Asheville Buildings and Streetscapes (Pt III)

monsoon

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great photos as always!

That's a great idea! I need to add watermarks to some of my photos. I've noticed them appearing on someone's web site, without credit. :(

I have a good friend who works at a graphic design studio above the Blue Moon. That's a great place for a sandwich! There's an architecture firm up there also. Across the street from the General Store is an access to an alley. ;) I enjoy photographing the alleys of Asheville. They feel so urban. Did you go in the Mast General Store? One of the coolest places in downtown Asheville. It has the feel of a real country store, in the city. :blink:

Has anyone ever tried to get a photo of that sculpture with the Gwinett Building in the background? I tried once about two years ago, but I needed my wide angle, which I didn't have back then.

When I was home for Christmas break (I'm back at school in Georgia now) we had a mix of weather. It was warm one day and freezing cold the next. Too bad you didn't visit during one of the warmer days. I was out without a coat a few days before Christmas.

The watermarks have no effect on the photos. I didn't notice it until I found an area of solid color and I saw your forum name. :huh:

I also take huge photos and crop and resize them. That's why it takes me so long to post my photos. I still have two photo tours I haven't even resized yet. My class schedule won't allow for any big trips any time soon, so I'll just post them later. ;)

A word on Mast General Store -- there are six different Mast stores. The original store is in Valle Crucis, NC, with the others in Boone, Asheville, Waynesville, and Hendersonville, NC and one in Greenville, SC.

Each store occupies an historic building and is designed to have the flavor of a store from the era when each of its store buildings was constructed. Asheville's Mast store building was built in the 1940's and has that "Buy War Bonds!" feel to it. Hendersonville's store dates from 1905 and feels a lot like a Victorian emporium.

The original store in Valle Crucis was built in 1883 with an annex added in 1909 and has that 19th cenutury/early 20th century country general store feel to it. Each store is very unique and adds a lot to the town it calls home. The Mast company has a philosophy of going into historic downtowns and rehabilitating a building in need of some love, which is why they're one of my favorite companies.

• 4 months later...

Archived