New Statues downtown...?

GvilleSC

8 minutes ago, StrangeCock said:

Oh god please don't let this be one of those art installations or murals where people stand in front of wings to get pics for The 'Gram. 

:D It is: 

https://www.abc10.com/mobile/article/news/local/sacramento/wings-of-the-city-installed-in-downtown-sacramento/103-d346a20b-cb35-462b-907c-733a5a0455e2

"Over these past years, Sacramento has been 'soaring,' and as we host this international exhibition from Jorge Marín, we continue to elevate the art in our city," Councilman Steve Hansen said. "These bronzes allow Capitol Mall visitors to interact with art, take selfies and learn more about one of Mexico's best-known contemporary figurative artists."

Edited by gman430

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Well, it turns out these "Wings of the City" statues are statues of men, with their men parts right there, present and accounted for, and Sister Bertha Betterthanyou over at First Self-Righteous is absolutely appalled.  It never, ever fails... No matter how prestigious, interesting, or cosmopolitan there is always someone who comes along, sees it, makes that face where their mouth looks like a cat's ass, shakes a bony finger at it, and hisses "Thay-ut's a see-yun!!"

https://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/news/local/2021/05/10/wings-city-exhibit-draws-complaints-indecency-greenville-city-council/5029993001/

Meanwhile, I have it on good authority there are at least two statues of women downtown with their dirty pillows hanging out.  I think we should get het up about that as well, as there is nothing, but nothing, so utterly revolting as the human form.  

Edited by hauntedheadnc
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Uh oh. The Bob Jones Kevin’s and Karen’s have come out of the wood work. Imagine if they ever saw some of the naked people art work and statues in Italy. They’d probably faint. 

Edited by gman430
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

The Upright Citizens Brigade strikes again:  https://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/news/local/2021/05/11/greenville-sc-respond-controversial-wings-of-the-city-exhibit-hispanic-alliance-south-carolina/5038469001/

Favorite quote: 

"I’m keeping myself pure for marriage, and that 100% includes keeping my eyes pure. I thank God somebody warned me about the statues, because if I had gone downtown unknowingly, that would have robbed me of my innocence, and you would have been responsible," Saravia told council members. "You have no idea how profoundly that would crush my spirit. Do you care at all that you’re making hundreds and more people cry bitter tears?

"I’m telling you to take down the statues, destroy them and repent — because if you don’t, God’s going to have to take you guys down."

• Haha 4

This blows my mind.  Reading the comments after the petition linked in that article is another head shaker.  Basically these statues are promoting pedophilia and child sex trafficking.  Qanon in full effect.  I think most of the people who are offended haven't even been down to see the statues.  They keep mentioning all the genitalia on show.  I applaud the City for landing such an awesome art installation.  They are amazing.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, gvegascple said:

This is why we cant have nice things.  I was hoping that a massive show of support for the statues would show folks that Greenville is for Art and Artists and not wackos sexualizing things that aren't sexual.   Did this not happen? 

I think there was.  This issue came up in a Facebook group called Yeah, THAT Greenville.  The folks there mentioned the petition to take these statues down, and how it had garnered nearly 900 signatures.  They started their own petition in support of the statue, and it had almost 3,000 signatures by the end of the day.  That was earlier this week though, so I don't know how things stand with the competing petitions.  

3 minutes ago, gvegascple said:

It looks like 1,126 for and  6,635 against removal.  I was hoping for more of a landslide to keep them.  

You can take the Bible Belt out of Greenville but you can’t take Greenville out of the Bible Belt.

Well I'm gonna put my two cents in here. I haven't seen this much whining in a thread in a long time. You guys are complaining more than the people you are complaining about. If you guys have a right to complain about the complainers (and you do) then the complainers have a right to their say as well; whether we agree or not.  Some of you are crying about people not being open minded and tolerant but aren't practicing those attributes yourselves. I have seen the statues too and have no problems with them, and really like some of them; even took some  pictures with my kids in the big wings by the river.  Admittedly I don't remember seeing the ones with genitalia exposed, but I agree the statues are not meant to be sexual in nature; anymore than the naked cherubs at the Biltmore. However, people certainly have a right to express a different opinion without being ridiculed, in public or on a board, simply because people want Greenville to have a cosmopolitan art display.

On 5/13/2021 at 10:44 AM, gvegascple said:

This is why we cant have nice things.  I was hoping that a massive show of support for the statues would show folks that Greenville is for Art and Artists and not wackos sexualizing things that aren't sexual.   Did this not happen? 

Are you being serious about this ?  I am pretty sure Greenville is already full of nice things and pretty nice itself, with or without this display.

On 5/12/2021 at 6:54 AM, gman430 said:

Like I said...Bob Jones. All they can shout is:

REPENT!!!! REPENT!!!! REPENT!!!!

Come on Gman, you are repeatedly painting a very broad brush here. I consider myself a strong Christian. I try to be careful about what I expose myself and my kids to. Personally, I don't see this exhibit as something I need to avoid, but I don't think criticizing everyone who does, or making sweeping condescending generalizations is helpful. Also, I have never been affiliated with Bob Jones directly, but I am often disappointed in the prejudiced attitude towards those who are. I have known many wonderful people who went there and they do a lot for the community. Maybe give them a break? 

Just some thoughts from a little different perspective...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, gman430 said:

I stand by my statements. If people are going to be that closed minded and cause funding to be lost because of it then they will get no respect from me. 

That's up to you. However, is calling people petty names and withholding respect (simply because they don't support the same thing you do) open minded?

Edited by distortedlogic