New Statues downtown...?

GvilleSC

I think that the city of Greenville has done a great job of honoring its most famous and influential people from history through bronze statues that line Main Street. I know that there is going to be one of Charles Townes (the Greenville native, who invented the laser!) near the Hyatt I believe and I remember reading something a long time ago about a statue of two African American kids from Sterling High I think that would be on the corner of Washington and Main to represent the Role of the Black community or something... That's been a while, so I'm not sure if it was just talk/proposal or what...

Anyway, I think that Carroll Campbell deserves a spot downtown. He did wonders for the state as a whole and for the Upstate with BMW. :thumbsup: But where? Any ideas?

Knox White will definitely get his own place one day too! I think Knox should definitely be in the West End at Falls Park. He was very instrumental in its rebirth...

Any thoughts? Others?

I like your ideas, GvilleSC. Charles Townes, a statue to recognize African American influence on Greenville, and Carroll Campbell are all excellent choices. I totally support all three.

I also agree that Knox White will get his own one day, and rightfully so.

What about Hollingsworth? Perhaps his statue would need to be somewhere at Verdae, rather than downtown. With the town center planned there, I assume there will be ample space for a nice statue of him.

Anyway, I think that Carroll Campbell deserves a spot downtown. He did wonders for the state as a whole and for the Upstate with BMW. :thumbsup: But where? Any ideas?

Why not as part of a re-worked Piazza Bergamo? Or, perhaps in amongst the centerpiece fountain area at River Place?

As far as others, I know that there's an effort underway to raise funding for a statue of Pete Hollis at the entrance to the Hollis Highway.

What about Jesse Jackson? :rofl:

Oh gee, how did I overlook him?! I mean he has helped Greenville and South Carolina in so many ways including a boycott that is preventing Greenville from ever landing the NCAA basketball tournament anytime soon... where would we be without him to bring race into every issue and preventing the United States from moving forward!?!?!?!.... Gosh, I think there might be a good space for him... under Reedy River Falls? :rofl:

Although, I must say that he has done some good in his lifetime...

The Charles Townes statue will be on Main Street near Camperdown, in front of Riverplace. Should be unveiled sometime in March/April.

The statue depicts him seated on the same bench that Dr. Townes was sitting on in Washington DC (?) when he originally theorized the laser.

Did you know that Dr. Townes is only the second person to ever win both a Nobel Prize and a Templeton Prize (www.templetonprize.org)? The first being Mother Teresa.

I know there is one in Mauldin, or at least I think there is, but what about a Peg Leg Bates Statue.

I think there's one in Fountain Inn... but what would yall think about famous folks from the Greater Greenville Area, even if it means the subburbs... Kevin Garnet from Mauldin, Beg Leg Bates from Fountain Inn....??? I'm not sure how I'd feel about it. I doubt our neighboring cities would like it too much... stealing their claim to fame and all.

The Charles Townes statue will be on Main Street near Camperdown, in front of Riverplace. Should be unveiled sometime in March/April.

The statue depicts him seated on the same bench that Dr. Townes was sitting on in Washington DC (?) when he originally theorized the laser.

Did you know that Dr. Townes is only the second person to ever win both a Nobel Prize and a Templeton Prize (www.templetonprize.org)? The first being Mother Teresa.

Good to know! I did not know either! good stuff

Oh gee, how did I overlook him?! I mean he has helped Greenville and South Carolina in so many ways including a boycott that is preventing Greenville from ever landing the NCAA basketball tournament anytime soon... where would we be without him to bring race into every issue and preventing the United States from moving forward!?!?!?!.... Gosh, I think there might be a good space for him... under Reedy River Falls? :rofl:

Although, I must say that he has done some good in his lifetime...

While I am not a fan of Jesse Jackson, I am sorry you feel this way about one person. He has done less damage than Bob Jones with his ultra-conservative and racist ways. I think if you want to point the finger at someone "preventing the United States from moving foward" as you say, you need to take a look at your evil, backstabbing government and politicians and all of the progress stopping agencies it has created. Do your research. Don't blast one person until you know more about them or what they really are trying to accomplish. Would he be a better person if he started a war that has killed thousands for no real reason at all other than the name of money and power? Spending billions that is not even really his. Hmmm. ;)

Edited by motonenterprises

Would he be a better person if he started a war that has killed thousands for no real reason at all other than the name of money and power? Spending billions that is not even really his. Hmmm. ;)

No real reason at all? Take a look at Iraqi's lives before and their lives now... there's no doubt that theyre better off. You don't get this from the news because they are all so liberal and hate everything that comes out of the Republican party.

I know several people serving this country, fighting for you and me over there, and each one of them has told me how discouraging it was to hear the democrats' attacks on the war and it makes them feel pretty much worthless. That's not how you repay people paying the ultimate sacrafice... They also have said many times in letters that everytime they come in contact with Iraqi civilians, they are thanked and that you can see their appreciation in their eyes. Atleast someone besides myself appreciates their efforts. It's not about who's right and who's wrong. People in this world are living in terrible situations, and despite the reasons that sent us there, our efforts are humanitarian now and these people, both our soldiers and the Iraqi nation, need our support now.

Americans need to stop being so selfish and stop worrying about theirselves and money. If you're going to give this holiday season, give hope and inspiration to Iraqis and American Soldiers! Support them

Edited by GvilleSC

No real reason at all? Take a look at Iraqi's lives before and their lives now... there's no doubt that theyre better off. You don't get this from the news because they are all so liberal and hate everything that comes out of the Republican party.

I know several people serving this country, fighting for you and me over there, and each one of them has told me how discouraging it was to hear the democrats' attacks on the war and it makes them feel pretty much worthless. That's not how you repay people paying the ultimate sacrafice... They also have said many times in letters that everytime they come in contact with Iraqi civilians, they are thanked and that you can see their appreciation in their eyes. Atleast someone besides myself appreciates their efforts. It's not about who's right and who's wrong. People in this world are living in terrible situations, and despite the reasons that sent us there, our efforts are humanitarian now and these people, both our soldiers and the Iraqi nation, need our support now.

Americans need to stop being so selfish and stop worrying about theirselves and money. If you're going to give this holiday season, give hope and inspiration to Iraqis and American Soldiers! Support them

Fighting for me? Last I checked they were fighting for Bush's cause. I also know people who have served and they feel the same way I do. It takes opening of the eyes to see this though. There are problems here in this country that are being completely ignored, yet we are in another country trying to fix their problems. Of course if you have been fed with a silver spoon you wouldn't know. Did you realize that billions of tax dollars are being spent every month on this? Iraqi's lives are better off based on what? American views? They are not Americans, they don't think like Americans, and they don't have American ideologies. Aren't these bureacrats tired of running and ruining people lives? Thats like you trying to say whats best for you is best for me. You don't know me and our situations aren't alike so you can't say that. So I don't want you barging in my house trying to tell me what to do and how I need to think. Same with the Iraqis. This has been going on since the takeover of America from the indians and it needs to be stopped! That is closed minded one way thinking. By the way I don't watch the media and I don't listen to politicians. They can all just bite me! If I do give I will give to whom or whatever I please or not at all. By the way, the ones fighting back obviously don't want Bush their; so that goes both ways. :shades:

It's a shame that some people are so selfish to not even care about others, especially outside these borders. Because what does happen there, with or without us being involved, does directly affect the United States.

Back to the topic...

I love our statues. I can't wait for Charles Townes to be unveiled. I like to walk by and see visitors looking at them... What do yall think about the veterans memorial thing at County Square being moved? I had never seen it until this summer. What about it being near the Springwood Cemetery with the Confederate Memorial...?

It's a shame that some people are so selfish to not even care about others, especially outside these borders. Because what does happen there, with or without us being involved, does directly affect the United States.

Back to the topic...

I love our statues. I can't wait for Charles Townes to be unveiled. I like to walk by and see visitors looking at them... What do yall think about the veterans memorial thing at County Square being moved? I had never seen it until this summer. What about it being near the Springwood Cemetery with the Confederate Memorial...?

So the problems at home don't need to be fixed first? How can you help someone else when you can't even help yourself. How can you help someone else get well if are sick yourself. Open your mind.

Edited by motonenterprises

For the record, BJU has students from all over the World and has taken a public stand against racism. I am surprised how often they are misrepresented by people who avoid going onto they're campus. Yes, I've been there and think it is a very worthwhile visit. They've got one of the most incredible art museums in the United States, and they've been putting lots of money into new and upgraded facilities lately.

We've been wondering that for a while. I think there was some discussion of it over in the I-385 thread or perhaps another. So far, as I recall, it's just going to be elaborate landscaping, nothing with regard to sculpture or hardscape. I'd personally like to see the overpass bridge there transformed into some sort of "Welcome to Greenville" gateway, along the lines of the one on I-4 in Orlando:

9450129_d67a7d16fa_o.jpg

6814653_2676ec7999_o.jpg

If this were to include a statue of Max Heller surrounded by some lush landscaping, all the better!

Edited by RestedTraveler

We've been wondering that for a while. I think there was some discussion of it over in the I-385 thread or perhaps another. So far, as I recall, it's just going to be elaborate landscaping, nothing with regard to sculpture or hardscape. I'd personally like to see the overpass bridge there transformed into some sort of "Welcome to Greenville" gateway, along the lines of the one on I-4 in Orlando:

9450129_d67a7d16fa_o.jpg

6814653_2676ec7999_o.jpg

If this were to include a statue of Max Heller surrounded by some lush landscaping, all the better!

I'd love to see something like that on the bridge right there... Just a little bit more upscale and nicer looking. :thumbsup:

These aren't the best photos in the world, unfortunately.

What you can't see in these photos is that the seal of the City of Orlando is on the left and the seal of Orange County, Florida is on the right. Also, the light posts on the extreme left and extreme right of this overpass are very large spectacular Modern Art Deco Torches. If we go more up-scale than this, it would be saying something. :thumbsup:

Edited by RestedTraveler