New Statues downtown...?

GvilleSC

I think it is the historical importance/memorial that is going to appear out of place there. The News building really has no significant historical value to Greenville's past.

The News building has some significance to greenville's past. It is a perfect example of the urban withdrawl the city went through in the late 1960s as vintage buildings were torn down and "modern" buildings were erected. It's a monument to bad thinking, and should serve as a warning sign that says "hey Greenville, don't screw up any more." maybe that can be the news' new slogan :whistling:

:rofl:

That's an excellent point of view, and a valid one, too. I know I, for one, think of this building as a reminder every time I see it. There should be a show like "What not to wear" only it could be called "What not to build" and Doald Trump or some real estate mogul could provide a city with some design suggestions a few million to replace their horrible wardrobe, er, uh, buildings.

This sort of goes with this, but how come 20-30 years ago, they would build mostly box buildings and not as many architecturely good looking buildings as they do today. Was it because people just didn't care then, there wasn't enough technology, or was it something else? Like today, if somebody tried to build a box building here or anywhere for that matter people would get pissed off, but back when they built the landmark building, nobody would get pissed off and people really didn't care what the building looked like.

Edited by g-man430

This sort of goes with this, but how come 20-30 years ago, they would build mostly box buildings and not as many architecturely good looking buildings as they do today. Was it because people just didn't care then, there wasn't enough technology, or was it something else? Like today, if somebody tried to build a box building here or anywhere for that matter people would get pissed off, but back when they built the landmark building, nobody would get pissed off and people really didn't care what the building looked like.

That was the style of the time period, modernist architecture and all.

Modern architecture is usually characterised by:

* a rejection of historical styles as a source of architectural form (historicism)

* an adoption of the principle that the materials and functional requirements determine the result

* an adoption of the machine aesthetic

* a rejection of ornament

* a simplification of form and elimination of "unnecessary detail"

* an adoption of expressed structure

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modernist_architecture

Compare for example, these two building, immediately next to each other, on the campus of Winthrop U. in Rock Hill.

1. The Withers building - home of the school's education department, it's essentially a neoGothic castle building: http://www.winthrop.edu/tour/withers.htm

2. The Dacus library, it's essentially a big sandstone looking box - built in the late 60's http://www.winthrop.edu/tour/dacus.htm

Guess which one the administration wanted to tear down in the early 70's? The first one. Why? Because that style was considered ugly by the powers that be in the early 70's, and too much of a throwback. The library was modern, functional and 'hip'. The Greenville News building was built at the same time as the the Winthrop Library.

FWIW, the Winthrop library has a date with a wrecking ball sometime in the next five years as the school is reorienting towards the central core of campus (the present library is across the street from campus) and it will have the neo-Georgian style of the rest of the campus.

Styles and fads dictate as much in buildings as they do in blue jeans. In other words, the modernistic style was seen as kin to the new 'space age.'

Edited by whitehourseview

Styles and fads dictate as much in buildings as they do in blue jeans. In other words, the modernistic style was seen as kin to the new 'space age.'

In Washington, right on Pennsylvania Ave., this building towers over the inaugural route down Pennsylvania Avenue to the White House.

225px-J_edgar_hoover_bldg.jpg

This stretch of Pennsylvania Avenue was the posterchild for blight, believe it or not. And, perhaps more incredibly, this building helped propel the upgrading of that area.

But, as to whether it is tasteful or not, there's this joke in Washington that half the people think J. Edgar Hoover does not merit this building being named in his honor while the other half believe that it is entirely appropriate for this building to be named in his honor. In other words, when it comes to architectural design, just because the equivalent of the bell-bottom is "in," doesn't mean that -- at the same time -- an equal number of people don't regard it as being "out."

If you're going to create something distinctive then it seems axiomatic that it will both offend and please a great many people if it is "good." And if it is "bad" it will simply offend people.

The truly great stuff isn't just distinctive; it innovates. The Dacus Library was distinctive and, when it was constructed, it probably got points for innovation. But there's one more element for greatness (in my book) and that's that it must endure. Styles and fads are no match for enduring designs.

I wonder what architectural masterpieces of recent vintage fit all three criteria: innovative, distinctive and (here we have to predict) enduring. Any nominations from around these parts?

Edited by Fiddlestix

Here is an interesting twist to what's being done with the Greenville News building and Peace Plaza where the new sculpture/statue is being installed: Flags are being placed on the Greenville New Building all around the sides facing Broad Street and South Main Street. They look pretty nice.

The statue is also in place and is in a crate, so it's starting to shape up. :thumbsup: I departed the house for once without a camera, at the behest of my wife, so I have no photos to share. Sorry.

The unveiling of the Nathanael Greene statue is today. Not sure what time though. This article has some good information on the war hero: http://greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/...NEWS01/60727002

If anyone can be there, be sure to take some pictures. RT, do the flags look like permanent structures, or are they just for the ceremony?

Edited by Cap'n Prowler

If anyone can be there, be sure to take some pictures. RT, do the flags look like permanent structures, or are they just for the ceremony?

The flags are most definitely permanent. You should see the brackets and poles that they've put in place on the building to extend them outward from it. I'll try to get some photos even if I don't make it to the ceremony. I'm itchin' to get out with the c a m e r a.

Ceremony is, er, was at 10:00am:

"The husband-and-wife sculptor team of T.J. Dixon and James Nelson of San Diego is making the statue, set to be dedicated in a ceremony at 10 a.m. July 27."

http://greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/...EWS01/606010319

The unveiling of the Nathanael Greene statue is today. Not sure what time though. This article has some good information on the war hero: http://greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/...NEWS01/60727002

Here is a link to a book review about a book about Gen. Greene:

http://jagreer.wordpress.com/2006/07/05/wa...on-book-review/

I read that article today, and I like the idea that Greenville was named for Nathaniel Greene much better than that other guy. It makes more sense too, since so many other place in SC were named for Revolutionary War heros (Spartanburg, etc.).

I like that first picture with the flag in the background. Very patriotic :)

When I heard that flags were hanging from all around the Greenville News building, I envisioned at least 10-15 international flags for some reason. I thought it would be great since Greenville is such an international city. After looking at pictures, it seems that there are only a couple of flags. Does anyone know if those will remain there, or if they were just placed there for the unveiling today?

When I heard that flags were hanging from all around the Greenville News building, I envisioned at least 10-15 international flags for some reason. I thought it would be great since Greenville is such an international city. After looking at pictures, it seems that there are only a couple of flags. Does anyone know if those will remain there, or if they were just placed there for the unveiling today?

I believe that they are there to stay. but I envisioned the same thing, with international flags and a whole lot of them... but the flags that are hanging seem appropriate.

What are the two flags on the Main Street side of the building?

GUILFORD.GIF

The first flag I think you see, haven't been down there yet, is the flag that the Continental Army flew at the battle of Guilford Courthouse, near present day Greensboro, NC, under Greene's command.

The second I believe is the SC flag before the Palmetto tree was added.

Here is a good website: http://www.americanrevwar.homestead.com/files/FLAGS.HTM

I don't think the Palmetto tree was officially added until the Civil War.

Also, and maybe I've missed it, but is there a plaque or anything by the Dr. Townes statue? On evening strolls through there, I've seen folks wonder who it was, or if it was just a generic "guy on a bench." I haven't wanted to be a know-it-all, so I don't pipe in, but I don't see a plaque or anything like that around there.

I read that article today, and I like the idea that Greenville was named for Nathaniel Greene much better than that other guy. It makes more sense too, since so many other place in SC were named for Revolutionary War heros (Spartanburg, etc.).

When I was in elementary school in Greenville, we had a project to research all the other Greenville's in the nation. I remember through the fog of time, hearing that only Washington had more communities named for him as did Greene.

Edited by whitehourseview

i figured the city would think the quote "I will recover the country or die in the attempt" would be too strong for a monument....Love the quote just surprised the city allowed it...also in this overly senstive and pc age that we live in, how long do you think it will be before someone takes issue with the phrase "...Gave the redcoats and Indians a reason to pause"