Most dangerous area in your city?

bsutter2

After reading this entire thread, I'm struck by how many dangerous areas plague Birmingham...

And Fayetteville! yikes~~

Here is my question: does anyone have any idea what a somewhat well taken care of home in one of those neighborhoods would cost. 3/2, an older home in good shape, but in an extremely high-crime area.

Used to be, when I lived in Jax, ya could get a super nice fixer in Springfield for $15,000. That was when it was one of the most dangerous and destitute areas in the state. I understand the prices have gone up quite a bit there.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't find NE DC that bad. I have family there and everytime I'm there , i dont see anything that i dont see in other cities. Now SE DC is pretty horrible. No lie on that.

In Dallas, everybody likes to say Oak Cliff but the fair park area in SE Dallas is much much worse to me. Pleasent Grove can has its time too. Worse than Overtown in Miami. Houston has it's parts as well from the 5th ward to Sharpstown in SW Houston.

The most dangerous area in any city is any one that has Martin Luther King Blvd. attached to it. Often, MLK Blvd. takes you deep into the ghetto. Frenchtown in Tallahassee is still considered by many locals to be the most notorious part of Tallahassee, even though the criminal element has been driven out due to revitalization. Ebony Gardens projects, formerly located at Macomb & Fourth Ave got knocked down due to old age & violence/drug traffic.

Houston falls victim to this one in some parts. South Park in Houston looks pretty bad and MLK runs right through it.

Park Place in Norfolk. Huntersville is really bad. Drive by shootings and blood activity. Berkely and OV (Ocean View) use to be really bad but clean up took care of that. The bad thing about Hville is that the police station is 2 blocks over and people are getting murdered right around the corner.

In Atlanta anywhere around the Federal Pentitentary in the southeast and especially Thomasville Heights

A good friend of mine just moved to Benteen Park, adjacent to the pen and it doesn't look that bad to me. I woud say SWATS is probably the most dangerous section of Atlanta.

A good friend of mine just moved to Benteen Park, adjacent to the pen and it doesn't look that bad to me. I woud say SWATS is probably the most dangerous section of Atlanta.

I spent some time in Atlanta last week and ended up in a pretty rough part of town. Got a little lost and found myself at the intersection of Northside and Bankhead Hwy. Those roads border one of the worst neighborhoods (Vine City?) I have ever seen. At one point I didn't know if I was going to make it out. . . tons of people wandering around the streets, no cars really, and absolutely no police presence. I just put my foot on the gas and prayed my car didn't break down. I can't believe places like this still exist. . . and so close to the city!

I spent some time in Atlanta last week and ended up in a pretty rough part of town. Got a little lost and found myself at the intersection of Northside and Bankhead Hwy. Those roads border one of the worst neighborhoods (Vine City?) I have ever seen. At one point I didn't know if I was going to make it out. . . tons of people wandering around the streets, no cars really, and absolutely no police presence. I just put my foot on the gas and prayed my car didn't break down. I can't believe places like this still exist. . . and so close to the city!

Oh, they do. There actually a lot of them around Metro Atlanta like southern DeKalb County particularly around Decatur, most of Southwest Atlanta aka SWATS like Adamsville, and most of the area between Cascade Road and College Park.

Oh yeah I forgot, parts of Clayton County as well.

For Charlotte, I'd say anywhere just west of Uptown across I-77 (Freedom Drive, Statesville Ave., Johnson C. Smith University).

The area between Uptown and the NoDa Arts district is rather unpleasant to travel to, but new development is slowly starting to gut this area of crime.

Central Avenue has a lot of bad pockets.

As different from other cities, Charlotte's South End is probably the most affluent and popular place to live, Dilworth especially.

Oh, and the Little Havana that is South Blvd. should change radically over the next decade with new infrastructure blowing up around the first light rail to be completed next year.

For Charlotte, I'd say anywhere just west of Uptown across I-77 (Freedom Drive, Statesville Ave., Johnson C. Smith University).

The area between Uptown and the NoDa Arts district is rather unpleasant to travel to, but new development is slowly starting to gut this area of crime.

Central Avenue has a lot of bad pockets.

As different from other cities, Charlotte's South End is probably the most affluent and popular place to live, Dilworth especially.

Oh, and the Little Havana that is South Blvd. should change radically over the next decade with new infrastructure blowing up around the first light rail to be completed next year.

I agree, the intersection of Statesville Ave and Tuckaseege (sp?) has always been a hot spot. Dilworth is definitely a nice (and now very expensive) place to live but I'm not sure it has surpassed Myers Park as Charlotte's most swank address.

Northside? Please.. yeah that's Hookerville along CHamberlain. And then there's Prostitute Mecca along Jefferson Davis. But I have always said that THE worst area in Richmond was Bellemeade (Afton Ave. the bloodiest street in Richmond's history) and a good portion of Southside along with Blackwell and an area between Forest Hill and Broad Rock. I would not want to walk around those areas at all. North Jackson Ward can have daytime shootings thanks to Gilpin. But as far as the East End, it's becoming safer. They just need to break up the concentration of the poor. The East End gets a bad rep... but living here all my life, it's where I'd rather be.

Come to Fayetteville and ask any person what area they wouldn't dare go to at night and I guarantee you 95% of them will say the Murch.

Also. I've lived here since 1998, and my moms family has been here since 1960. So I know plenty about the area.

Where I work everyone says the Murch is the worst, however, I thought all of Cumberland County was bad :lol:. That's why I moved to Moore County. I went from a county that is one of the 10 worst in NC for schools to one of the 10 best. When I moved my auto insurance dropped by $200 a year, and my property taxes dropped as well. While I lived in Cumberland County two my my neighbors had their houses broken too. On a side note the first few months month I lived in the Fayetteville a woman who was seven months pregnant robbed a bank. I thought to myself where have I moved too :shok:

While I was in Chattanooga Alton Park, East Chattanooga, East Lake, and the sliver of downtown West of US 27/I-124 to the river. I read recently where there were some gang murders in the Alton Park area; and E. Chattanooga, and E. Lake have some revitalization helping small portions of them out. When I lived on Cameron Hill we had a few breakins related to the thugs that live in the projects across MLK. I think its know as the College ??? area.

Newport News, Virginia, East End (the old downtown area of the city); it's Hell down there. Almost all of the notorious murders in the city thus-far this year have occurred in that 40 or so square block area. It's so ridiculous, and somewhat of a continuing issue that really has no forseeable solution. It's a cycle of poverty, drugs, and crime :( I think most major cities have these problems, but it's so overly concentrated in Newport News, I wish it could just be totally eradicated.

• 2 weeks later...

jacksonville has pockets of ghetto through out the city even in nice areas.........but northside the part near the westside is prolly the worst and im tired of goin out with freinds and everytime i leave the car and come back a window is broken out........but other then tht i love this city

I agree, the intersection of Statesville Ave and Tuckaseege (sp?) has always been a hot spot. Dilworth is definitely a nice (and now very expensive) place to live but I'm not sure it has surpassed Myers Park as Charlotte's most swank address.

Statesville Ave out to I-85 yes (Statesville doesn't intersect Tuckaseegee, BTW).

Parts of east central Durham are real scary; otherwise I find Durham's reptuation to be a bit overblown.

Durham, NC has got to be the toughest part in the Triangle.

Yikes. How's that for a generalization?

East Durham is pretty nasty. But what a lot of Triangle residents don't know about Durham is that for every dangerous neighborhood there are dozens of perfectly safe ones. As evidenced by the testimony of those who've contributed to this thread, there are "tough" parts of every city.

Anyways, to answer the question: 610 N. Buchanan Blvd.

• 5 months later...

Our old downtown area is getting bad again... especially at night.... there have been alot of prostitution and panhandling going on again according to the local news/newspaper down there recently and it was on the news that police patrol was increased down there. Its gotten worse since they ran the "bums" out of the "jungle"..... they all seemed to migrate downtown in the alleys, etc. <_<

I often drive through downtown on my way home from work on the one night I work the late shift, (as its quicker) and I go through as fast as possible... Its a fairly quick drive late at night when traffic is minimal.

Word to the wise: My tourists and Chucktown fans, when coming into Charleston, keep I-26 East until you hit downtown. Do pass go, and KEEP your $200, lol. Do Not stop in North Charleston, you have no reason to be there unless you are shopping. If you don't believe me, this city of roughly 70,000 has the sixth highest crime index of any city in the USA-along with Detroit, and D.C.- Not a badge of honor at all. If you stop you are automatically a target, because you will invariably have that lost tourist look. Do not become a statistic on your vacation, 'tis not a good thing. It gets better, once Downtown, you should really remain in your car until Calhoun or South of Calhoun. Even then, you should still be careful. Do not be fooled by the breezes and seemingly peaceful nature of Charleston, it is rough down here. Yet another paradox in this city.

^^^^Interesting advertisement for the Holy City,lol What Charleston's Son said about North Charleston is true though. Stay on the main streets and do not visit areas besides the main shopping areas and the convention center/coliseum/airport. North Charleston is huge for a suburb but has plenty of criminals that are not suburban in nature. Downtown, right. Stay away from the East side unless you are on East Bay St. heading to Calhoun St. and points south. My car was broken into on the east side for a bag of potato chips, an old radar detector, and my rearview mirror. The West side is a little safer but stay closer to the Citadel part of town and avoid the projects near the Crosstown Expressway. South of Calhoun is your safest bet. If you want to practically leave your door unlocked at night you'll want to visit Sullivan's Island, Isle of Palms, Mt. Pleasant, and definitely Seabrook and Kiawah Islands.

>> Come to Fayetteville and ask any person what area they

>> wouldn't dare go to at night and I guarantee you 95% of

>> them will say the Murch.

or bonnie doone. or east side of downtown. but they would probably just tell you to calm down because fayetteville isn't too bad these days.

>>Also. I've lived here since 1998

...so you obviously don't have a clue about fayetteville being bad

Archived