Update: The Vue on Main

memphismike

I recently inquired on the Vue's website (thevueonmain.com) about construction progress as well as the retail aspect of the project. This is the response I received from the sales representative:

We are currently resolving financing issues and hope to commence in January. There is +/-13,000 SF of retail on Main Street that is intended for neighborhood uses such as banks, cleaners, restaurants - uses that will serve the residents of the apartment tower.

Thank you for your interest.

Scott M. Andrews, CCIM

The Nashoba Group, LLC

901-507-0334 Ext. 207

901-292-3993 Mobile

901-507-0337 Fax

So, now we all know what's going on!

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the update!

Sometimes you hear the "working on financing" line on a project for years and nothing ever happens, but I still think The Vue will become a reality. The downtown residential market is just too hot. Most of the new construction is condo, and even some apartments such as the Claridge House are going condo, so there is a need for affordable-but-nice housing.

• 4 weeks later...

vue16ca.jpg

This photo taken from the intersection of Gayoso and November 6th next to the current Jolly Royal furniture parking lot (hopefully soon to be an Embassy Suites).

vue23ef.jpg

This one was taken from Gayoso looking NE back across the project. It's not much to look at now, but at least some site prep work is taking place.

mainstreet1wq.jpg

This is across Main Street from the Vue site. Main between Gayoso and Union went from an abandoned and ignored eyesore a few years ago to one big construction site now. It's still an eyesore, but the scaffolding and constant jackhammering at every old building is a positive sign for the future. The top photo also shows the redevelopment on the west side of Main.

Thanks for the pics! Although I was born in Memphis, I live over 700 miles away, and it's always nice to see photos.

The Vue site actually looks about the same as when I was down there last June. It's good to see that block of Main get fixed up. It looks like they tore down a row of buildings on the west side of the street, though, and put in something newer.

Here's a rendering of the Embassy Suites in case you've not seen it:

EmbassyL.jpg

jmduke--

In your last pic, are they renovating those buildings on the right, the white-looking ones? I've seen all sorts of proposals, and construction signs around them, just curious.

If the Vue gets off the ground, I really think that block of Main--and all of Main really--will be a premier part of downtown in a couple years. I wish they'd open up the street to traffic though.

I really do hope this project gets off the ground. I remember seeing that lot a few months ago when I was in Memphis. It's just begging to be developed, and it would be a wonderful addition to Memphis. Until then it's just an eyesore and is detrimental to the whole look and feel of the area.

Regarding the picture, the bldgs. on the right are being reworked, but I don't know exactly what the plans are. When I get a little more time, I'll head back down there and see what the real story is. From what I could tell, pretty much all the west side of Main is being redeveloped, while the east side has some buildings still awaiting purchase and rework. Not sure why there's a disparity, but they'll probably find a suitor before too long.

• 2 weeks later...

here's the most recent response from Scott Andrews at the Nashoba Group...hopefully this can get going before I come back home for the summer.

We currently anticipate a formal announcement on the project in late

Jan. or

early Feb. at which time we will update the website with considerably

more

information. Construction will take about 18 months, and we hope to

commence in March. Thus, completion is projected in late 2007.

here's the most recent response from Scott Andrews at the Nashoba Group...hopefully this can get going before I come back home for the summer.

We currently anticipate a formal announcement on the project in late

Jan. or

early Feb. at which time we will update the website with considerably

more

information. Construction will take about 18 months, and we hope to

commence in March. Thus, completion is projected in late 2007.

This is good news! I had almost forgot about this project because its taking so long.

Be nice if we could see a rendering of how the Vue would look at night....Will it have lights to illuminate it like Clark Tower? Whatever happened to Light it Up Memphis any way?

I don't know, but I'm interested in finding out. I thought it was one of the most ambitious projects that could yield results (a grand-scale organic art exhibit). I think Urban Art Commission is involved in it. But if there is any dependency on government financing, it could be suffering from current budget setbacks.

• 2 weeks later...

We are currently resolving financing issues and hope to commence in January. There is +/-13,000 SF of retail on Main Street that is intended for neighborhood uses such as banks, cleaners, restaurants - uses that will serve the residents of the apartment tower.

Well, January's come and gone. Any dirt being moved around yet?

Archived