll be moving half of my belongings up there next weekend anyway. If I want to test the stucco, I suppose I can do it then.

Okay, good luck with the moving. I feel for you, I hate moving. Although I'm sure it will be worth it when it's all done.

Yeah that does seem to be one of the trends. Maybe if we had some more Mission style architecture it might blend in a little better. I know there's differences but at there are some similarities as well. Of course if you wanted it to fit into the area of the city it's going into you could just make it your average strip mall. :lol: So in this instance I'm not going to complain too much because in my opinion it will be better than anything else in that area. But I do see your point. Had I been the one developing this, I would have gone with something else than a Mediterranean/Tuscan style.

The Northwest Arkansas style, also known as the Ozark style, is changing to what people moving here are used to in their neck of the woods. Expect more Mediterranean and Mission styles along with more modern architecture. Don't expect to ever see any more Ozark style in this part of the Ozarks. NWA Mall and the Inn at the Mill are prime examples of Ozark style. So why all of a sudden are we seeing Med/Mission style? Is this the Ozarks or the Pacific Coast?

I like the Med/Mission style, but I like it better in Santa Monica than here. I happen to like the Ozark style here... in the Ozarks.

I think part of it is just either for marketing or for that matter to have something different. Look at Fiesta Square here in Fayetteville. This was long before the hispanic influx also. Shopping areas want to stand out so I think a lot of times they try to do something to stand out.

I think part of it is just either for marketing or for that matter to have something different. Look at Fiesta Square here in Fayetteville. This was long before the hispanic influx also. Shopping areas want to stand out so I think a lot of times they try to do something to stand out.

So what's next then... pink stucco with blue neon lights and a couple palm trees? :huh:

So what's next then... pink stucco with blue neon lights and a couple palm trees? :huh:

That sounds very Miami...

Vice.

I think there are just trends in architecture, particularly for cheaper structures that aren't necessarily intended to last longer than 30 years or so.

Large swaths of Plano look very "eighties", with lots of mauve, maroon, and blocky, heavy looking architecture. The city's first big wave of growth was going strong during that period.

I'm starting to like the style like the Old Feed Mill, and yes, even some of the Mason Blackwell stuff. It is kind of neat that it draws from the agricultural buildings of the area.

For residential development, I can't say that I've seen much that actually follows a distinct pattern of architecture in NWA, perhaps "ranch style" which is a euphemism for "generic, suburban brick".

Commercial buildings tend to be very trendy.

That is why for more important projects like Divinity (which I assume are intended to last longer than 30 years), I prefer a more timeless style of architecture.

Speaking of Tacky Buildings in NWA.... :D

MasonsDad, have you been by the La Bamba Mexican Restaurant in Rogers recently? If you haven't they have painted the entire building a bright orange and another shade of either red or orange over the entire building. It looks great from my opinion, but it certainly is a bit tacky, especially being next to the earthy Dixeland mall.

:lol: Not sure how upscale you can make that look.

MasonsDad, have you been by the La Bamba Mexican Restaurant in Rogers recently? If you haven't they have painted the entire building a bright orange and another shade of either red or orange over the entire building. It looks great from my opinion, but it certainly is a bit tacky, especially being next to the earthy Dixeland mall.

Generally speaking you see a lot more bright colors south of the border. You'll even see some bright colors being used in some of the small Hispanic shops in the area.

I just saw the Acambaros in Bentonville with that same paint scheme... ewwww. Burnt orange with a red roof! You should see the Mexican restaurant on Sunset in Springdale that has a very vibrant and festive paint scheme... I'm not sure what the name is, but it actually looks nice.

:lol: Not sure how upscale you can make that look.

Obviously you've never seen the Don Cesar Beach Resort in St. Petersburg, Florida. It's a huge pink mansion on the water and it's very upscale. There's a lot of pink stucco and some neon in central and south Florida.

Generally speaking you see a lot more bright colors south of the border. You'll even see some bright colors being used in some of the small Hispanic shops in the area.

Considering how many Latin Americans we have here I like the southwest look... just not the trashy ones that don't bother painting over the previously closed and run down gas station they seem to end up in.

There was a small b&w pic of the first phase of Nelson's Crossing in the Northwest Arkansas Times today. They mentioned that stores should be able to move in at the very beginning of May. The golf store, florist shop and Starbucks will move into it. Work has already started on the second phase which is the main part of the development. Then the third phase will replace the old building where the golf store and florist shop are. A 'national tenant' will occupy it, which they haven't announced who it is yet.

Don't forget Marble Slab Creamery.

Seems like there's another I'm forgetting.

Oh yeah. I had heard a while back ago talk of a Qdoba going in. I really haven't heard anymore talk of that though. I'm pretty sure Marble Slab Creamery and Qdoba, if they are still planning a store here, will be part of the second phase. Maybe Scarpino's should consider a location here. Some gelato would fit into the 'Tuscan' theme.

Excellent. :thumbsup:

Try their pina colada ice cream if you get the chance.

I'm not a big pineapple or coconut fan but I'll certainly check them out.

At some point in time, I did hear something about On The Border going in on the corner there, but it has been quite a while since then. Seems kind of strange to put another Qdoba in, I wonder how the one is doing on Dickson? Although there are not really too many mexican restaurants around the mall, El Chico is the only one I can think of now.

At some point in time, I did hear something about On The Border going in on the corner there, but it has been quite a while since then. Seems kind of strange to put another Qdoba in, I wonder how the one is doing on Dickson? Although there are not really too many mexican restaurants around the mall, El Chico is the only one I can think of now.

When I first heard about Qdoba at Nelson's Crossing I was worried that they might move the current one. But that move would surprise me. I would think they would do pretty well on Dickson and not too far from the university. I think having another location isn't too odd. Although since the Flying Burrito is rather similar I wonder how many locations between the two we can support here. An On the Border wouldn't surprise me too much either. By the way I'll have a few pics to post here shortly.

Okay here's some pics that I promised earlier. It was a pretty blah morning though. I think it's supposed to be sunny tomorrow morning so I might go out early and take some more pics while I'm out. In the last few pics you can see some concrete going up on the second phase.

img4532ss3sz.jpg

img4533ss3mq.jpg

img4535ss3cy.jpg

img4536ss4wf.jpg

img4537ss1lj.jpg

Oh yeah. I had heard a while back ago talk of a Qdoba going in. I really haven't heard anymore talk of that though. I'm pretty sure Marble Slab Creamery and Qdoba, if they are still planning a store here, will be part of the second phase. Maybe Scarpino's should consider a location here. Some gelato would fit into the 'Tuscan' theme.

I'm not a big pineapple or coconut fan but I'll certainly check them out.

They use all "real" ingredients, that's what makes it good. Instead of artificial flavoring you get real coconut and pineapple. Of course, a family of 3 can spend as much there as they would on dinner at an inexpensive restaurant.

Archived