March of the Penguins

snoogit

I started this topic in the GVSU thread, and I didn't want to detract from it, so I made a new thread for this discussion: So GRDad, we need yer help in cleaning things up a bit :P

Even Lemieux is saying that Pittsburgh is likely leaving:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2255699

Once the lease on the Mellon Arena expires in 2007, Pittsburgh Penguins owner Mario Lemieux believes there is only "a slim chance" the franchise will remain in Pittsburgh, the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reported.

Lemieux cites the lack of progress toward getting the up-to-date arena for his pessimistic view.

Its sad to see the Pens be in this situation, but assuming the big cities, Kansas City, Las Vegas, Portland, Seattle are obvious, any darkhorse canidates to land the Penguins?

I'd say the two Dark Horses in all of this are Winnipeg, Mannitoba and Grand Rapids, MI.

Either way the Pens are moving west, which means someone in the Central division will be moving into the Eastern Conference, My bets are on Columbus, but Detroit or Nashville could just as easily move to the East.

It would actually be easier for the NHL to move the Pens to GR, because Columbus or Nashville for GR would be an easy swap, and playing Detroit 8 times a year would be a HUGE draw for GR, and give it instant ticket sales. I don't think even Kansas City could draw as big a crowd like a Detroit vs GR crowd could.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its sad to see the Pens be in this situation, but assuming the big cities, Kansas City, Las Vegas, Portland, Seattle are obvious, any darkhorse canidates to land the Penguins?

I had heard that Kansas City was wooing the Pens fairly strongly. They haven't had a NHL team since 1976. Maybe they miss their hockey.

Nitro

I had heard that Kansas City was wooing the Pens fairly strongly. They haven't had a NHL team since 1976. Maybe they miss their hockey.

Nitro

Maybe, but with St. Louis there, I just dont know if Missouri could sustain TWO hockey teams. I do think however the hockey fanbase is large enough here for GR to have one.

It is. To be technical, this region (60 min drive time - normal pro-sports local area) could accomodate 3. Economically West Michigan is well over $100 billion (with GR, Kzoo, BC, Musk, Holland, and far West Lansing area) and around 2.5 million people. More than enough to support some Pro sports.

It is. To be technical, this region (60 min drive time - normal pro-sports local area) could accomodate 3. Economically West Michigan is well over $100 billion (with GR, Kzoo, BC, Musk, Holland, and far West Lansing area) and around 2.5 million people. More than enough to support some Pro sports.

I know the population is here, but I think that the Hockey fanbase is stronger here in MI then it is in Missouri for sure.

I also think a city like Milwaukee, or Indianapolis could be a good move for the Pens as well, but if I had to place my bets they are moving to KC. I just hope someone is reading and maybe gets a spark in their brain :P

Wanna talk about NHL here, just look at the AHL and IHL track record here. I've been to a lot of Griffins games and they had a pull of 8,500 to 9,000 seats sold. I wonder how many seats NHL would require before actually moving. I think SuperNOVA was talking about skybox sales as being the motivator for NHL moves or any major sports to move here.

Is there any type of minimum seating requirement to have a franchise? Would Van Andel Arena be large enough to meet that? I think it only seats about 11,000 compared to the 16,000-20,000 seat venues most NHL franchises play at.

VAA is large enough to hold an NHL team as-is. The team with the smallest attendance would fit in VAA right now. Since theres two years to decide where the Pens are going, that gives VAA two years to prepare :P the Van was supposed to be an NHL-caliber arena, but when Devos couldnt get an expansion license from the NHL the Van was scaled back.

^I wonder if The Families have something instore again for their revitilization of downtown...?

I want to start a letter writing campaign to the owners of the Pens, and the NHL to recognize our fair city. Its sad to see the Pens move, but if they do let them come to a city willing to accept them.

^Good idea. I think you'd have to prove why Grand Rapids diserves their patronage. I mean they probably have people all over the facts of where to go and what gets them to the bottom line. I'm sure they know about GR, but if we're not glanced at, that just shows that the experts think we don't have the capacity to host NHL.

Archived