New Statues downtown...?

GvilleSC

This should be pretty interesting:

The City of Greenville Design & Preservation Commission (DPC) will hold a Public Hearing on Thursday, March 9, 2006, at 4:00 p.m. in the 1st floor meeting room at City Hall, for the purpose of considering the following applications. (Note: Items are listed in the order they will appear on the agenda.)

CA 06-17 A request by Ken Scarlett for the Nathanael Greene Freedom Monument Committee for a certificate of appropriateness to construct a plaza with landscaping and statues at 305 S. Main Street in the Central Business District, Pedestrian Zone.

The rendering for the proposed rebuilding of the old City Hall shows the statues on each of the four corners of the Main and Broad intersection. I can only assume this is what this means. The address is for The Greenville News, so unless they plan on using some of their own property, I can't see any other possibility. This would really suck, having a nice new history-related plaza next to such a boring building as The Greenville News, but I'd like to see some final renderings before making a serious judgement. :unsure:

This would really suck, having a nice new history-related plaza next to such a boring building as The Greenville News, but I'd like to see some final renderings before making a serious judgement. :unsure:

I know some people like the Greenville News Building, but I have to agree with you, Skyliner. I wonder if the Greenville News has given any thought to giving their building a facelift? :sick:

The statues on all four corners puts me in mind of Downtown Charlotte at the Intersection of Trade and Tryon. I've always admired that intersection. If Greenville were to do something along the lines of this at the intersection of Main and Broad, it would be pretty impressive, I think. :thumbsup:

Welcome to Urban Planet, upstategeek! We're glad to have you here and hope to hear much more from you going into the bright, bright future!

It is interesting that the Greenville News hasn't covered this themselves. The would have been the first ones that I would have expected to report on this. I did see the small piece about it in the Journal. It sounds like Nathanael Greene will have come compnay at this intersection though.

Welcome to Urban Planet, upstategeek! We're glad to have you here and hope to hear much more from you going into the bright, bright future!

It is interesting that the Greenville News hasn't covered this themselves. The would have been the first ones that I would have expected to report on this. I did see the small piece about it in the Journal. It sounds like Nathanael Greene will have come compnay at this intersection though.

thanks for the welcome.

At the very least, the Greenville News could pressure wash the building.

I would also like to see them spruce up the side of their warehouse facing Broad St. A coat of paint can do wonders. :whistling:

That's funny! I said the same thing about the Haywood Mall. :rofl:

Maybe a nice new brick facade? That'd be costly though.

Welcome to UP, upstategeek! Glad to have you onboard with us! :D

The others are most likely going to be incorporated into the four corners of the intersection as planned by the City. I hope the "plaza" is very attractive and not degraded by The Greenville News building.

I went by City Hall today during lunch to look at plans. Still nothing on the statue will look like or who is designer. The basic design is in the News' courtyard behind that white wall. Statue of Greene is in the middle with an L-shaped about three-foot high wall around. That wall will contain the plaques to the others.

The thing I am wondering about is they already have a fairly nice plaque dedicated to one of the Peaces, I think it is Roger, who was publisher and former U.S. Senator, at the corner. The new monument looks to be built on top of it.

• 3 months later...

I went by City Hall today during lunch to look at plans. Still nothing on the statue will look like or who is designer. The basic design is in the News' courtyard behind that white wall. Statue of Greene is in the middle with an L-shaped about three-foot high wall around. That wall will contain the plaques to the others.

The thing I am wondering about is they already have a fairly nice plaque dedicated to one of the Peaces, I think it is Roger, who was publisher and former U.S. Senator, at the corner. The new monument looks to be built on top of it.

Noticed that work is well underway on this statue. :thumbsup:

I still consider this spot to be terrible for such a historically significant person.

Oh I agree, and I don't understand why it's there unless the G'News is funding it.

Otherwise it should be at either Falls Park or the entrance to Piazza de Bergamo.

You only get to put up a statue for your town's namesake once, might as well do it right.

Is that even the same Wade Hampton? I think General Wade Hampton was from before their was anything more than Richard Pearis's Trading Post, the Wade Hampton who the democratic party did campaign planning for in that building could not have been the same one. Am I right?

Ok, here is a bit more information

There was a line of four Wade Hamptons"

The first one was Wade Hampton Article on Wade Hampton (all of them) is the man whose family was killed by indians in Spartanburg County, this lead to the killing of the Cherokees in Greenville County opening it up to white settlers and making Greenville Possible. This is the man I was referring to.

His only son to survive the masacre was Wade Hampton I Info on Wade Hampton I ,II, & III he was also a great Revolutionary War and War of 1812 hero. Also served in the US House of Representatives.

His son was Wade Hampton II who was officer of the Dragoons in the War of 1812. HIs son was Wade Hampton III.

Wikipedia Article on Wade Hampton III

The guy elected Govener after planning in the West End Building was Wade Hampton III, who was also a great Civil War Hero.

I was referring to the very first of the Wade Hampton, but all four look deserving. But then at least three of them had vast slave holdings, as many as 3000 so a statue to them may not go over to well.

Edited by btoy

Thanks, btoy! :thumbsup:

I had no idea about the history of the line of Wade Hamptons. It would seem somewhat fitting to have statues of all four facing each other from opposite street corners somewhere in town. It'd certainly give new meaning to "Hampton Corners," at least. :lol:

:rofl:

Creative idea, RT! I like it! :thumbsup: