New Statues downtown...?

GvilleSC

As of 10:00 AM, the current total fundraised so far for the Hispanic Alliance: $8,610. 

A point made by someone else was that the County's funds were to be used to promote the exhibit. By creating this stink, those individuals (can only assume they are residents of the County) actually raised MORE awareness for the exhibit than could have possibly have been achieved by $7,500. Oh, the irony. 

• Like 1

This is definitely an interesting discussion to follow, and I think there are valid points on both sides. As I said before, I don't have a problem with the statues I saw in the park but I do think people have a right not to support them. There could certainly be a whole discussion about using nudity in art (which is basically what this is about) but I don't think opposite sides would come to a compromise on that. However, I don't really understand how people are using this particular example to repeatedly imply that Greenville is somehow less of a city or less artsy because this has come up. Greenville is known for Artisphere, it's many downtown art pieces and art studios, and is working on two new museums to showcase some great collections. Greenville has some great "big'city" amenities, especially for it's size, and is a good place to live. It is also growing pretty quickly. Just because some people don't like this particular display  (and they have a right to) doesn't mean all the things being said about Greenville have merit. There is a lot of over-dramatization in this thread IMO. Like it or not, there is a valid discussion to be had about certain types of art being displayed; one person's art may be another person's  graffiti; after all.  If one wishes to view nude art, there are certainly places to do so, that aren't in view of families and children. Just some  thoughts.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, distortedlogic said:

This is definitely an interesting discussion to follow, and I think there are valid points on both sides. As I said before, I don't have a problem with the statues I saw in the park but I do think people have a right not to support them. There could certainly be a whole discussion about using nudity in art (which is basically what this is about) but I don't think opposite sides would come to a compromise on that. However, I don't really understand how people are using this particular example to repeatedly imply that Greenville is somehow less of a city or less artsy because this has come up. Greenville is known for Artisphere, it's many downtown art pieces and art studios, and is working on two new museums to showcase some great collections. Greenville has some great "big'city" amenities, especially for it's size, and is a good place to live. It is also growing pretty quickly. Just because some people don't like this particular display  (and they have a right to) doesn't mean all the things being said about Greenville have merit. There is a lot of over-dramatization in this thread IMO. Like it or not, there is a valid discussion to be had about certain types of art being displayed; one person's art may be another person's  graffiti; after all.  If one wishes to view nude art, there are certainly places to do so, that aren't in view of families and children. Just some  thoughts.

I think the issue at stake here is that the county agreed to fund things like this, but now are deciding to withhold that agreed upon funding based off complaints of a few (succumbing to the uncultured, if you will).

I think this action potentially opens up a can of worms.  Also, the county deciding to not support a phenomenal piece of art recognized globally absolutely makes Greenville less artsy.  That's how those things work... maybe the next opportunity that presents itself may pass because of this decision by the county.

Edited by NewlyUpstate

The Metropolitan Arts Council announced Thursday that it is providing the Hispanic Alliance with a $3,500 grant to promote the Wings of the City exhibit, which consists of nine bronze statues placed in Falls Park and the Peace Center.

"This exhibit is an outstanding addition to the cultural landscape of Greenville, and the Hispanic Alliance is to be commended for its efforts to bring these beautiful sculptures to our city," said Alan Ethridge, the council's executive director, in an emailed statement. "It is also MAC’s privilege to take a stance against censorship."

The arts council is a nonprofit organization that helps support area arts organizations. The council previously gave the Hispanic Alliance a $3,000 grant to help bring the Wings of the City exhibit to Greenville. The city is the first place east of the Mississippi River to host the traveling exhibit by Mexican artist Jorge Marìn.

An online fundraiser, meanwhile, had raised $9,305 for the Hispanic Alliance as of Thursday afternoon — more than its $7,500 goal. A total of 230 donors had made contributions.

https://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/news/local/2021/06/03/greenville-wing-sculptures-get-promotional-money-gofundme-nude-statues/7524131002/

Edited by NewlyUpstate

If you've disdained as "BJU" the opposition of some to this kind of art, having already lauded the actual BJU for its world-class art collection and its anticipated participation in the new museum/conference center, you might want to rethink your inconsistency.

Not addressed to anybody in particular. Just noting a potential irony in this controversy.

16 hours ago, NewlyUpstate said:

I think the issue at stake here is that the county agreed to fund things like this, but now are deciding to withhold that agreed upon funding based off complaints of a few (succumbing to the uncultured, if you will).

I think this action potentially opens up a can of worms.  Also, the county deciding to not support a phenomenal piece of art recognized globally absolutely makes Greenville less artsy.  That's how those things work... maybe the next opportunity that presents itself may pass because of this decision by the county.

Why would an artist pass on Greenville? Nothing has really changed. The beautiful artwork is still in Falls Park. If anything, those few negative nannies have done us a favor by showing we will not back down because of a handful of vocal citizens. There are voices of opposition in every city, even the so call progressive ones.  The difference is they don’t get any media coverage. They have a right to voice their thoughts, just as we do.  I am glad for the few. It as brought much positive attention to our arts scene and has helped the Hispanic Alliance raise more funds than ever. Our arts scene is more alive today than it has ever been. 

3 hours ago, gman said:

Why would an artist pass on Greenville? Nothing has really changed. The beautiful artwork is still in Falls Park. If anything, those few negative nannies have done us a favor by showing we will not back down because of a handful of vocal citizens. There are voices of opposition in every city, even the so call progressive ones.  The difference is they don’t get any media coverage. They have a right to voice their thoughts, just as we do.  I am glad for the few. It as brought much positive attention to our arts scene and has helped the Hispanic Alliance raise more funds than ever. Our arts scene is more alive today than it has ever been. 

I'm sort of over talking about this topic, but in essence, if the government in the area that you're displaying your artwork in promises to grant you money for doing it, but then decides after you're showing your artwork to not fulfill their end of the bargain, it's going to chill future artists/organizations on doing the same. That's how the world works.

A person / organization / city / county / country is only as good as their word. If there's no follow through then it hurts future opportunities.

Edited by NewlyUpstate

1 hour ago, NewlyUpstate said:

I'm sort of over talking about this topic, but in essence, if the government in the area that you're displaying your artwork in promises to grant you money for doing it, but then decides after you're showing your artwork to not fulfill their end of the bargain, it's going to chill future artists/organizations on doing the same. That's how the world works.

A person / organization / city / county / country is only as good as their word. If there's no follow through then it hurts future opportunities.

I could easily see a scenario where a city like Greenville becomes the target of an even greater effort push it toward some cultural bleeding edge, whether they've got local funding or not.

(FTR I have no opinion on the actual art in question, since I haven't seen it with my own eyes)

On 6/3/2021 at 10:16 AM, GvilleSC said:

A point made by someone else was that the County's funds were to be used to promote the exhibit. By creating this stink, those individuals (can only assume they are residents of the County) actually raised MORE awareness for the exhibit than could have possibly have been achieved by $7,500. Oh, the irony. 

This has been flogged to death, but now even more have pledged financial support.

Community Foundation of Greenville announces $15,000 in grants to Hispanic Alliance for ‘Wings of the City’

The Community Foundation of Greenville announced June 8 it received an anonymous $7,500 grant for the Hispanic Alliance and it’s “Wings of the City” exhibit.

The charity is also providing a matching grant of $7,500.

• Thanks 1

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

We went to Unity Park today, wanting to stop by the Lila Mae Brock statue on the way. There were so many homeless camped out around it that we just kept moving. I am sorry to say this, but there is no way anyone could visit that site and feel safe. Is it always that way?

38 minutes ago, gman said:

We went to Unity Park today, wanting to stop by the Lila Mae Brock statue on the way. There were so many homeless camped out around it that we just kept moving. I am sorry to say this, but there is no way anyone could visit that site and feel safe. Is it always that way?

Yes it is. I see homeless people hanging out there every time I drive by it. It is due to Miracle Hill Rescue Mission which is a homeless shelter being located right across the street. 

Edited by gman430

29 minutes ago, gman said:

I walked up there  soon after it was unveiled. There was nobody around, but I have also seen most of the chairs taken up on occasion. I imagine that it depends on the time of day and whatever schedule the Rescue Mission keeps? 

• 1 month later...

I took a walk through Falls Park today on my way to Cancer Survivors Park, and noticed a couple of statues I hadn't seen before, right by the water on the bank beneath the Grand Bohemian. You can see them from the mill ruins. They look to be of people with big jars tipped to pour out water -- either that or they're ridiculously overdone birdhouses, and something is supposed to nest in those big jars. No water was coming out, at any rate. 

Either way, does anyone know anything about them?

1 minute ago, hauntedheadnc said:

I took a walk through Falls Park today on my way to Cancer Survivors Park, and noticed a couple of statues I hadn't seen before, right by the water on the bank beneath the Grand Bohemian. You can see them from the mill ruins. They look to be of people with big jars tipped to pour out water -- either that or they're ridiculously overdone birdhouses, and something is supposed to nest in those big jars. No water was coming out, at any rate. 

Either way, does anyone know anything about them?

I believe they’re a part of the Grand Bohemian’s art collection (thus the depiction of indigenous people retrieving water).