Sounds Move Ahead with Ballpark Design

linclink

Here is the link:

http://www.nashvillecitypaper.com/index.cf...s&news_id=46492

Carroll said Nashvillians were receptive, however, to the idea of building a tall structure close to the Shelby Street Bridge by means of which, going down, pedestrians could reach the ballpark.

“We used the example of the Ponto Vecchio in Florence, [italy], where they have businesses right out on the bridge, [though] this would … probably be a hotel, an office building, or maybe a condo tower … And I thought that was a bit of a stretch for the city, but they really liked it.”

Ok...

I went online to see this ponto vecchio... and one of you guys are going to have to go the meeting this week to beg them to build this for me!!! :yahoo::wub::w00t:

Here's 3 views from inside it:

KylaPontoVecchio01.jpg

PontoVecchio03.jpg

PontoVecchio04.jpg

And from the outside (its so so)

VOICES%20RACH%20PONTO%20VECCHIO%20DEC.%202004.jpg

floren05.jpg

Now, I'm not to crazy about how it looks on the outside.... and for the one built here, they could even make it modern... But make it asian/middle eastern modern, not American modern, which is like 60's modern.. bleah.... Or they could even make it along the lines either way, THAT THING IS TOOO COOL!!!!

Talk about incorporating the river!! Now THAT would be making good use of the river!!! Can you imagine crossing this "bridge/building" all lined with little shops (on narrow, pedestrian only streets... ala Europe)!!!!!!!!!!!!! (wheres a fainting emoticon when you need one!?!?!?!?!?!)

Did I mention I'm excited about this?!?!? hehehehe... but they need to know that it has to be long and cross the river just like the one in Italy... they can't tease us with something like this, and then turn around and just build some hotel next to the bridge.... so whos the great guy... the knight in shining armor... who'll go to that meeting and beg for this?!?!?!?! :P

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It will be interesting to see the vision incorporated into the Nashville d'town. The Shelby Street Bridge is very authentic as is and I wonder to what extend a retail, office, or hotel structure can meld with the existing structure. I do believe it can be done but the mind boggles at the potential for an architectural atrocity. I wish they had a quick sketch of the Nashville version.

Either way exciting times...

I've been to Florence, and yep the Ponte is unique. I believe the structure they're talking about would be "close" to the bridge, not on the bridge. Accessibility would be great from the bridge. But, I for one, would vote against any further changes to the historic structure. The bridge as it is is precious to us natives and it should stay as it is.

Now, all around it. They can just go nuts with development and that's fine with me.

Hey Dave,

I didn't think they would build anything on the actual bridge... thats something I did not like about the look of the

ponte (exterior)... it looks like they just added these structures to the bridge.... I thought that they were planning

on building an actual verticle structure that would cross the river and would have retail and such... something

from which you could see the shelby bridge and the gateway... maybe even something that didn't fully cross the

water... ala the Clinton Library, which is a long structure, supported on one side, and (I may be mistaken) that

goes over a portion of a body of water... but not necessarily the same look, but the same basic idea...

I still think its totally awesome, and would actually be more than just a building, but a landmark....

Edited to show these pics:

tour2.jpg

041116_library_hmed_3p.hmedium.jpg

0501clintonLibrary.jpg

library300.jpg

I just love the preliminary design phases to projects. Anything is possible! I'm really looking forward to what they come up with so I can voice my opinion. They have a great team assembled to work on this project and there's a good chance that most of us will be really excited with what they come up with.

I can't imagine anything crossing the river would be allowed unless it was VERY high up. Not only are there large barges and tugs, but huge riverboats like the General Jackson. The Mississippi Queen makes frequent visits as does some huge floating "hotel" boat out of Cincinnati or someplace. The tugs themselves are tall and the Jackson sometimes has to lower its stacks to get under a bridge or two I believe.

River traffic is one of the more endearing things about the Cumberland. Barges full of coal, sand and other materials are always on the water.

Yes, exciting times for the city! I am amazed at some of our Libertarian friends who are quick to want to restrict and stifle almost all local, state and federal government spending on civic projects and remain fiscally conservative to the point of being obsessive, yet most Libertarians are socially very liberal when it comes to spending money on social programs! Our Metro Council has some closet Libertarians who may vote no for the stadium, yet want to throw more money at social programs. Let's hope they view the stadium as a social program!

Of all those ideas, I think the movie theater and (URBAN LOOKING)Grocers and pharmacies are good moves... along with the shops and restaurants that were already planned by the firm. The Baseball museum? I don't think so... really, how many people would want to go to a baseball museum on a daily basis? If they were building a discovery science museum with an Imax, adjacent to the site, they'd have year round traffic... our downtown Dicover Science Museum and Imax are ALWAYS PACKED... with families, schools, teens, couples... etc... it singlehandedly revitalized that section of downtown... and to have that in the vicinity of the stadium, I think would be good... But a baseball museum?!?!?! How many times can you go to it, before you've seen it all? I don't think they should do that AT ALL!! Unless its a small museum on the ground level of the stadium, so that you have a seperate entrance for it, but its contained within the building. That might work out pretty well... but if it's to be a separate building, I don't think so....

Of all those ideas, I think the movie theater and (URBAN LOOKING)Grocers and pharmacies are good moves... along with the shops and restaurants that were already planned by the firm. The Baseball museum? I don't think so... really, how many people would want to go to a baseball museum on a daily basis? If they were building a discovery science museum with an Imax, adjacent to the site, they'd have year round traffic... our downtown Dicover Science Museum and Imax are ALWAYS PACKED... with families, schools, teens, couples... etc... it singlehandedly revitalized that section of downtown... and to have that in the vicinity of the stadium, I think would be good... But a baseball museum?!?!?! How many times can you go to it, before you've seen it all? I don't think they should do that AT ALL!! Unless its a small museum on the ground level of the stadium, so that you have a seperate entrance for it, but its contained within the building. That might work out pretty well... but if it's to be a separate building, I don't think so....

We have a similar Discover Museum and Imax Theater near the waterfront in downtown Chattanooga, and they both do really great for the city. I think that would be an excellent idea, and even better than a baseball museum!

I think the notion tossed out about a museum was more along the lines of the Tennessee Sports Hall of Fame inside the GEC, not a big box type of thing, but something small to honor the sport and to honor the history in this city.

Nashville's baseball history is long and storied dating back to 1885 (and before) and certainly deserves recognition in a space dominated by baseball. Read and learn.

http://www.library.nashville.org/newsevent...erunexhibit.htm

IMAX? In that area? Absolutely not. Neighborhood type move theaters, yes.

Remember, we want an urban neighborhood, something for us Nashvillians to live, work and play in. There's a large IMAX at Mills. That's close enough. Let's not let this ballpark urban neighborhood turn into a tourist circus. We have plenty of that. SoBro should be built with Nashville in mind, not Dollywood.

I'm very passionatel about my hometown. We don't want to blow this extraordinary opportunity.

Spoke to Glenn Yeager on the "Zone" just a few muintes ago. Let him and all that are on the show (104.5 The Zone) that my family is in support of this project. Called out the Council on the issue of their thought processes. The entire panel was in aggreance of my points. I feel better now. WHEW! LOL!!

Hey Dave,

About the IMAX... obviously I am an outsider... and I don't want to step on any toes here, since I am not yet a "Nashvillian"... however, I don't see why an IMAX would NOT be urban, or appropriate for an Urban core. I don't know what the IMAX in Nashville is like.. but ours is very much an Urban Imax/Museum of Discovery and Science. In fact, it gets more people than the Downtown Movie Theater (which may actually have to close its doors). This need not go in the area of the stadium, but it has been an amazing addition to the downtown fabric here in Fort Lauderdale, and I am sure it would be the same for Nashville. If you want downtown to be the place where Nashvillians work and play, then you have to include ALL Nashvillians, not just the singles or couples. You want a vibrant downtown that has singles, couples, retirees, families, children, teens, etc... etc... You want urban Schools, and you want places where EVERYONE can go... This is what we see here. Our Imax is packed with couples, singles, kids, etc... etc... The kids who go to school by downtown can get on the water taxi and go to the Imax. From there they can walk to the Art Museum, to the Main Library, and to the Performing Arts Center. The same goes for everyone else. My husband and I have gone on dates where we take the water taxi to the Imax, watch a great documentary, then walk over to one of the many restaurants and bars, take another water taxi to Las Olas, which is the historic section of town. I think that we need to have an open mind when building a downtown for people to live and play in, and we need to remember that there needs to be options available for EVERYONE. I guess the reason I don't see IMAX as anything but urban, is because the first one I ever saw was in a Downtown setting. And perhaps you cannot see it as Urban, because the first one you saw, was in a mall. But trust me, it CAN be done right. And it is just as urban as a downtown baseball stadium.

Archived