New Statues downtown...?

GvilleSC

DPC application

It appears that the DPC will review plans for a statue of Max Heller for North Main Street. It will be located at 233 North Main. Not only does it include the statue, but the plaza will be reworked. You can see the plaza design in the DPC application and a general idea of the statue.

I'm looking forward to this one! That will be a great location for Max, overlooking the Hyatt. :)

• 1 month later...

DPC application

It appears that the DPC will review plans for a statue of Max Heller for North Main Street. It will be located at 233 North Main. Not only does it include the statue, but the plaza will be reworked. You can see the plaza design in the DPC application and a general idea of the statue.

I'm looking forward to this one! That will be a great location for Max, overlooking the Hyatt. :)

A story from the Greenville News about this statue and the new plaza. Rendering included with story.

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/article/20...EWS01/811080305

A story from the Greenville News about this statue and the new plaza. Rendering included with story.

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/article/20...EWS01/811080305

I love everything about this! Heller definitely deserves a statue, and the location across from the Hyatt is very symbolic. I hope that they can quickly raise the money for this project.

One quote I really liked from the article was from Knox White, talking about downtown revitalization in the 1970s: "When Greenville did it, no one else was doing it." We truly are a city with a grand vision. :thumbsup:

Probably a dumb question, but......

What material is the statue made from prior to bronzing? :dontknow:

For some reason, I guess I assumed the bronze statues were poured.

Not a dumb question at all. The process does include forming a mold from the clay "model" statue, then pouring it in sections, followed by assembly before finishing touches. Here is a good video on the subject:

• 2 months later...

The CVB Visitors Center in City Hall usually has them available. It is very nice indeed! :D

One problem I noticed... On page 17, the pathway in Cleveland Park near the Maj. Rudolf Anderson Memorial is shown on the wrong side of the Reedy River. For a City-produced guide, such lack of attention to detail - regardless of how minor it may be - is disappointing.

I also noticed there was no mention of the Dennis Heimbach Sculpture at Court Square, too, in the Main Street Tour. Not sure how they overlooked that one. :lol:

Is that more of a private statue than one that has been given to the City or some entity for display? I don't know, but when it wasn't mentioned, I just figured that was the reason...?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...