Media Play closing

DigitalSky

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It hasnt been too long since On Cue closed all there stores....and now Media Play.....looks like only Sam Goody and Suncoast motion pictures are left in that bunch.....where is there a Sam Goody in Charlotte anyways, i heard there was one in Mooresville?? Seems like FYE is the dominant mall music store in Charlotte, which is the opposite becuz in Columbia its Sam Goody and no FYE exists.....alot of people go to Best Buy or Circuit City nowadays...

It hasnt been too long since On Cue closed all there stores....and now Media Play.....looks like only Sam Goody and Suncoast motion pictures are left in that bunch.....where is there a Sam Goody in Charlotte anyways, i heard there was one in Mooresville?? Seems like FYE is the dominant mall music store in Charlotte, which is the opposite becuz in Columbia its Sam Goody and no FYE exists.....alot of people go to Best Buy or Circuit City nowadays...

Didn't Sam Goody just buy all the On Cue stores? They didn't actually close down I don't believe. I know for sure that the On Cue in Sanford became a Sam Goody and it is still in operation. As for the Charlotte area, according to their website, they only have stores in Monroe, Mooresville, Albemarle, and Wilkesboro.

FYE definitely dominates the malls as far as music stores, but who actually buys CDs from there?

Didn't Sam Goody just buy all the On Cue stores? They didn't actually close down I don't believe. I know for sure that the On Cue in Sanford became a Sam Goody and it is still in operation. As for the Charlotte area, according to their website, they only have stores in Monroe, Mooresville, Albemarle, and Wilkesboro.

FYE definitely dominates the malls as far as music stores, but who actually buys CDs from there?

Is this the death knell for Gaston Mall? Media Play and HT were the only regular chain tenants there, from what I can tell.

I don't go to the mall to buy CDs, tapes, VHS, or DVD's. All of those items are cheaper online even WITH shipping! I remember I used to have a replay rewards card from like 2001. I had it four years and it only had like 1200 points or something and that was from 10 cassettes I bought at 99 cents a piece. Media Play was probably the most overpriced of all the music/movie retailers. Though FYE and Circuit City are still pretty high. If you are shopping for music or movies at a brick and mortar store, your best bet is Best Buy or Manifest. Oh and Wal Mart...(for movies)

Since when was Manifest having a problem? They do really decent business, have an awesome selection, and great prices.

Manifest was in danger of closing not too long ago, I assume because of competition from national chains and online purchases. I believe it was sold and the new owner has been able to keep it going.

Okay, I did a search and found an article from the Charlotte Observer from Jan 04 that announced that Manifest was closing because they were seeing decreasing sales due to competition. I can't find anything about if they were sold or if the owner just decided not to close. I know that at one point Manifest had 7 stores and now they only have the one in Charlotte and one in Columbia. The former Manifest store in Greenville, SC is now Earshot music.

Manifest was in danger of closing not too long ago, I assume because of competition from national chains and online purchases. I believe it was sold and the new owner has been able to keep it going.

Okay, I did a search and found an article from the Charlotte Observer from Jan 04 that announced that Manifest was closing because they were seeing decreasing sales due to competition. I can't find anything about if they were sold or if the owner just decided not to close. I know that at one point Manifest had 7 stores and now they only have the one in Charlotte and one in Columbia. The former Manifest store in Greenville, SC is now Earshot music.

from what i remember, manifest sold to a buyer out of atlanta. also, i didn't think it was as much decreasing sales as it was the original owner wanted to get out. whatever the case, manifest is by far the best music store charlotte has had in my lifetime. they try and cover the gamut on all genres and they are reasonably priced. their buy-back of used DVD and CD's are also better than most places. so, i would recommend supporting them if you can.

On Cue was a division of Sam Goody.

Manifest was purchased by company in Marietta called Value Music Concepts. They own a few chains. I don't think Manafest makes a ton of money given the circumstances of the music industry but it is a least working. I thought that in 04 the only Manifests turning a profit were Charlotte's and Columbia's which is probably why that company only bought those two.

Manifest was purchased by company in Marietta called Value Music Concepts. They own a few chains. I don't think Manafest makes a ton of money given the circumstances of the music industry but it is a least working. I thought that in 04 the only Manifests turning a profit were Charlotte's and Columbia's which is probably why that company only bought those two.

I noticed a few months back that if you buy something at the Manifest in Charlotte, is still says Columbia, SC on the reciept.

Is this the death knell for Gaston Mall? Media Play and HT were the only regular chain tenants there, from what I can tell.

I wouldn't worry about the Media Play space being vacant for long at Gaston Mall. The area around Gaston Mall is currently experiencing a mini-building boom with four restaurants either under construction or opening soon. (On the Border, Olive Garden, Chuck E Cheese, Ruby Tuesday)

I wouldn't worry about the Media Play space being vacant for long at Gaston Mall. The area around Gaston Mall is currently experiencing a mini-building boom with four restaurants either under construction or opening soon. (On the Border, Olive Garden, Chuck E Cheese, Ruby Tuesday)

Is the mall being renovated anytime soon? That mall seems not to have been updated since the 1970s- it definitely needs some TLC.

Mary Jo's is probably the only thing that is known in that mall now.....what else is there over there, i can't even remember

Yes Mary Jo's is a popular tenant there, but they also have a Harris Teeter, along with small independent tenants inside like a pet store, tuxedo rental place, vacuum store, etc, but there is still like a Cingular store and Hollywood Video also. I think the most popular place in the mall is the DMV where everyone goes to wait an hour to renew their license plates.

Is the mall being renovated anytime soon? That mall seems not to have been updated since the 1970s- it definitely needs some TLC.

The rumors floating around have the mall being renovated. I agree something needs to be done, at least freshen up its appearance on the outside.

Yes Mary Jo's is a popular tenant there, but they also have a Harris Teeter, along with small independent tenants inside like a pet store, tuxedo rental place, vacuum store, etc, but there is still like a Cingular store and Hollywood Video also. I think the most popular place in the mall is the DMV where everyone goes to wait an hour to renew their license plates.

There's a cafeteria which does a surprisingly good business given its (lack of) surroundings. It's probably the amazing strawberry cobbler and broccoli casserole. The mall was somehow able to scrounge up enough money to have a Santa Claus this year...

• 3 weeks later...

There's a cafeteria which does a surprisingly good business given its (lack of) surroundings. It's probably the amazing strawberry cobbler and broccoli casserole. The mall was somehow able to scrounge up enough money to have a Santa Claus this year...

Okay, take this with a grain of salt, but the latest rumor making the rounds has SuperTarget eyeing Gaston Mall. I remember reading in The Gaston Gazette a few months back, that SuperTarget was close to signing a deal to locate across the street from Gaston Mall, on the old Public Service Headquarters land, but the deal fell through. Now it seems they might be looking at Gaston Mall with Media Play leaving.

Now heres where it gets a little far-fetched, Gaston Mall would essentially be demolished to make way for the new SuperTarget and possibly two other big box retailers. Granted it is just a rumor, but theres been a lot of speculation about what the current owners have in mind for the mall, and so far they havent said anything. It wouldnt surprise me if this turned out to be true; Target seems really interested in that particular area near Cox Rd and I-85.

Archived