New Statues downtown...?

GvilleSC

I think Knox White standing in the spot of Billy Mitchell's old location would be a nice touch :rofl:

Nah, but one day after his reign is over and we tally his accomplishments, then a suitable place can be determined. Right now, I'd have to go with the Liberty Bridge and Falls park area for White.

What's next in the statuary department? Pete Hollis (which has gone to the foundry) and then what?

Rev. Richard Furman?

Buck Mickel?

Charles Daniel?

Benjamin Perry?

Pete Hollis has already been made and is now at the "secret undisclosed location". Actually I know where he is but the powers that be may not want that info out just yet. The sculpture Garden for the Pete Hollis Statue will begin construction at the beginning of 2007 with it being officially in place by spring time (April 2007 I hear from a reliable source). In addition to the statue a great number of bricks will be put in place with the names of donors to the project many of whom Pete had a positive impact on with his "can do" attitude.

They already have Statues of the Furman's at well... Furman.

The original president is sitting outside the Cherrydale Mansion on campus.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/linkerjpatrick/269619498/

An a more contemporary "Furman" is standing in a garden outside the administration building at Furman.

How about a Mike Galleghar "bullseye" van sculpture on I-85 between White Horse and Augusta Road! ;) Come on you know you want to see it. You were there when "history was made"! :rofl:

Max Heller? Anyone? Anyone?

Probably near the Hyatt. I remember that was the first major project he help bring on board downtown the sparked the revitalization that continues to this day.

And a more contemporary "Furman" is standing in a garden outside the administration building at Furman.

Here it is:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/restedtraveler/239393876/

Probably near the Hyatt. I remember that was the first major project he help bring on board downtown the sparked the revitalization that continues to this day.

I was thinking this would be a fitting location for a sculpture of Max as well. Either here or incorporated as part of the "Max Heller Gateway," but one wouldn't be able to enjoy it as much if it were at the Gateway. :lol:

I was thinking this would be a fitting location for a sculpture of Max as well. Either here or incorporated as part of the "Max Heller Gateway," but one wouldn't be able to enjoy it as much if it were at the Gateway. :lol:

Hmmm, I could see a bronze Max waving from the landscaped median on 385... :lol:

Edited by GvilleSC

Different, but related topic.....Is the Max Heller gateway on 385 complete? I haven't seen any additional work going on and the plantings are no different that those at the other bridges along 385. I thought it would be more. :dontknow:

Oh, but there's a sign that says: "Max Heller Gateway" :lol: I was expecting more too...

Different, but related topic.....Is the Max Heller gateway on 385 complete? I haven't seen any additional work going on and the plantings are no different that those at the other bridges along 385. I thought it would be more. :dontknow:

Yea, I think that's all she wrote for this project, unfortunately. I was expecting much, much more, too. It's a bit of a let-down, admittedly.

I still think the railing on the bridge there should be incorporated into the the gateway as a "Welcome to Greenville" type greeting such as Orlando and Cincinnati and other cities have. I suggested this in another thread somewhere and even posted photos of the one in Orlando, but I can't locate it with the search engine on here. :(

I agree that it is a major let-down. Greenville can and should do better to promote itself to new visitors entering/passing thru the city. I wonder if a cool sign or laser logo could be incorporated onto the huge blank wall of the new jail addition? ;)

As for new statues, I would love to see one of Max Heller somewhere near City Hall, or even on North Main near the Hyatt Regency plaza. He was so largely instrumental in the initial push to revitalize our dead downtown. Another person I'd love to see a statue of is Phil Hughes, located somewhere in the RiverPlace development. He and his real estate team have completely changed the face of Greenville's small riverfront, and there will be no looking back from now on. Hats off to a tremendous new leader in our fair city! :shades:

Yea, I think that's all she wrote for this project, unfortunately. I was expecting much, much more, too. It's a bit of a let-down, admittedly.

I still think the railing on the bridge there should be incorporated into the the gateway as a "Welcome to Greenville" type greeting such as Orlando and Cincinnati and other cities have. I suggested this in another thread somewhere and even posted photos of the one in Orlando, but I can't locate it with the search engine on here. :(

I thought there would be a statue of Max, his arms reaching out and welcoming all to Greenville. :) Sort of a statue version of the graphic of the girl, in the Atlanta airport, as you ride up the escalators leaving the train.

I agree with you about the bridges. I think all the bridges on 385 from the 85 interchange on in should have a unique design. At least the three replacement bridges along 385 in Simpsonville and getting the special design treatment.....I guess to help Simpsonville establish it's identity as "the" suburb. :)

What's next in the statuary department? Pete Hollis (which has gone to the foundry) and then what?

Rev. Richard Furman?

Buck Mickel?

Charles Daniel?

Benjamin Perry?

What about John D. Hollingsworth? His gift to the city is becoming the largest development in the state and will add a significant number of residents.

No thanks. Hollingsworth was the Ebenezer Scrooge of Greenville. His estate gift is nice, but that's about it.

Not being from here, I'm not familiar with his total history other than the gift he left to the city. I think he had already passed away by the time I moved here. Wasn't his fortune self made from scratch?

No thanks. Hollingsworth was the Ebenezer Scrooge of Greenville. His estate gift is nice, but that's about it.

While living that was very true, and yet after dying, his name became synonymous with local generosity toward charities. What an irony! :blink: Perhaps a memorial or statue on the ICAR campus or somewhere in Verdae would be appropriate?

While living that was very true, and yet after dying, his name became synonymous with local generosity toward charities. What an irony! :blink: Perhaps a memorial or statue on the ICAR campus or somewhere in Verdae would be appropriate?

Perhaps a late 70's or early 80's Chevy bronzed, like he used to make his saleman drive, way past 150,000 miles? Or perhaps the trailer he used to live in?

Verdae will have a park named for Hollingsworth, I would assume at least a major plaque, if not a statute. He certainly deserves it. As for what he gave during his lifetime, we will never know. He didn't believe in attaching his name to charitiable gifts. What a noble if rare concept. According to Furman, he gave them some money during his lifetime, so the Scrooge label is inappropriate.

Scrooge was Scrooge because he had no compassion for others, not because he saved his money.