New Statues downtown...?

GvilleSC

HERE are a few more photos of this new Mike Jacobsen Sculpture taken by his wife. It's very cool seeing progress and work being done on something like this. We usually get to enjoy the finished product without seeing all of the work that goes into them sometimes. Seeing the effort that has gone into it really helps one appreciate it more, I think.

This is going to be a very nice addition to Stone Avenue. :yahoo:

I noticed that this property is not owned by the city. Do they put statues commissioned by the City on private property?

Not really...they're pretty much done with the bulk of it. The wall has been finished for several weeks, the statue is in place, the electrical work is finished and the sod has been put down. All that remains now is planting some flowers/trees/shrubs/etc. :thumbsup: They could have that done by Saturday easily.

A whole lot done in a very short time:

492102139_f46cb8114d_b.jpg

He bothers me a little bit. I can't pick out what it is exactly, but he's awkward. :dontknow:

It may be the way he is holding his stomach or casting his other hand is a grass sowing motion but I think the sculpture was based on an actual photography of him. I think I have seen the photo it's based on somewhere. It's not on the Pete Hollis web site but at least it's not a sculpture of him in his t-shirt like is on the middle of this page;

http://friendsofpetehollis.com/_wsn/page3.html

I guess the sculptor was going for more of a positive action pose.

BTW, The two columns are based on the original columns of the Old Parker High School which he held get started. My parents went to that school in the 50's and to put it mildly the School District ruined the architecture when the "modernized" it in the 70's (I think it was the 70's)

Here is a link to a good picture of what it used to look like;

http://parkerhigh.com/

Edited by linkerjpatrick

It may be the way he is holding his stomach or casting his other hand is a grass sowing motion but I think the sculpture was based on an actual photography of him. I think I have seen the photo it's based on somewhere. It's not on the Pete Hollis web site but at least it's not a sculpture of him in his t-shirt like is on the middle of this page;

Are you sure he isn't shirtless in that picture? :lol:

The statue is good, but it does make his stomach look very prominent. I suppose there was no good way to get around that, unless they had him sitting down. I just hate that everyone is going to think the statue sneaks over to McDonald's on a regular basis for a Bic Mac...

Are you sure he isn't shirtless in that picture? :lol:

The statue is good, but it does make his stomach look very prominent. I suppose there was no good way to get around that, unless they had him sitting down. I just hate that everyone is going to think the statue sneaks over to McDonald's on a regular basis for a Bic Mac...

No, if anything he sneaks over to the Ham House or The Clock.

Looks like there has been apparent vandalism on the Pete Hollis site, just one day after Saturday's dedication of the statue/monument.

A light post was forcibly knocked down, a new magnolia tree was uprooted and there are obvious tire tracks on the little plot of land.

Whether or not it was just some dumb over-night drunk out of control, or a deliberate act of vandalism would not make any difference I'd think.

Just like the time the Crosswinds golf course was vandalized by someone in a 4x4. A soccer field on church property along Butler Springs Rd. was also vandalized in the same way. These people need to be locked up and lose their license for a very long time. :angry:

Looks like there has been apparent vandalism on the Pete Hollis site, just one day after Saturday's dedication of the statue/monument.

A light post was forcibly knocked down, a new magnolia tree was uprooted and there are obvious tire tracks on the little plot of land.

Whether or not it was just some dumb over-night drunk out of control, or a deliberate act of vandalism would not make any difference I'd think.

Not only a light post, but also the crosswalk signal in the middle of the intersection was taken out....looked to me like someone either lost control or was just too inebriated to know where they were going. I don't think it was intentional vandalism of any kind, but it doesn't make it any better. It's a shame it couldn't have happened prior to the completion/dedication so at least it would have had a better chance of being repaired sooner.

Not only a light post, but also the crosswalk signal in the middle of the intersection was taken out....looked to me like someone either lost control or was just too inebriated to know where they were going. I don't think it was intentional vandalism of any kind, but it doesn't make it any better. It's a shame it couldn't have happened prior to the completion/dedication so at least it would have had a better chance of being repaired sooner.

Can anyone confirm if someone actually drove through the site tearing up the ground? I ask because I know that they have been having electricity problems at the site (hence the reason it has not been lit up yet). I just wonder if they were tearing up the ground and removing the light posts, etc. temporarily to fix some of the electrical problems. When I drove by yesterday it looked like the ground was "torn up" to access the underground wiring but I could be wrong. Just thought it could be something to consider.

Can anyone confirm if someone actually drove through the site tearing up the ground? I ask because I know that they have been having electricity problems at the site (hence the reason it has not been lit up yet). I just wonder if they were tearing up the ground and removing the light posts, etc. temporarily to fix some of the electrical problems. When I drove by yesterday it looked like the ground was "torn up" to access the underground wiring but I could be wrong. Just thought it could be something to consider.

You should have seen the light post and crosswalk signal the day before yesterday - they were in hundreds, perhaps thousands of pieces laying in the road and on the sidewalk. If they were being removed for troubleshooting, I would hope someone would have taken better care with them. :lol:

You should have seen the light post and crosswalk signal the day before yesterday - they were in hundreds, perhaps thousands of pieces laying in the road and on the sidewalk. If they were being removed for troubleshooting, I would hope someone would have taken better care with them. :lol:

Yes, I did see that but I was wondering more about the ground that was disturbed. I just know they had problems getting the lights to work. To be pefectly honest I am a little concerned about intentional vandelism at that location and part of town. I hope that part of town can be revitalized and reduce the risk or things like this happening. I can see how the little mini-island in front of the statue could be easy from people to run into if they were drunk or not. They're could also be issue with large vehicles trying to turn around in that tight spot. It would cost more but a nice wrought iron fence around the statue garden area might help to protect the landscaping.

This is off topic but When I was there on Sat. morning we parked near the rear of the McDonald's I noticed the old Forth Presbyterian Church is in use but the build looks like it's about to split in various spots. I wouldn't be surprised if they had a roof collaspe like the church in Berea has a few years ago.

This is off topic but When I was there on Sat. morning we parked near the rear of the McDonald's I noticed the old Forth Presbyterian Church is in use but the build looks like it's about to split in various spots. I wouldn't be surprised if they had a roof collaspe like the church in Berea has a few years ago.

Yes, talk about an absolute gem of a building if it could be restored, though. I noticed the same thing when I parked behind McDonald's as well.

It's the old Third Presbyterian, Fourth Presbyterian is close to Cleveland Park.

It's the old Third Presbyterian, Fourth Presbyterian is close to Cleveland Park.

I had a felling I might be called out on that. I wasn't totally sure and I would think I would know better since I drive by there about every day and I used to work near and take walks around Forth. Get's kind of confusing.

I watched "Wayne's World 2" on HDNet Movies the other day. One of the gags in the film is when Wayne accidentally goes to the Second Presbyterian Church, instead of the First. To top off the gag, not only are the churches identical , but they are across the street from each other. :lol:

• 1 month later...