1000 Home Development in Little Rock

tim2462

Back on June 6th, Arkansas Business reported that Cooper Land Development, of Rogers, was planning

a large residential development in WLR off of Crystal Valley Road, near Colonel Miller. Cooper developed Bella Vista and Hot Springs Village. Those of you familiar with the area know that this is near the Eagle Nest / Eagle Hill apartments and golf course. I was watching the city of Little Rock board meeting yesterday and they said that there were 1000 homes approved for that area...they did not say whether it was all going to be in the same development...There hasn't been anything said since the June story about Cooper's plans.

This is pretty exciting, because this area already has a lot of housing...this will increase our density and other developments in the area will follow. There has already been several new things built in the area...mainly banks and a few restaurants so far. There are over 2000 apartment units in the area. I don't know how many houses are in Otter Creek, but it's huge. There are several subdivisions around Otter Creek, including the new Stagecoach Village. There are subdivisions on Crystal Valley Rd...and another 1000 homes over there will really fill in that area.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's great news for Central Arkansas!!!

The company is actually Cooper Communities. They used to be based in Bella Vista until they moved their office to an office tower of I-540. Do you know if these are geared more for upper middle class or middle class or high class?

I would guess middle to upper middle, being in that area. I'm wondering how they are going to fit

1000 homes in...but I guess there is more land over there than I thought.

Any ideas if this will end up being an area like Bella Vista or Hot Springs Village?

I doubt if it would be that big...because of the limited land...it will basically be spread out

along Crystal Valley Rd on one side with I-430 being on the other side. This is why I'm

wondering how 1000 homes will fit over there. I guess it will be very dense and will be

more long than wide, with I-430 on its border.

I doubt if it would be that big...because of the limited land...it will basically be spread out

along Crystal Valley Rd on one side with I-430 being on the other side. This is why I'm

wondering how 1000 homes will fit over there. I guess it will be very dense and will be

more long than wide, with I-430 on its border.

Okay, yeah I didn't know the area too well but I was wondering if there was enough room for something the size of Bella Vista or Hot Springs Village out there.

Why is that if you don't mind me asking.

It's relatively flat for one compared to the rest of LR. Otter Creek is very nice but there is little retail out in Southwest near there. It also has a lot of trailerish residue from its days of being way out in the county.

Southwest LR has a generally dirty name in Pulaski Co because of higher crime and blight. Otter Creek is a nice development out in the middle of it and it sounds like this will be to but you still have some rough 'hoods closer than I would like.

It's relatively flat for one compared to the rest of LR. Otter Creek is very nice but there is little retail out in Southwest near there. It also has a lot of trailerish residue from its days of being way out in the county.

Southwest LR has a generally dirty name in Pulaski Co because of higher crime and blight. Otter Creek is a nice development out in the middle of it and it sounds like this will be to but you still have some rough 'hoods closer than I would like.

LOL that area is not in SWLR...it is in WLR. The high crime area (SWLR) is 3 miles east of

I-430....anything west of I-430 is WLR. There is virtually no crime in the otter creek area.

It's just one mile from rave theatre...and we all know that is not in SWLR. The mobile

homes that remain off of crystal valley are being weeded out by all of the new subdivisions.

LOL that area is not in SWLR...it is in WLR. The high crime area (SWLR) is 3 miles east of

I-430....anything west of I-430 is WLR. There is virtually no crime in the otter creek area.

It's just one mile from rave theatre...and we all know that is not in SWLR. The mobile

homes that remain off of crystal valley are being weeded out by all of the new subdivisions.

SWLR is 5 miles east of the Otter Creek area...Bryant is closer than SWLR.

The city of Little Rock classifies this area as part of the West Little Rock growth area.

The racial/ethnic makeup in this area is very different than that of SWLR. So, I'm not

really sure why you think of it as SWLR...but it is clearly not.

When the closest Wal-Mart is on Baseline, you're in Southwest LR. I don't know anyone who considers that area West LR. I know a lot of people who moved out there and few that were happy once the got there. Most moved back N/NE. That said, if there's enough middle class and upwards population there for the area and it can draw in more of its own retail and restaurants things might change and it might become a desirable area. The biggest problem is there is too much multifamily residential already and the apartments are sketchy even though they are pretty new. Jim Lindsay builds crappy apts and there's no way around that.

When the closest Wal-Mart is on Baseline, you're in Southwest LR. I don't know anyone who considers that area West LR. I know a lot of people who moved out there and few that were happy once the got there. Most moved back N/NE. That said, if there's enough middle class and upwards population there for the area and it can draw in more of its own retail and restaurants things might change and it might become a desirable area. The biggest problem is there is too much multifamily residential already and the apartments are sketchy even though they are pretty new. Jim Lindsay builds crappy apts and there's no way around that.

So when did we start classifying an area of town by the closest wal-mart? There aren't many wal-marts in Little Rock. The closest Wal-Mart to "The Heights" is Bowman, but that doesn't mean they live in WLR. The closest wal-mart to downtown LR is in North Little Rock, but we don't say they live in NLR. Baseline Wal-Mart is less than 1 mile closer to Otter Creek than the Bryant Wal-Mart. Everybody I know in that area shops in Bryant. This area may lack retail and such, but with all of this development it will sure follow. The big new development in Bryant was going to be in the otter creek area, but they opted for prime interstate frontage. While it is true that Jim Lindsey doesn't build the best apartments...the ones in that area are some of the better ones and there are other apartments in the area as well that are very nice. But anyway, it is West Little Rock, as classified by the city. Anybody knows that anything west of I-430 in LR is WLR. WLR zip codes are 72223 and 72210. Otter Creek area is in 72210. SWLR is 5 miles away and is 72209. I don't know of anybody who would say that Stagecoach road is swlr...it may lack some of the things that you like, but it is not the ghetto of swlr.

So when did we start classifying an area of town by the closest wal-mart? There aren't many wal-marts in Little Rock. The closest Wal-Mart to "The Heights" is Bowman, but that doesn't mean they live in WLR. The closest wal-mart to downtown LR is in North Little Rock, but we don't say they live in NLR. Baseline Wal-Mart is less than 1 mile closer to Otter Creek than the Bryant Wal-Mart. Everybody I know in that area shops in Bryant. This area may lack retail and such, but with all of this development it will sure follow. The big new development in Bryant was going to be in the otter creek area, but they opted for prime interstate frontage. While it is true that Jim Lindsey doesn't build the best apartments...the ones in that area are some of the better ones and there are other apartments in the area as well that are very nice. But anyway, it is West Little Rock, as classified by the city. Anybody knows that anything west of I-430 in LR is WLR. WLR zip codes are 72223 and 72210. Otter Creek area is in 72210. SWLR is 5 miles away and is 72209. I don't know of anybody who would say that Stagecoach road is swlr...it may lack some of the things that you like, but it is not the ghetto of swlr.

When someone says WLR, anyone that knows LR thinks of bowman curve, chenal, etc. Not one person that lives in little rock thinks of otter creek as WLR. You can classify it as WLR if you want since it is west of 430, but that doesn't make it WLR. Oh, and WLR zip codes are not 72223 and 72210. There are several different zip codes in what people consider WLR, and 72210 isn't one of them (72223 is).

I don't think Aporkalypse was saying Stagecoach was in SWLR, I think he was saying its proximity to SWLR is not very appealing. The ghetto is a five minute drive from otter creek.

When someone says WLR, anyone that knows LR thinks of bowman curve, chenal, etc. Not one person that lives in little rock thinks of otter creek as WLR. You can classify it as WLR if you want since it is west of 430, but that doesn't make it WLR. Oh, and WLR zip codes are not 72223 and 72210. There are several different zip codes in what people consider WLR, and 72210 isn't one of them (72223 is).

I don't think Aporkalypse was saying Stagecoach was in SWLR, I think he was saying its proximity to SWLR is not very appealing. The ghetto is a five minute drive from otter creek.

72210 is most certainly a west little rock zip code. it goes from the otter creek area all the way up to kanis road. It covers all of the area being developed off of kanis...including new subdivisions and capitol hill apts...if you know where that is...its off of cooper orbit...that's all 72210. It's yours or anyone's perogative whether or not you like an area...but because otter creek is a five minute drive from SWLR is no reason to not like it. With that logic, people shouldn't like downtown and the river market because it's a 2 minute drive from the high crime and ghetto area south of i-630...and and only a five minute drive from roosevelt. The WLR growth area, as classified by the city goes from otter creek area all the way up to the arkansas river.

The bowman, chenal area is what you're used to knowing as wlr, because that's the only area with a lot of development. However, there is development going on in the otter creek area...just up the road near the rave on colonel glenn, and will eventually spread up bowman road from there. WLR is not just a few neighborhoods, it's an entire area that will continue to grow. I know a lot of snobby people would like to think that wlr is only chenal valley and it's surroundings...and if that makes them feel better, so be it.

09erville is the worst part of SWLR, no doubt, but Southwest is not just one Zip. The Wal-Mart analogy is important as it's the complaint I hear from people that live out there - they generally have to drive to West LR or Bryant to do their errands because the stores and restaurants nearby aren't safe in their opinions, though I think that's largely hyperbole.

West LR traditionally was everything West of Mississippi and North of I-630/Financial Centre Pkwy. Times have changed and that has moved somewhat South but there is no way West LR extends South of Col Glenn. It's not "just Chenal", Chenal's a tiny piece of it. The whole Hwy 10 corridor, Rodney Parham and Pleasant Valley, Colony West, St Charles/Napa Valley and now the Bowman area are all valid parts of West LR.

Draw a line Southwest from downtown LR and see where it eventually ends up.

I don't know if this is the appropriate place to post this, but I'll go ahead and do it.

It looks like Jermain Taylor purchased a 4,200-SF home on a 39-acres in North Little Rock for $1.6 million.

Yeah Arkansas Business also reported that another home topped the $1Mil mark too over in Chenal Valley too.

Well, 72210 is a WLR zip code...it goes way up almost to chenal, just past kanis.

Since WLR is not a city, just a classification of a section of town, there are no lines

depicting where it is. It's just a matter of who you ask. As the city has grown, what

part that is called WLR has constantly changed. As it continues to grow, spreading west

and south in the western part of the city, what is considered to be WLR will change.

The Otter Creek area is not in SWLR...and you say it's not in WLR...so, what part of the

city is it in? It's not downtown, nor midtown...in it's location, it only makes sense that it is

part of WLR, since it's 1.5 miles from colonel glenn and west of 430. Anyway, It really

doesn't matter...we know that it's an area that is not ghetto and is close to the growth in

the rest of the westward expansion. A drive up crystal valley takes you to lawson rd and

colonel glenn...with all of that land, you just know that it won't be long before that will be

bustling with activity as the city spreads west...and it will be wlr. The whole area is

considered by the city to be the "West Little Rock Growth and Planning area"

Current ideas say that anything west of 430 is west little rock, that imaginary idea

in people's minds will probably move even further west in the future.

Well, 72210 is a WLR zip code...it goes way up almost to chenal, just past kanis.

Since WLR is not a city, just a classification of a section of town, there are no lines

depicting where it is. It's just a matter of who you ask. As the city has grown, what

part that is called WLR has constantly changed. As it continues to grow, spreading west

and south in the western part of the city, what is considered to be WLR will change.

The Otter Creek area is not in SWLR...and you say it's not in WLR...so, what part of the

city is it in? It's not downtown, nor midtown...in it's location, it only makes sense that it is

part of WLR, since it's 1.5 miles from colonel glenn and west of 430. Anyway, It really

doesn't matter...we know that it's an area that is not ghetto and is close to the growth in

the rest of the westward expansion. A drive up crystal valley takes you to lawson rd and

colonel glenn...with all of that land, you just know that it won't be long before that will be

bustling with activity as the city spreads west...and it will be wlr. The whole area is

considered by the city to be the "West Little Rock Growth and Planning area"

Current ideas say that anything west of 430 is west little rock, that imaginary idea

in people's minds will probably move even further west in the future.

You're right, WLR is not a city so it is defined by what most people think of WLR. And that is Rodney Parham, Bowman Curve, Chenal, Highway 10, etc.

I will admit I was wrong about 72110, I wasn't even thinking about it coming up next to Kanis.

Oh, and I don't hate Otter Creek. I lived there for several years, and I loved it. I don't feel that it's too close to SWLR, I was simply clarifying Aporkalypse's postition for him (I apologize, Aporkalypse :D ).

Notice this company's Southwest Little Rock office (LTRKARSW). From downtown Little Rock, which direction do you head to reach this?

Southwest.

Maybe it's the negative connotation of Southwest Little Rock. Maybe we should call the Otter Creek area Far Southwest Little Rock or maybe North Bryant. Regardless, it's Southwest of Little Rock, nearly as far Southwest as you can get.

Another big difference is that instead of Central and to a lesser extent Hall where most of the West Little Rock kids go to school, that area falls into the domain of the Southwest LR high schools - Fair and McClellan.

Little%20Rock.jpg

Cantrell Rd, Hwy 10 west of I-430 is Northwest Little Rock....it's northwest from downtown, but we don't call it Northwest Little Rock, people lump it in with WLR. So, your logic doesn't work by just claiming you have to travel sw to get there, so therefor it's southwest little rock. Cantrell is like Far Northwest in the city. The new supercenter at chenal and cantrell is as far Northwest as you can go in the city, but we call it west little rock.

Oh, and that map is outdated...it doesn't show the city limits west of 430 from kanis down to rave and down close to otter creek that has been added.

Cantrell Rd, Hwy 10 west of I-430 is Northwest Little Rock....it's northwest from downtown, but we don't call it Northwest Little Rock, people lump it in with WLR. So, your logic doesn't work by just claiming you have to travel sw to get there, so therefor it's southwest little rock.

The city does use the term Northwest LR for districting purposes and generally it includes everything in the Hwy 10 corridor. The way LR developed with Pleasant Valley spawning Pleasant Forest and then St Charles that part of West LR developed together.

Nobody refers to Northwest LR conversationally but when you talk about neighborhoods Southwest LR and West LR are terms that are often used, Northwest LR is not.

As for Otter Creek, it's a couple of miles from Southwest Regional Medical Center and the kids go to JA Fair, again it's a different community than those to the North.

I always thought of West LR as being totally in Hall and Central's boundaries on this map. Now, I think it might extend a little bit South of it. You think of it as being McClellan's area, I guess, meaning what was called Southwest LR in the 60s and 70s. Still, living Southwest of Southwest LR is still Southwest LR in my book.

LRSD high school zones

Archived