New Statues downtown...?

GvilleSC

These aren't the best photos in the world, unfortunately.

What you can't see in these photos is that the seal of the City of Orlando is on the left and the seal of Orange County, Florida is on the right. Also, the light posts on the extreme left and extreme right of this overpass are very large spectacular Modern Art Deco Torches. If we go more up-scale than this, it would be saying something. :thumbsup:

Haha, I was meaning more along the lines of that chain-link fence... Are they attached to that? I was think that if they are attached, then we should do something with wrought iron or something a little more aesthetically pleasing... you know? :shades:

Haha, I was meaning more along the lines of that chain-link fence... Are they attached to that? I was think that if they are attached, then we should do something with wrought iron or something a little more aesthetically pleasing... you know? :shades:

Ah... <the light bulb goes on>

They are attached; however, that's not a chain link fence. It's steel wire such as one would typically find being used as both support and railing in a parking garage (such as the Richardson Street Garage). :lol:

I agree with you on the wrought iron idea though. Perhaps stack stone columns supporting nice classic street lights (like they have on that overpass down in Simpsonville) with wrought iron between them and a nice

"welcome to GREENVILLE"

across the whole thing.

Edited by RestedTraveler

We've been wondering that for a while. I think there was some discussion of it over in the I-385 thread or perhaps another. So far, as I recall, it's just going to be elaborate landscaping, nothing with regard to sculpture or hardscape. I'd personally like to see the overpass bridge there transformed into some sort of "Welcome to Greenville" gateway, along the lines of the one on I-4 in Orlando:

9450129_d67a7d16fa_o.jpg

6814653_2676ec7999_o.jpg

If this were to include a statue of Max Heller surrounded by some lush landscaping, all the better!

Is this the overpass near Millenia Mall? Conroy Road maybe? I always get a kick out of that one. The big light towers flanking both sides. Definitely makes a statement!

I think it was Columbus, Ohio I was in, on their northern beltline, they did the name of each road in wrought iron as part of the railing on the overpasses. Really nice. :)

Is this the overpass near Millenia Mall? Conroy Road maybe? I always get a kick out of that one. The big light towers flanking both sides. Definitely makes a statement!

That's the one, yes, indeed! :thumbsup:

I think it was Columbus, Ohio I was in, on their northern beltline, they did the name of each road in wrought iron as part of the railing on the overpasses. Really nice. :)

I saw this same thing driving South into Cincinnati from Dayton on I-75 this past summer. And on I-75 in Dayton itself, there were fighter jets and the Wright Brother's flyer molded into the new concrete walls and adorning the new overpasses along the interstate. It was pretty cool.

That's the one, yes, indeed! :thumbsup:

I saw this same thing driving South into Cincinnati from Dayton on I-75 this past summer. And on I-75 in Dayton itself, there were fighter jets and the Wright Brother's flyer molded into the new concrete walls and adorning the new overpasses along the interstate. It was pretty cool.

Cool. :thumbsup: What could GV mold into concrete......um.....BMW's? the impression of the Falls? textile spinners? Do we have anything cool that would work?

I know it's not downtown but that last post kinda turned a light bulb in my head. It wouldn't be living in the past but rather honoring it. How about a statue of John D. Hollingsworth, say like out at ICAR maybe in the center of the roundabout by his home. Again not downtown, or really Greenville for that matter, but another good one would be Roger Milliken not only was he a textile giant but he also brought us, along with other people, our beloved Greenville-Spartanburg International Airport. They already named the airfield after him why not a statue in the plaza area outside the resteraunt.

I was in the middle of writing a post and had another idea, so I had to erase the whole thing and start over :lol: . How about one of George Hincappie along the proposed bike trail if its ever built. If it isn't built it would be cool along the path from Cleveland Park, like where the trail ends in Falls Park . Ya know him on the bike after he won Stage 15 in the Tour de France, arguably the toughest stage in the whole tour this year. Just a thought.

I was in the middle of writing a post and had another idea, so I had to erase the whole thing and start over :lol: . How about one of George Hincappie along the proposed bike trail if its ever built. If it isn't built it would be cool along the path from Cleveland Park, like where the trail ends in Falls Park . Ya know him on the bike after he won Stage 15 in the Tour de France, arguably the toughest stage in the whole tour this year. Just a thought.

That's an excellent idea! I can see it now! :yahoo:

Would it be a stretch to have a statue of George and Lance side by side on their bikes?

I dunno - I think this may actually be a bit of a stretch, myself. Perhaps simply some inscription at the base detailing that George is the only one of Lance's teammates to ride along with him on all seven of his Tour de France victories?

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know if I should post this or not due to competition but I will anyways: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=95973

-More people from out of town talking good things about Greenville.

I wonder if they are judging our city based on the published population of ~60,000 people? :lol:

Nonetheless, it is nice to read good things being said about our city!