Most dangerous area in your city?

bsutter2

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Knoxville - Magnolia Avenue? Someone that is more familiar with Knoxville, please chime in......

I am sure that it is at least in east Knoxville.....

I have already mentioned our areas most dangerous spots.... it is just to the north of the downtown area (in the projects and vicinity) and the downtown area itself.

I don't find NE DC that bad. I have family there and everytime I'm there , i dont see anything that i dont see in other cities. Now SE DC is pretty horrible. No lie on that.

In Dallas, everybody likes to say Oak Cliff but the fair park area in SE Dallas is much much worse to me. Pleasent Grove can has its time too. Worse than Overtown in Miami. Houston has it's parts as well from the 5th ward to Sharpstown in SW Houston.

Houston falls victim to this one in some parts. South Park in Houston looks pretty bad and MLK runs right through it.

• 3 weeks later...
The most dangerous area in any city is any one that has Martin Luther King Blvd. attached to it. Often, MLK Blvd. takes you deep into the ghetto. Frenchtown in Tallahassee is still considered by many locals to be the most notorious part of Tallahassee, even though the criminal element has been driven out due to revitalization. Ebony Gardens projects, formerly located at Macomb & Fourth Ave got knocked down due to old age & violence/drug traffic.

I think most of the people who know the bad areas of their city only know them by perception...and popular perception makes it easy to identify dangerous areas. People often include the area I live in as the worst part of Atlanta, when most of it isn't at all...and besides the area is too big to be all ghetto. I mean really, how much time has anyone spent in the areas you say are the most dangerous?

My perception of the most dangerous areas in Atlanta would be Bankhead Hwy (not sure of the new name for it) in southwest Atlanta, Lakewood Ave area in southeast Atlanta, parts of Metropolitan Pkwy (aka Stuart Ave.). There is nothing in my area that can rival any of these from what I've seen...but again that's just my perception.

I agree, the most dangerous areas of Atlanta seem to be along Bankhead Hw(definitely the worst)y and Metropolitan Parkway. I would add Jonesboro Road and South Moreland Avenue areas, particularly neighborhoods closer to the federal penitentiary. I've seen several areas make a comeback or in the process of gentrifying, Grant Park, East Lake,among others. West End, while rough around the edges, doesn't really strike me as as bad of an area as it has a reputation as. Many of the older suburban areas in DeKalb, Cobb, Clayton, Gwinnett, and the tri-cities of South Fulton have become more blighted than much of central Atlanta. As Atlanta grows, and people return to the city, some of the suburbs that many fled to in the 1950's-1970's are rapidly becoming undesirable, though I don't think they are as crime ridden as some otherwise better areas inside Atlanta. And downtown still is intimidating to most sububanites and out-of-towner's, due to panhandlers and everything closing up at 6 o'clock. Most suburbanites don't distinguish between urban "gritty" and urban "slum", it all falls into "ghetto".

• 4 months later...
Today Greensboro, NC is the exception. MLK Blvd use to be a high crime area with drugs and prosititution but there is hardly an crime there today. MLK Blvd in downtown Greensboro cuts right through the middle new Southside development which has an upscale wine cafe and half a million dollar townhomes. Its difficult to say one given area in Greensboro. However crime typical are in the low income areas where there is public housing.

MLK Blvd (also probabally one of the very few cities where you have a good number of white people living along MLK) Its mainly black along MLK in the Ole Asheboro neighborhood but Its a good mix of black and white in Southside.

MLK Blvd Southside

SouthsideDecember24_2005_15.jpg

SouthsideDecember24_2005_9.jpg

SouthsideDecember24_2005_17.jpg

SSide2005_49.jpg

Archived