OKC seeing downtown housing boom

jbrown84

None of these are new announcements, but I thought I'd gather them all in one place.

Block 4

This is an $11 million, 36-unit townhome complex to be built on NE 4 across from the Deep Deuce Apartments. The developer is Grant Humphreys, son of former mayor Kirk Humphreys. The location is just north of Bricktown in an area that has been pretty much unused for decades.

Central Avenue Villas

This project is planned for the corner of NE 4 and Central Avenue -- just northwest of the Deep Deuce Apartments. Leading the project is Anthony McDermid, president of TAP Architecture, which has been very active in the revival of downtown OKC. The project, to cost between $4 million and $5 million, will offer 30 condominiums priced between $150,000 and $500,000.

The Triangle www.thetriangleokc.com

McDermid is also involved in The Triangle, a major mixed-use project for the area north of Bricktown. Developers are going to start on the first 15 townhomes in February, and will begin tearing up old Kerr-McGee surface parking lots and converting them to greenspace until they are ready to build. This project should be really nice when completed. Three properties have just been acquired by the developers as the last pieces needed for the 25 acre "town center" development.

The Hill

This project right on the edge of Bricktown will have up to 171 townhomes. The $50 million development includes the largest homes among the announced projects, with prices hitting $550,000 for homes exceeding 3,000 square feet.

The Park Harvey Building

Developer Richard Tannenbaum will soon begin work to convert the 17-story office building to apartments. The building is right in the middle of the CBD, across from the new library and the county courthouse. There will be 178 apartments ranging from 532 to 1,170 square feet and leasing for $550 to $950 per month.

56.jpg

The Classen

Tannenbaum is almost finished converting this building in midtown to upscale, for-sale condominiums. The building was designed in the style of Frank Lloyd Wright's Price Tower and is just right in the middle of OKC's asian district.

Legacy Summit at Arts Central

This long-delayed project in the Arts District will finally break ground this month. This 303-unit apartment complex will feature a parking garage on the inside with the building facing the street and will cost $26 million.

Kerr-McGee Buildings

Anthony McDermid and others are partnering with Kerr-McGee to convert three of the corporation's downtown buildings to high-end for sale housing, including the former Braniff Airlines headquarters. The project should get underway early next year.

1923.braniff2.jpg The Braniff Building

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure that the Park Harvey is getting an exterior facelift. It is pretty ugly, but I think most of the changes will be interior. It won't be the highest-end residential downtown, but that's certainly not what I'm going to be in the market for anytime soon.

I'm not sure that the Park Harvey is getting an exterior facelift. It is pretty ugly, but I think most of the changes will be interior. It won't be the highest-end residential downtown, but that's certainly not what I'm going to be in the market for anytime soon.

Looking at the building, that's rather too bad. The exterior needs a facelift. How is the Skirvin restoration coming along?

Looking at the building, that's rather too bad. The exterior needs a facelift. How is the Skirvin restoration coming along?

It's going well. It should be open this time next year. They are restoring all the art-deco exterior and interior on the first two floors and the top floor and redoing the rest with larger guest rooms, but still very upscale.

• 5 weeks later...

I counted up all the projects that I had numbers for in Downtown and Midtown. The total? 1,978 units! That's more than double the total for all of downtown, ever. Amazing.

That includes an unannounced "Midtown Plaza Highrise Apartments" that I noticed in the Downtown Study by the Chamber, which will have "ca. 250" units. I couldn't find unit #s for the Lower Bricktown condos project, and I used the "approximately 781 units" from thetriangleokc.com rather than the 150-ish(?) that they're going to begin this spring.

Midtown has a new website, http://midtownokc.com, and it has some great descriptions/mission statements that make it sound a lot like the Triangle, which is really great because it means the Midtown folks are very dedicated in providing a new urban Live-work-play neighborhood.

• 2 weeks later...

It sounds like it from that study. It was very vague, it only listed "Midtown Plaza; Type: Highrise Apartments; ca.250 units; No further info", and it listed the developer. I'm hoping we will find out soon...

It really wouldn't surprise me the way Midtown is moving right now. Have you seen midtownokc.com?

Archived