New Statues downtown...?

GvilleSC

The first flag I think you see, haven't been down there yet, is the flag that the Continental Army flew at the battle of Guilford Courthouse, near present day Greensboro, NC, under Greene's command.

The second I believe is the SC flag before the Palmetto tree was added.

Also, and maybe I've missed it, but is there a plaque or anything by the Dr. Townes statue? On evening strolls through there, I've seen folks wonder who it was, or if it was just a generic "guy on a bench." I haven't wanted to be a know-it-all, so I don't pipe in, but I don't see a plaque or anything like that around there.

This is correct. The second flag has the crescent moon with the word "LIBERTY" on it instead of the Palmetto Tree.

If I recall, I remember seeing that plaques have been installed at the Townes Statue, the Nexus of Light, and the Leaping Red Thing near the Bowater Building. I haven't read any of them and really meant to look at the plaque by Dr. Townes last night to see what it said, but I completely forgot to do so. If "Dr. Charles Hard Towes" were just written acoss the base, that'd be nice too.

Has anyone else noticed that the pen lights on the Townes Statue went out weeks ago?

I had not noticed that, no. Will have to check it out the next evening I'm downtown...maybe this evening - Love's Labour's Lost is playing again and I may go down to catch it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

WOW! That looks amazing! This is going to be such a nice quality addition to Main Street and it will be a nice contrast to beautiful landscaping on each corner. This is a nice tribute to the black community and the city's history. I can't wait to get back home and see this in person. This corner is going to really bring a lot of attention to this statue when plans for the Woolworth building and Piazza Bergamo are revealed and actually begin to take shape. :yahoo:

• 3 weeks later...

A dedication ceremony will be held for the unveiling of the Sterling High Statue Nov. 19 at 2:00 p.m. at North Main and Washington Streets.

FULL STORY.

I can't wait to see it in place and functioning as a part of downtown.

Thanks for the link. I find the history of the site and the reasoning behind its location facinating. I had no idea.

I can't wait to see it in place and functioning as a part of downtown.

Thanks for the link. I find the history of the site and the reasoning behind its location facinating. I had no idea.

No problem. Hopefully the historic sit-in significance of the site won't keep the old Woolworth's building from eventually being razed. ;)

Let's strike a deal that if we have a Jesse Jackson statue, the NAACP will drop the ban on SC for the Confederate flag stuff. I would totally be willing to make that tradeoff.

:rofl: I'd support putting him there then. Maybe eventually move the statue to a historic location that has ties with him, like say the Haynie Sirrine Neighborhood... :silly: