historic Districts?

elb401

Historic Districts  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Do you live in your city's historic district?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes. I live in the Fort Sanders community in Knoxville. I don't live in a historic building, but there are many in the community. Fort Sanders is located across from the campus of the University of Tennessee and is the home of many students who choose to live off campus. Fort Sanders is the most densely populated neighborhood in Knoxville with a population of over 11,000 people in an area of about 1.25 square miles. Almost all new development in the area is in the form of appartment complexes geared towards college students. Very few of the houses are occupied by single families. Most have been split into individual appartments. A lot of historic houses have been lost, but many beautiful ones remain.

http://www.restoreknoxville.com/r2004/arti...ore%20Knoxville

Unfortunately, no. I'd love too, but I can't find my preferred type of housing for the preferred asking price. So I've begun buying small lots in the core and one day, I'll just build my own.

As for Jax, the city was fairly large, before consolidation, so there's plenty of historic neighborhoods to chose from. These include Downtown, Riverside, Avondale, Murray Hill, San Marco, Springfield, St. Nichols, Durkeeville, LaVilla, Brooklyn and East Jacksonville. I don't have time to explain all of these neighborhoods, because they all have their unique flavor, in terms of culture and architecture. But I don prefer Springfield, which is located just North of downtown.

Its in the process of gentrification, but its the type of urban spot that reminds you of New Orleans, Savannah or Cleveland, but with a NE Florida type of flair. Typical lots are around 30' wide, the natural landscape is mature and it has a lot of historic urban parks. Here's some pics.

springfieldpreservation0vq.th.jpg springfield3rdlaura7uy.th.jpg 3rdmaincloseup3wr.th.jpg kluthopark9xh.th.jpg srgmarketrow4mk.th.jpg silverstreetflats7qg.th.jpg

silverstreet0ij.th.jpg mainstreet4fd.th.jpg pearlstreet5ce.th.jpg kirbysmithmiddleschool1wv.th.jpg karpeles9gn.th.jpg jackmeeksaccounting6bb.th.jpg

Yes I live in a designated Historic District in Charlotte. The neighborhood was built from 1890-1950. My house was built near the end of this period (1940) and is considered transitional style, though the whole neighborhood is a mix of Bungalow, Victorian (Queen Anne), Georgian, Transitional, Ranch, and Tudor. The neighborhood is fairly large with over 2,000 households, with a pretty even split between single-family and low-rise multi-family.

I don't but I recently visited them and took pics that are in my Pictures of Fayetteville topic. I've been impressed with them just for the facts that out of the three historic districts in my city two have houses dating back to the 1800's. Maybe that's not overly impressive in other areas but that's rather old in this area. Especially in the Ozarks.

Yes, I live in the historic part of the town I live in, alas its not a city, but hey I do live in town and not in a sub-division. :D I like sidewalks and what not, and the old part of town offers those the best, actually though all of my town has a good sidewalk system because we have a state university.

Yeah, I'm sort of like Rural King. I live in a small town with no real historic districts, though the vast majority of houses in this neighborhood were built from 1900--1940. My house is from 1925, two story, with golden oak floors and trim. It's a densely packed neighborhood with garages and alleys in back. Downtown's an easy walk away.

When I am home (with my parents) I live in College Park, Orlando, a quiant neighborhood less than a mile from downtown. Its a neighborhood with mostly brick streets and dotted with about 5 large lakes. The main commercial strip, Edgewater Drive, is seeing a recent resergence in activity, including serveral u/c and proposed condo buidlings. That is what I like about it. What I don't like is that there really isn't anything to do in College Park for someone my age right now aside from one restaurant/lounge called Taste. In Boston, for college, I live in the Back Bay.

• 3 weeks later...

I live right on teh edge of Newnan's (south of Atlanta) historic district. Newnan is unique because it was not Burned down by general Sherman during his infamous march to the sea since many houses in the town were used as hospitals for both confederate and union soldiers. Metro Atlanta may be very car oriented, but In Newnan's downtown and historic district, walking is the preferred form of transportation!

I live right on teh edge of Newnan's (south of Atlanta) historic district. Newnan is unique because it was not Burned down by general Sherman during his infamous march to the sea since many houses in the town were used as hospitals for both confederate and union soldiers. Metro Atlanta may be very car oriented, but In Newnan's downtown and historic district, walking is the preferred form of transportation!

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt...3D%26safe%3Doff

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt...3D%26safe%3Doff

http://moreland.georgia.gov/vgn/images/por...614cowetaCH.jpg

I live in Riverside, one of the neighborhoods thelakelander mentioned with yet another fantastic set of photos. My apartment was built in 1924 with high ceilings, wood floors and many windows throughout.

prahaboheme, I didn't live too far from Back Bay when I went to BU. My dorm on West Campus was a nice 30 minute walk to Tower Records (Towah Rekkids) and Newbury. We'd even continue to the Common on sunny days. Boston is wonderful!

• 2 weeks later...

My home is in Ortega in Jax, and it is built in 1940, so it isnt too old. Down the street are homes built in 1910, across the river, some built in 1900 or before. It only gets older as one gets closer into town, but I am miles away. Ortega used to be a "sprawly" suburb of Jacksoville city, but now is sort of an inner neighborhood with most homes built between 1920 and 1950.

Archived