Is Congresswoman Foxx good for Winston-Salem & the 5th District?

intcvlcphlga

The 5th District has for many decades been a Congressional district that has sent one of Winston-Salem's own to the House of Representatives. With the election of Burr to Edward's Senate seat, neither the Democratic nor Republican nominee to take his seat in the 5th District was from Winston-Salem (Foxx from Mount Airy, I think, and Harrell from Lexington). She is, perhaps, best known for her vote against Katrina appropriations and I believe she voted against CAFTA (alienating her from her party's leadership). Mayor Allen Joines has been rumored to be considering running for the Democratic nomination to unseat her.

How is she doing? Is she serving the interests of Winston-Salem well? Where do you stand on her performance so far? What has she done that you agree/disagree with? Would Allen Joines make a good candidate to defeat her? How would you vote if the election was this month?

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 5th District has for many decades been a Congressional district that has sent one of Winston-Salem's own to the House of Representatives. With the election of Burr to Edward's Senate seat, neither the Democratic nor Republican nominee to take his seat in the 5th District was from Winston-Salem (Foxx from Mount Airy, I think, and Harrell from Lexington). She is, perhaps, best known for her vote against Katrina appropriations and I believe she voted against CAFTA (alienating her from her party's leadership). Mayor Allen Joines has been rumored to be considering running for the Democratic nomination to unseat her.

How is she doing? Is she serving the interests of Winston-Salem well? Where do you stand on her performance so far? What has she done that you agree/disagree with? Would Allen Joines make a good candidate to defeat her? How would you vote if the election was this month?

If your question relates to the primary topics of discussion on this bb, then I think Foxx can clearly be described as utterly disinterested at best to hostile towards improvement in our cities, particularly Winston-Salem. In short, Winston is doing a good job rebuilding its core, and Foxx has absolutely nothing to do with that progress.

She represents W-S, but her core constituency is primarily the conservative rural and exurban areas outside of Forsyth County. If you check out her website () you'll see that of the six issues listed, three of them are abortion, family values, and guns.

Being from a rural area with a general antipathy towards land use planning, it is unlikely she knows anything about historic preservation or the importance of attaching Winston to the southeast high speed rail corridor. By contrast, Richard Burr, the person she replaced, has staff who is familiar with SEHSR and interested in seeing it go forward provided certain conditions are met.

Allen Joines would probably be a serious improvement in Congress because he seems to truly be a locally-focused individual. The problem with him taking Foxx's seat is that he's doing a great job as Mayor and I'd hate to see him go. There are some other good Democrats in Winston who may be able to run against her.

In sum, she's a movement conservative who lets GOP central casting do her thinking for her. She doesn't offer any real surprises legislatively, which means that when it comes to doing what is best for the GOP or Winston-Salem, the GOP is where her interests lie.

In case it isn't clear, as for the voting question, no, I would never vote for her.

If your question relates to the primary topics of discussion on this bb, then I think Foxx can clearly be described as utterly disinterested at best to hostile towards improvement in our cities, particularly Winston-Salem. In short, Winston is doing a good job rebuilding its core, and Foxx has absolutely nothing to do with that progress.

She represents W-S, but her core constituency is primarily the conservative rural and exurban areas outside of Forsyth County. If you check out her website () you'll see that of the six issues listed, three of them are abortion, family values, and guns.

Being from a rural area with a general antipathy towards land use planning, it is unlikely she knows anything about historic preservation or the importance of attaching Winston to the southeast high speed rail corridor. By contrast, Richard Burr, the person she replaced, has staff who is familiar with SEHSR and interested in seeing it go forward provided certain conditions are met.

Allen Joines would probably be a serious improvement in Congress because he seems to truly be a locally-focused individual. The problem with him taking Foxx's seat is that he's doing a great job as Mayor and I'd hate to see him go. There are some other good Democrats in Winston who may be able to run against her.

In sum, she's a movement conservative who lets GOP central casting do her thinking for her. She doesn't offer any real surprises legislatively, which means that when it comes to doing what is best for the GOP or Winston-Salem, the GOP is where her interests lie.

In case it isn't clear, as for the voting question, no, I would never vote for her.

I just checked out her website and it is disconcerting to read her list of priorities and realize that there is little relevance to the day-to-day issues concerning the vitality of the largest city in her district. I think I read somewhere that she is originally from Brooklyn, so you would think that urban issues would influence her policy positions.

Archived