New Statues downtown...?

GvilleSC

Great to see this underway! Also a rough time for The Underground to be attempting to build a sufficient patronage. I really hope they survive in that location.

I am hopeful for them there as well. I also hope that while they are at it putting in the statue, that they take the time to resurface that stretch of concrete around it that gets so slippery in the rain for some reason.

Great to see this underway! Also a rough time for The Underground to be attempting to build a sufficient patronage. I really hope they survive in that location.

Yeah...the entrance looks pretty blocked with the construction.

Anyone know how long the contsruction will take? Also, at some point, won't Main have to be temporarily one lane....since this plaza will spill into the street?

Edited by gsupstate

For whatever reason, that building already looks better to me. I can't place what it is that I don't like about it, but in that photo it looks better than I ever remember it... odd.

I've never been very fond of the building. The metal colored roof and dryvit sides.....it has always seemed too new, too suburban for the location.

What is the history of this building? Was it built new, or was this a remodel of existing structures? The building has looked like this since I moved here.

The new statue/plaza should help a great deal. :thumbsup:

Is that more of a private statue than one that has been given to the City or some entity for display? I don't know, but when it wasn't mentioned, I just figured that was the reason...?

Yes, my understanding is that the Heimbach statue at Court Square is privately owned by Ben Rook to decorate the entrance to DesignStrategies.

I've never been very fond of the building. The metal colored roof and dryvit sides.....it has always seemed too new, too suburban for the location.

What is the history of this building? Was it built new, or was this a remodel of existing structures? The building has looked like this since I moved here.

The new statue/plaza should help a great deal. :thumbsup:

If you think it looks bad, you should ahve seen it a decade or so back, the parts that are stucco now were vinyl siding.

I am actually very fond of that building because it adds a solid portion of variety to Main Street's architecture. I love the fact that there are cozy shops with storefronts on the sidewalk, plus the attractive cantilevered apartment balconies provide a sense of home (part of Downtown Greenville's "small town feel"), while the courtyard stairs and covered balconies are simply interesting to look at, in my opinion.

• 3 weeks later...

Walked by the area where the Max Heller statue is going, for the first time in a several days today. Wow. Looking great. All of the upright "stonehenge" type walls/columns are up. The plaza area is turning out quite impressive.......looks larger than I had envisioned.

Photo of a few of the "stonehenge" type columns that will encircle the new plaza. Was only able to get a few in the photo. From looking at the undergound work, there appears to be pipes....will there be some kind of water feature to this? The pedestal, which will hold the Max Heller statue, is starting to take shape in the middle of the plaza.

IMG_5321.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The Max Heller statue area is looking really good! Another quality addition by the City!

I'm in Greenville for a couple of days, and drove by the Max Heller statue site today. Wow! The progress they have made, and the impact that little plaza and statue will have, is quite evident. I especially like the way they will incorporate the vertical pieces around the statue. Great move! :thumbsup:

They're in the process of placing the Max Heller statue right now. Was watching from liquid highway...they had a crane lower it down but had to pull it back up to re-drill the holes or drill them deeper! Should be in now though.

Thanks for the update! I'm really excited for North Main on this one. The next best thing to new developments in an area, is the City reinvesting and improving the details! :shades:

The City of Greenville Design & Preservation Commission (DPC) will hold a Public Hearing on Monday June 22, 2009 at 8:30 a.m. in the 9th floor Conference Room at City Hall, for the purpose of considering the following applications:

CA 09-121 A request by Edward Zeigler in behalf of the AIA, South Atlantic Region and AIA, Greenville to construct a brick sculpture in the sidewalk (right-of-way) adjacent to 305 S. Main Street in the Central Business District.