March of the Penguins

snoogit

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Grand Rapidians for Major League Expansion (GRMLE)?

I think the acronym should be: NHL IN GRAND RAPIDS. It would stand for:

National Hockey League Investigates New Great Rink Area Near Downtown, Racing Around Players In Deluxe Skates

Whaddya think??

While I hate being the resident UP cynic, can someone pull up a list of requirements, needed, in order for a city to be considered, for hosting an NHL franchise? Houston would I think without question get the pens. Long before Grand Rapids This city of Houston itself, has over 2mil people with a metro of 4.5 mil. It would be a hell of alot easier and profitable for an NHL franchise owner to make money there, when 4.5million people are within 45min drive, versus 2.5 million people spread out over an area larger than the state of New Jersey. I think we will just have to settle with being a minor league mecca for a while. I just don't feel we're quite where we need to be to get profesional, national sports.

^I really don't think thats one of the lone qualifications, but I think SuperNOVA had went into great detail (On another forum) about the factors that can determin if GR could get an NHL team, lets ask him to respond in this thread again. If there wasn't already speculation for NHL in Grand Rapids, now or before, then I really don't see this even being an issue even five years from now. I thought that Devos had an eye on NBA here, but I guess that didn't go through.

some random thoughts.

currently washington is lowest in average attendance with over 12,000, already past max capacity for the Van.

plus, i wouldnt rule out any canadian cities as darkhorses as they rank 1, 5,6,7,8 and 15 in attendance. the surprise i have is the the northeast's poor showing with washington dead last, and buffalo, new jersey, and the ny islanders all in the bottom 8.

plus, i dont see kc as a viable option. currently st louis is 27th in attendance, but is surprising due to perennially being a top 10 team prior to the strike.

I see a city like Milwaukee, if there is a strong effort locally, to be a frontrunner. plus, i would't doubt houston from being stiff competition with such a large pop.

if i were gm, i'd say milwaukee or houston, but i dont see missouri being a large enough market to support two pro teams. they can barely handle the cheifs and royals as it is.

^I wonder if a NHL franchise would create its own market? You have the AHL crowd in full force for all the home games for the Griffins, would they be the core of an NHL market? I am assuming the fans of the Griffins would share most of the market of an NHL team here, plus you have the folks who only like NHL, but who don't have a following to any team, they would just goto the games because its the 'bigs.' Then you also have a huge Detroit following who only swear by Detroit, would they be a realistic market? I wonder how Detroits domination in big league sports would play in this..?

Side note: Plus you have businessmen with a vested interest in the revitilization of Downtown, who are billionaires. If the Families wanted this here, and they thought it would give Downtown a shot in the arm, then they would be at the front to make it happen. If its not happening now or in the next five years then its not a peice in the puzzle of their 'master plan.'

K.C. makes first move to lure Penguins

Just to throw fuel on the fire.

On another note, it's not about Metro size or arena size, it's all about profitability. VAA is one of the few arenas in the country that makes a consistent profit (although moreso on concerts). Most are subsidized by taxpayers, with the hopes that they will create spin-off commerce (and sometimes just to HAVE a pro-sports team).

Stadiums and convention centers as community loss leaders

Devos Place is in the red now, but with plans for profitability within a few years.

As optimistic as I'd like to be about a pro team moving to Grand Rapids and as much as I would love to see it(seriously) I doubt its going to happen...

1) GR doesn't even fill the Van Andel for Griffins games.(At least every game I've ever been to). Granted we're talking a pro-team here but a town needs to show loyal devotion to its team, minor league or not. I do think that we could support a Double or possibly even Triple A franchise for MLB, though or a NBA D-League team (developmental league).

2) There are too many other large markets out there with too many possible dollars of revenue for an owner or NHL to ignore...Houston, Las Vegas, San Antonio, Kansas City, and Seattle jump to mind.

3) GR would be competing with other (and larger) midwest cities such as Indianapolis, Cleveland, Cincinnati, and Milwaukee, all whom could make realistic homes to an NHL team

4) There are too many Red Wing loyalist around here for a GR hockey team to ever establish a significant following, not to mention the Blackhawks.

5) I doubt the NHL would want to expand its brand into a Northern city, an already saturated market area. The south and west is the place to be right now for pro franchises.

But hey...stranger things have happened. Trust me, I would love to be proved wrong.

4) There are too many Red Wing loyalist around here for a GR hockey team to ever establish a significant following, not to mention the Blackhawks.

5) I doubt the NHL would want to expand its brand into a Northern city, an already saturated market area. The south and west is the place to be right now for pro franchises.

Blasphemy! There are no lilly livered Blackhawk fans in these parts!! :D I have to admit I'd still be a Big D fan but I would probably buy season tickets for the GR team.

There is something terribly wrong about hosting hockey in a southern city that doesn't get ice naturally.

What would they name the new team??? How about the Grand Rapids Mochs? Their mascot could be a big crocodile.

Nitro

Blasphemy! There are no lilly livered Blackhawk fans in these parts!! :D I have to admit I'd still be a Big D fan but I would probably buy season tickets for the GR team.

There is something terribly wrong about hosting hockey in a southern city that doesn't get ice naturally.

What would they name the new team??? How about the Grand Rapids Mochs? Their mascot could be a big crocodile.

Nitro

If we're going that route, they also could be the Azzars, and the logo would be a dilapidated building with boarded-up windows.

The Grand Rapids Furniture Makers... Or The Grand Rapids Penguins, "The real north." I still think were selling GR short. I couldnt believe how many of my co-workers responded when I said that Grand Rapids should have a NHL team. They all agreed.. Most of them are loyal Wing fans, wierd.

My take on being a Lion's fan is like being a fan of Howard Stern. You pretty much keep paying attention just to see what idiotic behavior is next.

Nitro

I equate being a Lions fan similar to taking a knee to the crotch, after a while you just get used to it, and it doesnt hurt anymore.

if a campaign started id be in. i think for a petition or somethin we would have to have tens of thousands upon tens of thousands signing it, because they probably dont realize how many people would come to an NHL team if it were in GR. someone should seriously start something like that. i wouldnt know how though... if someone tells me i definatly would

I equate being a Lions fan similar to taking a knee to the crotch, after a while you just get used to it, and it doesnt hurt anymore.

Speaking of the Lions...

Anthrax Scare At Ford Field

Detroit Lion football practice was delayed nearly two hours today after a player reported finding an unknown white powdery substance on the practice field.

New coach Dick Jauron immediately suspended practice while police and federal investigators were called to investigate.

After a complete analysis, FBI forensic experts determined that the white substance unknown to the players was the goal line.

Practice was resumed after special agents decided the team was unlikely to encounter the substance again.

OMG... You know they are the cowardly lions. They obviously haven't been passing the goal line and must have forgotten IT EVEN EXISTS.

A petition would probably speak volumes to someone looking to expand. It shows that the community is commited or at the very least interested in the idea. We could go door to door with the question, "If Grand Rapids had a NHL team would you go and see it?" or whatever...blah.

Detroit Lion football practice was delayed nearly two hours today after a player reported finding an unknown white powdery substance on the practice field.

What is world coming to?? Because one idiot mailed anthrax now every white powdery substance raises suspicions of anthrax.

It was probably just some talc, it is a sports field after all.

We've become a society of wusses.

Nitro

Archived