Metro "Economic Strength Rankings" from some website

nashvol85

1 Charlotte-Gastonia-Concord, NC-SC (MSA)

2 Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Marietta, GA (MSA)

3 Washington-Arlington-Alexandria, DC-VA-MD-WV (MSA)

4 Denver-Aurora, CO (MSA)

5 San Diego-Carlsbad-San Marcos, CA (MSA)

6 Birmingham-Hoover, AL (MSA)

7 Nashville-Davidson-Murfreesboro, TN (MSA)

8 Minneapolis-St. Paul-Bloomington, MN-WI (MSA)

9 Raleigh-Cary, NC (MSA)

10 Kansas City, MO-KS (MSA)

Complete list (all 361) and methodology:

http://www.policom.com/rankalph.htm

Thoughts?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^ Ho hum... yet another rankings list from some non-profit that contradicts other lists from other non-profits out there on the internet. Just more fuel for the Charlotte forumers, IMO. Let the gloating begin...

FYI the company is NOT a non-profit &

The firm "Policom" is a Florida company !

http://www.policom.com/index.html

No one is pumping cities just showing that 5 of the top 10 metros are Southern. Don't read to much into it, except that the South's Economic picture is quite bright. You for one should be glad since you are a FL poster. You might need to look a little more into the site before you judge so quickly.

A2

How come NYC is ranked 49th? For being 2nd most important economic city in the world... and probably the most influencial.

Standard of Living was a HUGE component in the Poll. That is one reason why NYC was ranked a lot lower. It is Vital to READ the entire PDF of why and how a city is ranked. THere are several factors that place a city either High or Low on this poll

http://www.policom.com/EconomicStrength2004.pdf

A2

How come NYC is ranked 49th? For being 2nd most important economic city in the world... and probably the most influencial.

No one doubts that New York is a very important, strong economic city, but when it costs $1 million for a Manhattan condo or $100,000 for a downtown parking space or $10-15 for a light meal, when land is appraised by the square foot rather than the acre, you know things are a little out of whack. You can make less money and live a lot better in any of those cities in the top 10.

That money stays in the city though... its not going anywhere else9NYC). Wouldn't that just add to the money that is floating around the pockets of people? I think there are more millionares and the companies that they own in NYC anyways. I just can't see how a city like Charlotte could compare with the economic strength of NYC. By the way... I can't open PDF's on my computer so I am SOL. So I dont know how they created their formulas to find this data out... but data can be manipulated in ways that reality can be subdude. Just some observations.

That money stays in the city though... its not going anywhere else9NYC). Wouldn't that just add to the money that is floating around the pockets of people? I think there are more millionares and the companies that they own in NYC anyways. I just can't see how a city like Charlotte could compare with the economic strength of NYC. By the way... I can't open PDF's on my computer so I am SOL. So I dont know how they created their formulas to find this data out... but data can be manipulated in ways that reality can be subdude. Just some observations.

Thank you for you opinion, however lets stick to the article presented. If you can't read it, then don't bash it and the article is not a ranking on size.

Thank you for you opinion, however lets stick to the article presented. If you can't read it, then don't bash it and the article is not a ranking on size.

The post is about Economic Strength... and if you are trying to deny the economic strength of NYC then you have issues. I dont know why you are so defensive as are most people on these forums. Its just a fact that if NYC were shut down, the economy of the entire country would plummet and the country would dissolve. That is economic strength my friend. So sorry to offend you, but its just reality. If something is wrong it is the duty of people to correct it. Atlanta deserves to be on that list though...

Its just a fact that if NYC were shut down, the economy of the entire country would plummet and the country would dissolve.

Although if New York City shut down, there would be a massive hit taken by the economy, one that would be nearly devistating, I think saying that the entire country would dissolve is a little far fetched. Although New York has a huge economic influence, it doesn't come close to making up a majority of our economy.

Please don't confuse "facts" with "speculation".

NYC virtually shut down on 9/11...and remained that was for a few days. Yes, our nation took a big economic hit....but we didn't dissolve.

Dare I say that NYC may be...just may be..a little over rated? It's small business that employs 80% of America's workforce, and NYC doesn't hold a lock on that emplyment catagory.

NYC didnt shut down... parts of it did. 1 month without NYC and this country would be up a creek. I am not going to argue with you all about the importance of NYC in this country and the world. That was not what this post was about. This post was about Economic strength in American metros. Obviously people responding to my post represent some of the cities on that list and have taken it to heart. There are no facts that could determine what would happen if NYC shut down, so it is all speculative. You all should have some more pride in NYC, its the only real city, other than LA, that the rest of the world cares about in the US. Why do they care about it? Because the economy of the world is pretty much ran and controlled from there. A few international business classes wouldnt hurt anybody...

These economic strength rakings seem to deal with stability over the long term and general overall life for the inhabitants of the city. NYC has many people on the welfare rolls and in public housing, and that really hurts it in this particular ranking. Also, NYC's manufacturing base has almost totally left the city.

The most important part of it....the financial district.

So the rest of the world only cares about NYC & LA? Hmmm....what about Washington, Chicago, Miami, Houston, Atlanta & Boston, to name a select few?

Of all the countries that i have been to, I have never talked with anyone who cared about those places. Never talked to anyone that wanted to visit those places... and I live in one of the most internationaly visited cities in the US... its tough to digest I know...

By the way, there was still business going down in NYC on 9-11 and the days following... Rich people dont care about suffering. Gotta make that money....

Of all the countries that i have been to, I have never talked with anyone who cared about those places. Never talked to anyone that wanted to visit those places... and I live in one of the most internationaly visited cities in the US... its tough to digest I know...

By the way, there was still business going down in NYC on 9-11 and the days following... Rich people dont care about suffering. Gotta make that money....

Perhaps the rankings were based on a different set of indicators than the old, "of all the courties that i have been to, i have never talked to anyone who..." standard. Relax, it's just rankings. Maybe you could find rankings that offer a different view than those that were posted on this page. Then you could post those rankings and offer a different opion that has a basis and isn't so scathing. Why the all the concern about a Charlotte forumer finding rankings that suggest that the greater Charlotte area is doing well economically on a PER CAPITA basis?

I, like you, live just across the river from another one of the most internationaly visited cities in the US and in an area that is much larger than Charlotte and that has much more significant overall economic strength. However, if I lived in Charlotte and made 75% of what I make in DC, then I would be living better because Charlotte is so much cheaper. Thus, I consider Charlotte to be economically strong even though it may not be on the world class level of NYC, DC or Chicago.

For someone who is unable to even read a PDF, I don't think you are qualified to offer anything here but your opinion and it has been noted.

And none of this has anything to do with that report. If you don't stop the senseless argument, you are going to get a suspension. Blind boosterism is childish and we don't allow that here at UrbanPlanet. Stick to the topic at hand and quit trolling. Since you seem to be incapable of taking my hint the last time I responded to you let me be a bit more clear, this will be your last warning.

Archived