Media Play closing

DigitalSky

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just as a side note, we went into the Media Play in Hickory about two weeks ago and there were about 3 racks with picked over CDs and DVDs and about a hundred people crowded around those racks. Plus the lines for the registers had at least 10 people each in them. It was insane.

The rest of the store was just empty fixtures and they were selling those too.

We turned around and walked out.

Just as a side note, we went into the Media Play in Hickory about two weeks ago and there were about 3 racks with picked over CDs and DVDs and about a hundred people crowded around those racks. Plus the lines for the registers had at least 10 people each in them. It was insane.

The rest of the store was just empty fixtures and they were selling those too.

We turned around and walked out.

Yeah I don't even see the point of going in the store if that's the case.

Does someone want to go take pictures of Gaston Mall before it closes, if it does? That mall is in a time warp- the interior is completely straight out of the early 70s or even the 60s. Odd that it seems to be nearly fully leased, except for that Media Play now, considering how dated it is. If there is such a thing as a class D mall, Gaston Mall would be one.

Does someone want to go take pictures of Gaston Mall before it closes, if it does? That mall is in a time warp- the interior is completely straight out of the early 70s or even the 60s. Odd that it seems to be nearly fully leased, except for that Media Play now, considering how dated it is. If there is such a thing as a class D mall, Gaston Mall would be one.

Yeah someone should. I tried finding pics of Gaston Mall online and couldn't find much.

• 4 months later...

I'll try to take some pictures in the next few weeks.

When was Eastridge in Gastonia built? Was there a Belk or another good anchor at Gaston Mall that was lured to Eastridge and thus doomed Gaston Mall to being Gastonia's B mall afterwards?

Whowever originally developed and ran Gaston Mall probably did well; I'd guess that the mall's owners have spent only minimal amounts of money on upkeep of the mall over the years, while it seems to have a good stable of tenants. Amazing that a mall with such a dated appearance and such a strong neighboring competitor (Eastridge) is still in business.

I'll try to take some pictures in the next few weeks.

When was Eastridge in Gastonia built? Was there a Belk or another good anchor at Gaston Mall that was lured to Eastridge and thus doomed Gaston Mall to being Gastonia's B mall afterwards?

Eastridge opened in 1976.

As far as I know Matthews Belk never had a store at Gaston Mall. It closed down its Downtown Gastonia store when Eastridge opened, and there was also a smaller suburban store at Dixie Village (?) for many years.

• 4 months later...

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/observer/news...on/16086628.htm

Some news on the breakup of Gaston Mall and its future, including information about the creek and building an offset road through the center to divert traffic. No word on what would happen to larger tenants Harris Teeter and Mary Jo's Fabrics but Pearson Properties said that there would be space for larger tenants. The question is would HT stay?

Some news on the breakup of Gaston Mall and its future, including information about the creek and building an offset road through the center to divert traffic. No word on what would happen to larger tenants Harris Teeter and Mary Jo's Fabrics but Pearson Properties said that there would be space for larger tenants. The question is would HT stay?

Has anyone heard anything on what will go at the MediaPlay site at Woodlawn and South. Being so close to a project to make the streets look nice, and being right next to a LRT station, I'm surprised it has sat vacant for so long.

What do you retail experts think could work there?

Well, it is a pretty decent size at 48,000 square feet, but unfortunately it seems most of the big box stores have moved down on South Boulevard, even with notion of the LRT.

http://www.kimcorealty.com/propsearch/site...p;OInterestID=1

SNCC0144_s.jpg

What could work there? A Super Bi-Lo maybe? There aren't a whole lot of grocery stores directly off the LRT.

Are there any stores that typically co-locate with middle-ring Home Depots? It seems with Home Depot anchoring the center, that there should be some other retailers that would like to be nearby. I agree a grocer is probably a very good idea, especially one like BiLo that tends to focus on lower prices. Given that Walmart already abandonned the general vicinity, a low-prices grocer might do well to locate there.

As this is the closest big-box center to downtown, we tend to go here occassionally, and we'd definitely take LRT to it when that opens. Especially because I usually end up just getting small things from Home Depot. My wife likes to bargain shop at TJ Maxx.

It is a much better location for Office Depot than their current spot a at South and Seneca. It might be good for them to relocate.

It also might be good to subdivide it into smaller places that face both east and west. That way, smaller shops can expand into a prominent center serving LRT and the SouthPark area.

Archived