New Statues downtown...?

GvilleSC

Never....how can we, with all the cows roaming downtown?? Moooooooooo!

MOOOOOOOOO! :lol:

Joking aside, I definitely think we are now SC's arts capital. Some will possibly argue that Charleston should be up there with its Piccolo Spoleto Festival, but all things considered I think Greenville wins. Artisphere, Shakespeare in the Park, West Greenville Arts Festival, West End's galleries, Pendleton Street Arts District, Upstate Visual Arts, Metropolitan Arts Council, etc. etc. :good:

• 1 year later...

Did we ever get a Bergamo themed statue? It seems a little funny to get a Florence statue first.

I think it will be a good, whimsical addition to downtown. In Florence the tradition is that if you rub the pig's snout it is good luck and you will return to Florence again.

If you rub the snout in Greenville does that mean you return to Greenville or go to Florence?

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Hmmm, that could look okay somewhere along the Reedy River, but itthe could look out of place next to Wyche Hall.

It is close to, but not next to, the Wyche Pavilion. It appears from the plan drawings that it will be mounted above the new V-shaped accessibility ramp that leads up to the pedestrian bridge across the river to RiverPlace. The new ramp is clearly visible in the photo on the seventh page of the application.

It is close to, but not next to, the Wyche Pavilion. It appears from the plan drawings that it will be mounted above the new V-shaped accessibility ramp that leads up to the pedestrian bridge across the river to RiverPlace. The new ramp is clearly visible in the photo on the seventh page of the application.

I commented immediately after reviewing the plans. It will be very visible from Main Sreet and RiverPlace, two excellent "vistas" overlooking the northern/eastern side of the river. From those angles (primarily the Main Street bridge angle) the sculpture will appear to be next to Wyche Hall. I just hope it won't detract from the historic charm of the old factory shell.

I commented immediately after reviewing the plans. It will be very visible from Main Sreet and RiverPlace, two excellent "vistas" overlooking the northern/eastern side of the river. From those angles (primarily the Main Street bridge angle) the sculpture will appear to be next to Wyche Hall. I just hope it won't detract from the historic charm of the old factory shell.

I think it will be a pretty cool juxtaposition.

• 2 months later...

For those who have already been to Artisphere this weekend, is the new sculpture along the river up, or is this waiting for Peace Center construction to be completed?

Actually, I just viewed the Greenville News' Artisphere gallery and they had a picture that showed it. I'm looking forward to checking it out this afternoon in person!

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

I love the sound of this: http://www.greenvilleonline.com/article/20130109/DOWNTOWN/301090067/Greenville-s-public-art-program-getting-new-look

I'm glad our public art initiative is getting some direction and intends to be proactive instead of reactionary!

I'd love to see some corridors spruced up with art like I've seen in Charlotte. Hopefully the City can partner with the County on some corridors (like Poinsett Hwy/Rutherford Rd) and get something accomplished. This could go a long way in establishing different identities within the City.

• 6 months later...