New Statues downtown...?

GvilleSC

• 2 weeks later...

• 1 month later...

363659720_0af3cdc91b_b.jpg

Pete Hollis in winter

Statue of Pete Hollis, Greenville, SC education reformer of the early and mid 20th century. His statue will soon be placed in the middle of a Pete Hollis Gateway, as the roads lead to the part of the city he worked for reform in.

The statue will go up and be dedicated in April. Until then, it remains by a city parks maintenance facility parking lot.

Nice recon work. :thumbsup:

I'll second that. Nice work. The statue looks just like the rendering, from what I can discern.

Cool. Please post this link OVER HERE, too. I find the conceptual summary rendering on page 55 interesting.

363659720_0af3cdc91b_b.jpg

Pete Hollis in winter

Statue of Pete Hollis, Greenville, SC education reformer of the early and mid 20th century. His statue will soon be placed in the middle of a Pete Hollis Gateway, as the roads lead to the part of the city he worked for reform in.

The statue will go up and be dedicated in April. Until then, it remains by a city parks maintenance facility parking lot.

Cool! Thanks for the sneak peek. :thumbsup:

• 1 month later...

I just checked http://friendsofpetehollis.com/ and it doesn't say anything yet about an official date.

I'll talk to my dad. Even though he is not listed on the web site he had done a lot of the work to raise the funds and knows when the official dedication is going to be. I don't think that site has been updated since it was put up. Wish they would have asked me to manage it but I know quite a few of the people responsible so maybe I can get them to update it soon. I see Dale Perry, the co-chair often so I will try to get some info from him to.

• 1 month later...

IMG_0764.jpg

You nailed it, Ron! Thanks! I didn't drive down Stone today, but I did check out the Anderson/Vardry area and on out Augusta and Mills to no avail. I should have gone with my gut... :lol: This is certainly going to be a very cool piece of public art for Stone Avenue. I'm not sure when in July it's going to be put in place, but I'm looking forward to it. :thumbsup:

Does anybody know where the "Aria" sculpture by (I believe) Mike Jacobsen will be installed in July?

I can't quite place where this is:

379629119_4c0ae833b0_b.jpg

HERE are a few more photos of this new Mike Jacobsen Sculpture taken by his wife. It's very cool seeing progress and work being done on something like this. We usually get to enjoy the finished product without seeing all of the work that goes into them sometimes. Seeing the effort that has gone into it really helps one appreciate it more, I think.

This is going to be a very nice addition to Stone Avenue. :yahoo:

• 2 weeks later...

Wow. Then they have alot to do in a short time.

Not really...they're pretty much done with the bulk of it. The wall has been finished for several weeks, the statue is in place, the electrical work is finished and the sod has been put down. All that remains now is planting some flowers/trees/shrubs/etc. :thumbsup: They could have that done by Saturday easily.