Upstate seccession

mcashlv

Yes, I'm quoting myself, but I just realized this......if Greenville is truly the economic engine that some people have said here and can do just fine without the rest of SC, why would they also need to acquire all of NC's major cities?

Hmmm...I think that speaks for itself. :whistling:

What's your problem with Greenville? This topic is the entire upstate. I think you're taking this topic way to seriously. Everything that is spoken here is all in fun and a 'what if'... :thumbsup:

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought this thread was started as a unique topic on a slow news day, but my have things gotten touchy! Personally, I never took it as anyone honestly wanting to secede. I don't think anyone in Greenville has thought about seceding from SC anymore than anyone in Charleston has. From my vantage point, nobody here was failing to realize the contributions from all corners of the state of SC.

Each of the three metro areas in the state has something very unique to offer. Everyone is entitled to his or her opinion as to which they prefer. :)

From my vantage point, nobody here was failing to realize the contributions from all corners of the state of SC.

You possibly missed the first post in this thread which spoke of the non-Upstate regions of the state as "mostly underproductive." I consider that to be an arrogant and misleading statement and being that the rest of the "Upstaters" chimed in with "Yes let's do it!" without challenging that statement does indeed paint the picture of "snobbish, elitist Upstaters" (at least here on UP).

You possibly missed the first post in this thread which spoke of the non-Upstate regions of the state as "mostly underproductive." I consider that to be an arrogant and misleading statement and being that the rest of the "Upstaters" chimed in with "Yes let's do it!" without challenging that statement does indeed paint the picture of "snobbish, elitist Upstaters" (at least here on UP).

I know for one that my first post here was something along the lines of "yes let's do it." Never once did i take this seriously. It's one of those fun things to impulsively decide to do just to have some change in pace. Just to speculate at...

If I, for one, offended anyone with my remarks that secession would be a 'good' thing, then I sincerely appologize. I never meant to make someone feel worthless or unimportant. I'd hate to see SC ever break up. I love this state and one thing that I would miss is not having the good ole palmetto and crescent. Anyway, I love each corner of SC, and I'm sorry if you have the opinion that the Upstate is made up of snobbish people, becuase it isn't. Live a little. :shades:

This thread seemed to be more in jest than anything when it was started. I don't think anyone actually believes that this is a good idea. I certainly do not. The ramifications of secession would be so destructive to the economy that it would not be worthwhile. That doesn't mean you can't talk about it though :)

This topic while somewhat amusing is also reason for concern.I live in Greenville and YES I do think that its a great place to live,however if you think about it South Carolina has just about every thing to offer.Why would anyone really want to split up such a great state.Every state has cultural differences and quarales amungst itself, but what would happen if everytime we had differences a new state was formed.I say their would be apx.10,000 states and still no one would be happy.

I think that as a State we should work together and make South Carolina the best state to live in . Things have finally started turning aroundfor this state we shouldn't tear it apart now.

When this topic was first posted I chuckled a little knowning that it had to be in jest. But as more replies piled up it seemed there was much contempt for the rest of SC, I too felt the urge to post a reply defending the rest of the state. I believe the reponses are easily mistaken as truth even when all it may be is 'what if.' Especially when facts start getting thrown around.

Thank you, krazee! I realize that this thread may have been in jest, but the beginning posts were quite elitist, blowing off the rest of SC as if it were the burden of GSA area citizens. I do not have a problem with G'ville, but I sure have a problem when people from G'ville started chiming in saying that they were all for secession, while at the same time downplaying the rest of the state's metro areas and their importance.

Like Mike just said, I at first chuckled with the subject heading, but it appeared as if people were taking it as a sincerely good idea. Eventually, I too had to respond to this thread due to some of the inane remarks made about the rest of SC.

Well actually.... breaking away from SC isn't particularly an upstate thing, as they have taken this up a few levels for a long time on the northern coast.

Maybe you guys have heard of the "Independant Republic of Horry"? This is in reference to Horry county thinking that it is not part of SC and my high school ring actually has the Independant Republic of Horry seal on it. LOL. I have heard stories about the past where they went and blew up the bridges across the Pee Dee and Wacammaw rivers leading to the rest of the state to separate themselves from the rest of SC.

Locally, Horry Independance Day is celebrated in late June.

Oh, I don't think there are many Charleston Blue Blooders left. They all sold out in the late 1980s and 90s to real estate developers.

Well actually.... breaking away from SC isn't particularly an upstate thing, as they have taken this up a few levels for a long time on the northern coast.

Maybe you guys have heard of the "Independant Republic of Horry"? This is in reference to Horry county thinking that it is not part of SC and my high school ring actually has the Independant Republic of Horry seal on it. LOL. I have heard stories about the past where they went and blew up the bridges across the Pee Dee and Wacammaw rivers leading to the rest of the state to separate themselves from the rest of SC.

Locally, Horry Independance Day is celebrated in late June.

Oh, I don't think there are many Charleston Blue Blooders left. They all sold out in the late 1980s and 90s to real estate developers.

I think this part of the state sometimes almost acts as if they wish to be disconnected from SC

...Oh, I don't think there are many Charleston Blue Blooders left. They all sold out in the late 1980s and 90s to real estate developers.
<_<

Nope, not all of those historic homes are owned by real estate developers. There are plenty of old "blue-bloods" who own houses in the historic area and live there. Some still have that "Chaaahhl-ston" accent. And if they sold their houses, they weren't sold to real estate people. Usually, they have been sold to transplanting Northerners who are moving to town permanently or who use the home as a vacation home.

<_<

Nope, not all of those historic homes are owned by real estate developers. There are plenty of old "blue-bloods" who own houses in the historic area and live there. Some still have that "Chaaahhl-ston" accent. And if they sold their houses, they weren't sold to real estate people. Usually, they have been sold to transplanting Northerners who are moving to town permanently or who use the home as a vacation home.

Some still have the "Chaaahhl-ston" accent because that is all that is left. Most of the houses are not owned by Charleston Blue Blooders which is my point. Charleston sold it "soul" to money and is now a dead city from a cultural standpoint. The vibe and low country culture that existed there 25 years ago is long gone. Its all pretend now.

Some still have the "Chaaahhl-ston" accent because that is all that is left. Most of the houses are not owned by Charleston Blue Blooders which is my point. Charleston sold it "soul" to money and is now a dead city from a cultural standpoint. The vibe and low country culture that existed there 25 years ago is long gone. Its all pretend now.

I'm sorry, but I have to disagree with you. Chas is surely not a dead city when it comes to culture and arts and I don't believe it sold its "soul" to money. There are plenty of opportunities to take in culture, the arts, and music. You still have people who make sweetgrass baskets and "flowers" along with street corner musicians. The good thing is that the area is cleaned up without drunks walking around the streets and pan-handling to all the tourists.

There was no vibe in the area when I was growing up. As a matter of fact, you had to be careful when going in certain areas due to high crime. I know you make this argument quite often metro, and I don't know if it is to get me upset or something, but making such a generalization about a city is not good judgment.

I'm actually thankful some of the blue-bloods are gone, because for many years, these people that lived DT had that aristocratic arrogance. That is definitely gone now, and I say good riddance!

I have no interest in upsetting you. I make the argument because it is a true statement. Charleston is a tourist place now and not much more than that. When you have so called authentic restaurants selling "cheese grits" from cooking school chefs, someone in the know, knows its all made up.

Well, I know we're getting off-topic here, but the argument you're making is only a true statement based on your opinion. That's fine to have, but I and many others who have lived, worked, played, and visited the city will dispute it, because it is only opinion.

As far as "cheese grits", somebody has to continue the tradition of cooking a delicacy. :D I mean, Aunt Lucy can't live forever and continue working forever out of her single-house kitchen making the stuff for 5 million+ tourists each year.

Chas is no less authentic than other historic tourist places such as Savannah, Boston, and New Orleans.

I had to edit for another thing you said. Chas is much more than tourism, and to say that it is only a tourist place now is definitely not true. The city is becoming less and less dependent on tourism, which is a fact, not an opinion. The city is becoming a manufacturing, real estate, and business mecca with the 2nd largest port on the East Coast.

I go to school in Charleston, and although I think Charleston is an overrated city by most people, it is certainly not dead. I have been impressed by the number of people you see downtown on weekends. The nightlife is very good, especially for a city of Charleston's size. And it seems that there are a lot of art galleries downtown. I even commented to a friend of mine that I wondered how they all stay open, since there seem to be a lot.

I do think Charleston has gotten where it is due to tourism, and that will continue to be Charleston's bread and butter, regardless of Piggly Wiggly or the new Verizon building on Mall Drive.

I encounter plenty of the "Old Charleston" attitudes and accents. That is not dead, although you will also find people of other backgrounds there.

Many of the old houses are reclaimed/remodeled, although many streets (aside from the Battery, obviously) will have one well-preserved house followed by 10 run-down houses. Some find this "charming" and "historical." I find it depressing. Same goes for the large amount of ghetto territory. But city leaders contend that both of these things changing. Hopefully, for Charleston's sake, it is.

If you like the coast, some excellent restaurants, somewhat of a small town feel, and the Old South history, you will love Charleston. Just be willing to put up with that nasty paper mill smell downtown several times a week (I am told that is due to high tide or something).

Well, I know we're getting off-topic here, but the argument you're making is only a true statement based on your opinion. That's fine to have, but I and many others who have lived, worked, played, and visited the city will dispute it, because it is only opinion.

As far as "cheese grits", somebody has to continue the tradition of cooking a delicacy. :D I mean, Aunt Lucy can't live forever and continue working forever out of her single-house kitchen making the stuff for 5 million+ tourists each year.

Chas is no less authentic than other historic tourist places such as Savannah, Boston, and New Orleans.

I had to edit for another thing you said. Chas is much more than tourism, and to say that it is only a tourist place now is definitely not true. The city is becoming less and less dependent on tourism, which is a fact, not an opinion. The city is becoming a manufacturing, real estate, and business mecca with the 2nd largest port on the East Coast.

Charleston has never been in the same league culturally as New Orleans. The Big Easy has given us jazz, blues, Tennessee Williams, Lee Harvey Oswald, and according to many great chefs the finest cuisine in America (I'm sure you'll all disagree with that). What great thing ever came out of Charleston? Fact is, Greenville is much more progressive and forward looking than Charleston. Manufacturing creates real, tangible wealth. Service jobs do not and never will. Charleston is a quaint little museum town, filled with snobs, overpriced grits, curiosity shops, and horses that wear diapers. The upstate really would be better off without the rest of the state. Columbia is a government town, those high paying government jobs are paid with tax revenues. Columbia produces nothing, consumes everything. Myrtle Beach is a tourist/retirement town, produces golf courses, sales tax, and nothing much else.

Charleston has never been in the same league culturally as New Orleans. The Big Easy has given us jazz, blues, Tennessee Williams, Lee Harvey Oswald, and according to many great chefs the finest cuisine in America (I'm sure you'll all disagree with that). What great thing ever came out of Charleston? Fact is, Greenville is much more progressive and forward looking than Charleston. Manufacturing creates real, tangible wealth. Service jobs do not and never will. Charleston is a quaint little museum town, filled with snobs, overpriced grits, curiosity shops, and horses that wear diapers. The upstate really would be better off without the rest of the state. Columbia is a government town, those high paying government jobs are paid with tax revenues. Columbia produces nothing, consumes everything. Myrtle Beach is a tourist/retirement town, produces golf courses, sales tax, and nothing much else.

How can you compare Columbia, Charleston, and Mrtyle Beach with a whole REGION...I can see if you were talking about the Midlands, the Low Country, and the Pee Dee...But of course the Upstate is going to produce more stuff than one little city :)

If you like the coast, some excellent restaurants, somewhat of a small town feel, and the Old South history, you will love Charleston. Just be willing to put up with that nasty paper mill smell downtown several times a week (I am told that is due to high tide or something).

Its most likely from the huge paper mill, and not the tide at all. Its more related to prevailing wind than anything, which is why you smell it at night more than in the day (sea breeze effect)

New Orleans also has (had) some of the highest poverty rates in the nation. Lee Harvey Oswald? Come on now..... Charleston is known for many firsts in America and is one of our oldest established cities. Charleston was the site of many historic battles during the Revolution and the starting place of the Civil War, and like it or not, that is an important part of America's history.

This is not the place for a rundown of Charleston's historical significance. Because that is unquestionable. For someone posting on these forums you should have a little more appreciation for what Charleston has to offer.

Greenville more progressive than Charleston? huh? Columbia produces nothing, consumes everything? Let's see: Metro Columbia produces Bose Wave Radios, Michelin Tires, Pirelli fiber optics, bricks, bricks and more bricks, fuel injection systems, pasta, spices, dog food, nuclear fuels, advanced man-made fibers, batteries, guns, boats, computer software, dildoes (yes, in Hopkins), steel, limestone, granite, signs, data storage equipment, aluminum buildings, electricity, chemicals, flour, paper, railroad equipment, tape, electronics products, coffee, fishing line, corrugated containers, concrete, log homes, quail, chicken, Arabian Horses, and lots of college graduates (more than any metro in the state, by far).

Archived