New Statues downtown...?

GvilleSC

The City of Greenville Design & Preservation Commission (DPC) will hold a Public Hearing on Monday June 22, 2009 at 8:30 a.m. in the 9th floor Conference Room at City Hall, for the purpose of considering the following applications:

CA 09-121 A request by Edward Zeigler in behalf of the AIA, South Atlantic Region and AIA, Greenville to construct a brick sculpture in the sidewalk (right-of-way) adjacent to 305 S. Main Street in the Central Business District.

A google search says it's The Greenville News' address. I wonder what the idea is for this brick sculpture... ? I'm intrigued.

Brick sculpture meaning a plaza?

I don't know, but I do know that you can do some very cool things with brick. For instance, such things as this can be made:

cycle.jpg

I'm not suggesting this is what we'll end up with, but if you ask a brick producer what a brick sculpture is, they'll refer you to the process and product of brick relief sculptures, such as the bike pictured above...

Does anyone know why the AIA has decided to do this? I'm intrigued as to why it's not simply the Greenville AIA, but more impressively the AIA of the South Atlantic Region. Seems like an honor.

I saw the Max Heller statue in person for the first time last night. Nowhere on the pedistal or the general area, does it have his name. Surely this will be taken care of, at least I hope so.

From my understanding, the project is not finished. There will be various plaques that tell his story, as well as some sort of special lighting, so it can be viewed both day and night, I believe.

From my understanding, the project is not finished. There will be various plaques that tell his story, as well as some sort of special lighting, so it can be viewed both day and night, I believe.

Noticed this weekend that the lights are now in place. Just a simple clean linear bar, across the top of each column, that shines light down. Hopefully the plaques will be in place soon.

Here's the details submitted to the City about the proposed AIA brick sculpture. Definitely take a look: DPC agenda

I'm intrigued by their placement in the middle of the sidewalk. I'm going to reserve my final judgement on the project until I can see it in place, but I like the nature of the figures. This will definitely be unlike anything we've seen in Greenville, and I'm excited about the prospect of something else to discover and enjoy downtown!

I'm still contemplating the placement. The Greenville News already has the Nathaniel Greene statue and plaza (though this piece will be a good ways away), and I guess you can't have too much public art in one place, but at the same time I also like to see things spread out and offer art installations throughout downtown. To an extent, I think the West End would offer some great options for this sculpture, including South Main, Augusta, and Camperdown Way, or even Broad Street or McBee in the City Center. But, as long as it's contributing to the strong urban fabric that we currently have, I'm going to enjoy it no matter where it's located. :)

Edited by GvilleSC

I went to 'Cafe and Then Some' on Thursday and ate dinner on North Main. Well, it was the first time I had seen Max Heller in person. WOW! Is it too cliche now to say that 'I was blown away'? Even without the text and whatnot on the pillars, it was a great public space and tribute to the old mayor. Good work, Greenville! :shades::shades: :shades:

I went to 'Cafe and Then Some' on Thursday and ate dinner on North Main. Well, it was the first time I had seen Max Heller in person. WOW! Is it too cliche now to say that 'I was blown away'? Even without the text and whatnot on the pillars, it was a great public space and tribute to the old mayor. Good work, Greenville! :shades::shades: :shades:

You saw Max Heller, or his statue? :silly:

• 2 weeks later...

The Staff Report provided by the City (that accompanies a DPC application) shows support for the proposed brick sculpture on South Main. I assume it was approved. The only aspect that has not been finalized is the lighting for the art.

So, I guess we'll be seeing construction of the new bump out, and sculpture within the next month! :shades:

I believe a statue has gone up in the Palmetto Bank plaza next to their to their new headquarters building.

Here is the statue in the Palmetto Bank plaza. My questions.....who is he? What does he represent? What is his significance? Was he a gift by Palmetto Bank? :dontknow:

IMG_7262.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed yesterday that the sidewalk is torn up and it appears that work is beginning on the AIA brick sculpture on South Main. :thumbsup:

Saw that yesterday. For some reason, I can't get my head around this sculpture. Very curious to see the finished product. The spot is slightly odd IMO......kind of between the GV News building and the Liz Daly Gallery......close to Liz Daly.

Saw that yesterday. For some reason, I can't get my head around this sculpture. Very curious to see the finished product. The spot is slightly odd IMO......kind of between the GV News building and the Liz Daly Gallery......close to Liz Daly.

I agree about the location. I wonder what the odds would be for getting the News to sell that parking lot that sits behind the wall. While it's not necessarily a critical space (such as the green Monster), it would always be nice to have a functioning space.

I agree about the location. I wonder what the odds would be for getting the News to sell that parking lot that sits behind the wall. While it's not necessarily a critical space (such as the green Monster), it would always be nice to have a functioning space.

Or better yet, get The Greenville News to sell that entire block they occupy. :)