New Statues downtown...?

GvilleSC

I went to 'Cafe and Then Some' on Thursday and ate dinner on North Main. Well, it was the first time I had seen Max Heller in person. WOW! Is it too cliche now to say that 'I was blown away'? Even without the text and whatnot on the pillars, it was a great public space and tribute to the old mayor. Good work, Greenville! :shades::shades:

Anyone know when the text plaques will be added? The sculpture looks great, but I'm ready to see something on those blank stonehenge walls. :shades:

• 2 weeks later...

Notice the irony that the article mentions the catalyst for pedestrian activity Greenville's statues have become, yet nothing was said about the one which has likely drawn more visitors than the rest because of historical significance, Shoeless Joe Jackson.

I noticed several statues they left out, as well as the Mice on Main.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I hope you guys in Clemson's architecture program are encouraged to attend (and will be able to attend for free)!

They're definitely pushing it, though it's not free. However, it is much reduced. All architecture schools in GA, SC, and NC will have exhibits at the event. I've seen the design for Clemson's, and I must say that it's going to represent the school, and state, VERY well.

I'm excited about seeing this in person! It's an offering to downtown that we don't currently have. Additionally, the SARC is going to be a great convention for the City. :)

Now that the barriers have been removed, this sculpture looks great both from the street and when walking down the sidewalk. The sculpture seems to blend into the surroundings rather well (thanks in part to the brick), instead of sticking out. I like that. The city took one parking space and bumped out the sidewalk, added a bench and landscaping in front of the sculpture. Nice little spot to have a reflective moment.

• 6 months later...

Not a statue, but motion art. I didn't realize this had been installed at the Peace Center and stumbled onto it Saturday. One of those great Greenville surprises. The water / kinetic energy at the bottom moved all the flaps at the top via cables. Very whimsical and fun in a Wonka kind of way. Made us laugh. I'm sure somebody will come on and say it is ugly....obviously it wasn't meant for looks....it was meant to evoke emotion and it worked. Anyone have info on the artist?

IMG_8680.jpg

Not a statue, but motion art. I didn't realize this had been installed at the Peace Center and stumbled onto it Saturday. One of those great Greenville surprises. The water / kinetic energy at the bottom moved all the flaps at the top via cables. Very whimsical and fun in a Wonka kind of way. Made us laugh. I'm sure somebody will come on and say it is ugly....obviously it wasn't meant for looks....it was meant to evoke emotion and it worked. Anyone have info on the artist?

Man, that's ugly! :lol:

Joking aside, this is very cool! As you said, one of those great "Greenville surprises." :thumbsup: