Most dangerous area in your city?

bsutter2

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I could tell you where the bad areas in Atlanta are, but chances are they won't be bad for long. Atlanta is constantly changing; on minute an area is a total slum and the next minute it's the hot new neighborhood. Right now, the more infamous bad areas of ATL are anywhere less than 10 miles south of the city (College Park, East Point) However, these areas are slowly gentrifying. Now the bad areas are starting to move into North Clayton county and South Dekalb county.

Ebony Gardens made a point about any road with MLK in it, and it holds true for Jacksonville. Jacksonvillle is the old major metro of FL, and while it may be smaller than the rest, but it has a larger ghetto than both Orlando and Tampa. The whole North-Northwest-West side of the county (Duval) are full of bad industrial and decrepit areas. Springfield was once a VERY BAD AND DANGEROUS slum just north of downtown that is being gentrified big time today. There are still multiple police cars on every block though. There is a site that details the demographics, and I'll try to find it (it's a government site), and that's how I know our ghetto is bigger than most in FL except maybe for Miami which is similar sized, but Miami also has other bad districts (little Haiti has some bad areas, same with Little Havana, and some western areas west of town). If anyone is interested in seeing high crime and fairly dense and deprived areas, travel through Springfield and on roads like Moncrief, Beaver street, golfair blvd, and myrtle avenue.

The most dangerous area in any city is any one that has Martin Luther King Blvd. attached to it. Often, MLK Blvd. takes you deep into the ghetto. Frenchtown in Tallahassee is still considered by many locals to be the most notorious part of Tallahassee, even though the criminal element has been driven out due to revitalization. Ebony Gardens projects, formerly located at Macomb & Fourth Ave got knocked down due to old age & violence/drug traffic.

Not in Charlotte. Charlotte is renaming a prominent downtown road after Dr. King. It's certainly a deviation from the norm.

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=20000

In Shreveport, east and west Cedar Grove are the most dangerous areas. I used to live in an apartment on the "good side of the tracks" from Cedar Grove, but the crime still spilled over. The city averages 50+ murders per year and the highest percentage of them is typically in Cedar Grove. Other areas of Shreveport to avoid are Allendale, Ledbetter Heights, Hollywood Heights, Fair Park, Queensborough, and MLK to name a few.

Given that you have lived in other locations, you are apparently not too familar with Fayetteville. Ive been going to Fayetteville between 1990-2004 so i know what areas are bad.

Come to Fayetteville and ask any person what area they wouldn't dare go to at night and I guarantee you 95% of them will say the Murch.

Also. I've lived here since 1998, and my moms family has been here since 1960. So I know plenty about the area.

• 3 weeks later...

Not in Charlotte. Charlotte is renaming a prominent downtown road after Dr. King. It's certainly a deviation from the norm.

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=20000

Ditto in Chapel Hill & Durham. MLK Blvd (formerly Airport Rd) in Chapel Hill is the biggest throughfare, north-south, in town, and there isn't much 'ghetto' in Chapel Hill, at least not in the more stereotypically bad associations of the term.

Durham's MLK Parkway is a ring road that loops through the southern suburbs, from SW Durham to the western edge of Research Triangle Park. Durham has plenty of scary, scary areas, but this road is nowhere near them. Interestingly, there was a recent plan to name a street in Durham after Rosa Parks, but the suggested street was in a housing project in East Durham, and it was suggested in a city council meeting that if they wanted to honor Rosa Parks, it should be something a bit more 'dignified' than a short street in the projects.

Raleigh's MLK Blvd does run through a predominatly African-American section of town, though I don't know if I'd call it the ghetto, especially with it's close, close proximity to downtown probably turning it into a lucrative place to live a few years down the road.

There are so many in Birmingham, I don't even know where to start.

Eastlake, Centerpoint, Huffman, Ensley (parts of it), Pratt City, Brighton, Fairfield (again, parts of it), Century Plaza mall area, Tarrant, Inglenook.

I'm sure there are more.

Now for the small town mention(lol). Here in little Lexington, I would say the Raleigh Road area is the worst. It's home to the new projects(we have about 4 main projects) and the neighboorhoods around it are pretty run down. You here about alot of shootings up that way and theres always some hookers at the BP gas station there at night. Usually.

For Richmond,Va it would be the notorious "Northside" area. already 7 murders this year in that 3 square mile area. (cracktown)

Now for the small town mention(lol). Here in little Lexington, I would say the Raleigh Road area is the worst. It's home to the new projects(we have about 4 main projects) and the neighboorhoods around it are pretty run down. You here about alot of shootings up that way and theres always some hookers at the BP gas station there at night. Usually.

BP has all the classy hookers...

• 1 month later...

In Richmond, it's not the Northside, thats improving dramaticly. It's parts of the southside and eastend and of course Jackson Ward would mess up the Northside. but that should stop soon.

Most of the crime in Richmond happens in the Eastend or Southside.

The Northside is over 3 sq miles, its about 8 to 12 sq miles.

3 sq miles is the Jackson Ward area.

Yeap, That part of J-Ward.

It's odd, how the Fan is more unsafe and it's not across from a ghetto. And Historic Jackson Ward is safer then it and it's across from a ghetto.

Jackson Ward, no Gilpin Court is the real reason that downtown decined and some people are scared to come downtown.

I think they (Richmond Redevelopment) needs to give them all money to move same where and distroy those projects, because they mess up the value of our city.

(It would be funny if all of them moved to the Westend (Henrico).

But most likely the southside, then it would become abunch of sects.

• 1 month later...

NE Washington DC should be on the list, most def. SE DC is a nasty area, but its pretty easy to avoid. Sursum Corda housing project off of New York Ave NE is a notoriously bad place. . .lots of slinging, they had at least 5-6 murders in there over the past year. Bad thing is its easy to make a wrong turn and end up surrounded by some pretty hard gangstas who wouldn't think twice about dragging your ass out of your car. DCPD picked up an 11 year old from that neighborhood after a shooting. . .he had a couple pistols and a tech-9 in his bookbag. . no joke. Heard they're tearing it down and putting in some $300k + condos. Won't shed any tears.

NE Washington DC should be on the list, most def. SE DC is a nasty area, but its pretty easy to avoid. Sursum Corda housing project off of New York Ave NE is a notoriously bad place. . .lots of slinging, they had at least 5-6 murders in there over the past year. Bad thing is its easy to make a wrong turn and end up surrounded by some pretty hard gangstas who wouldn't think twice about dragging your ass out of your car. DCPD picked up an 11 year old from that neighborhood after a shooting. . .he had a couple pistols and a tech-9 in his bookbag. . no joke. Heard they're tearing it down and putting in some $300k + condos. Won't shed any tears.

Yes, I must agree. SE DC is up there with the 9th Ward in New Orleans, SW Atlanta, West End in Birmingham, and Liberty City in Greater Miami when it comes to notoriously bad areas.

Archived