Melrose Place Construction Update

smeagolsfree

Here is a bit more on Melrose Place that is under construction on 8th Avenue. For those of you that are not familiar with this area, it is just down the street from the antique district and the new condo development at 8th and Wedgewood. This is already a sort of trendy area and a lot of older homes are being renovated here. It is still within the 440 loop. A whole lot of potential here.

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar.../512130337/1044

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Looks like this project may have life being blown into the dead lungs of the rubble that remains at this location. An article from the Tennessean today.

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar...1/1197/COUNTY01

The development as a little problem -- a $1.4 million IRS tax lien. That's what stalled the project. If the writer had done a property records check, she'd of found it. I, however, did and wrote about it today. It took me awhile to get the story straight. The Tennessean story was only half of it.

I knew this one had been in trouble for a while. I had no idea what the problem was. It may be that some smart enterprising individuals can get this property at auction very cheap if it gets foreclosed on. With things happening in that area, it would be a waist to see that property sit vacant.

• 2 years later...

Went to the billiards bar the other night. Still looks like a big hole where the bowling alley was. Any updates on this thing? There is so much potential for this area. I love the old movie theater and all the old shops are begging for retail. This area could become really walkable and urban. Not sure about the bowling alley. Maybe some retail and residences? I'll have to go back and read the article. I forgot what they were going to do there.

Also, not sure if this is new or not.

Apartment building. Value: $3.6 million. Southland Constructors LLC took out a permit to build the 92-unit Gale Lofts apartment building at 811 Gale Lane.

Is this different or the same as this, the Core development?

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/Core-Dev...&hl=melrose

If it is different, any news on it?

edit: Just read the NBJ article and it looks as if it is related.

Friday, February 8, 2008

Core Development plans 81-home project in Breeze Hill

Nashville Business Journal - by Jenny Burns Nashville Business Journal

Core Development is planning to build 81 homes and townhomes behind the Kroger on Franklin Pike in Breeze Hill.

Gale Park developer Aaron White, president of Core, says he's been through a long planning process with the community to find out what residents wanted on the hilly land after six rezoning attempts were not approved.

The land has been rezoned for 58 cottage-style single family homes and 23 townhomes built around shared green space.

To ease the residential into the commercial area, the project will offer a mixed-use building with 30,000 square feet of retail space and some condos.

"This ties in well with all that's happening in the 12 South district," says White, who's meeting with nearby property owners and would like to see a master plan of tree-lined streets.

He says the project will offer a range of prices, with homes starting at $250,000 and townhomes starting at $150,000. Homes will start selling this summer.

Metro planners recommended the rezoning, saying the development fit in better with the community than a previous plan for a commercial development.

Planners said the development would provide a good transition between existing commercial uses on Franklin Pike and the residential neighborhood along Gale Lane, according to planning commission minutes.

Core Development has released its new West End Station in Sylvan Park development for sale. So far, 19 of the 23 homes released have been sold.

That development will include 36 single-family craftsman-style cottages and 10 townhomes at 36th and Nebraska avenues. The homes have large porches front and back, which allows for a walkable design with shared green space.

"It's a good place if you want to talk to your neighbors but not if you don't," White says.

Those homes start in the mid $200,000s and go up to the mid $300,000s.

[email protected], 615-846-4276

I am going to archive a few articles here. This area is prime location in Berry Hill, near 100 Oaks, Wedgewood, Belmont, Green Hills, Lipscomb, maybe even as far as Vanderbilt.

From August 2007.

8th Avenue South is quietly becoming Nashville’s next hot spot

By: By Amy Griffith, [email protected]

Most Nashvillians know Music City’s hottest growth pockets — The Gulch, downtown and midtown come to mind rapidly, as do Green Hills and 12South, among others.

But 8th Avenue South has quietly made its own strides, and may be poised for big changes.

“It could be an amazing corridor. It has a lot of potential,” said Aaron White, president of Core Development. “I think what people want is responsible development, well thought-out development.”

Watchers of the corridor are waiting to learn what will happen to the one-acre property formerly home to The Chute, a local iconic bar catering to Nashville’s gay community that recently closed after nearly 25 years in business.

The City Paper has learned that at least one group of investors is working to purchase the property, which is currently owned by Parks Investment of Nashville and valued at $839,800 by the Davidson County Tax Assessor. Located a few blocks south of Wedgewood Avenue and Douglas Corner, changes at the property could ripple out to affect much of the corridor.

Breeze Hill flux

Another property in flux is the area locally known as “Breeze Hill,” located behind the Kroger grocery store at 2625 Franklin. Zoned for many years as commercial shopping center space, the area was recently approved for rezoning by the Metro Planning Commission to accommodate a residential project proposed by White’s company, Core Development. The project would include 60 cottage-style, single-family homes surrounding shared courtyards, plus 30 town homes, White said.

The proposed rezoning is currently stalled in Metro Council and may remain so indefinitely, but development of Breeze Hill remains on the minds of residents of nearby neighborhoods, including Sunnyside and 12South.

Another big change for the corridor is the recent announcement of Vanderbilt University Medical Center’s leasing of 100 Oaks, which developer Bill Hostettler of Craighead Development LLC said is already affecting growth on Eighth Avenue.

VUMC has set an anticipated occupancy date of July 2008. More than 1,000 staff members are expected to work from 100 Oaks, and for the space to accommodate a patient flow of about 2,000 per day. Clinics to be moved to the facility include cardiology, breast center, obstetrics and gynecology, dermatology, bariatrics, an imaging and laboratory center, the pain clinic, neurodiagnostics, pharmacy, pediatrics, cytogenetics and rehabilitation.

“[The corridor] is more affordable than Green Hills, and just as conveniently located,” Hostettler said. “It’s just convenient to everything. And now, with Vanderbilt moving in, it’s going to get even better.”

Though Hostettler says there is plenty of room for growth in the area, residential developments have been booming in the area for the past few years and continue to do so. Hostettler’s company has completed 470 condos in the last six years within half a mile of the corridor, plus 43 units in nearby Berry Hill. He recently relocated his office to the area. And all the residences his company has built in the area have been sold before completion, Hostettler said, with the demographic primarily made up of young professionals.

“People are calling and wanting to buy things now,” Hostettler said.

• 1 year later...

http://www.bowlluckystrike.com

This is who will be locating there to get the Brentwood, Belmont, Vanderbilt, Forest Hills, clientele. Construction to start in 2011. They are like Dave and Busters. They are not going for the serious competitive bowler, they are geared toward the evening recreational under 40 crowd with lots of money to spend. Look for games to be $5.00 a game and drinks $10 and up. This is the yuppie urbanite with money type of crowd. Not a family place. More drinking than bowling.

You don't wear a tee-shirt and jeans in this place!

BR86

Where did you hear this? Sounds totally out of character for the neighborhood.

http://www.bowlluckystrike.com

This is who will be locating there to get the Brentwood, Belmont, Vanderbilt, Forest Hills, clientele. Construction to start in 2011. They are like Dave and Busters. They are not going for the serious competitive bowler, they are geared toward the evening recreational under 40 crowd with lots of money to spend. Look for games to be $5.00 a game and drinks $10 and up. This is the yuppie urbanite with money type of crowd. Not a family place. More drinking than bowling.

You don't wear a tee-shirt and jeans in this place!

BR86

I don't think it is out of character at all, especially with all the new urbanism going on in the area along with two major universities a couple of miles away and a large per capital income in the general vicinity. I am very involved in the bowling community and this has been discussed at length. It has also been in the local print media. Melrose Lanes and Bar was there since the 1930's up until 2005 and The Sutler Lounge and Bar was there from 1975-2005. The pool hall there was an art deco classic. That part of Franklin Road was very vibrant in the 1970's through the 1990's.

BR86

Couldn't find anything online about it but sounds like you know what you're talking about :)

I suppose I'm not a yuppie urbanite myself - I just sit out there at the bus stop in front of it on a regular basis. Mostly I see Family Dollar, pawn shops, and gold to cash places in that area. Hey, but anything to improve the area and get that building back in shape. (I wouldn't mind bowling too, but I like t-shirts and jeans :P .) I hope they bring a coffee shop along with 'em.

Lucky Strike would be a very welcome addition to Nashville for sure. Although I really miss Dave & Buster's!

Anyway.. the Melrose area does seem a bit of an odd place for it. But maybe it would lead to improvements in other nearby retailers?

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Maybe this time. I wish they'd put a bowling alley somewhere there though! Bring back the movie theater too!!

The Melrose shopping center to be redeveloped with apartments and retail

Plans are under way to develop apartments and retail at The Melrose shopping center in Berry Hill, according to its city manager and developers.

Roughly 214 apartments are proposed for the old Melrose bowling alley on the south end of the shopping center in two multi-story buildings, said Berry Hill City Manager Joe Baker.

The north end of the shopping center is where the former movie theater was with retail in the middle.

Fulcher Investment Properties and Parkes Development Group LLC., are working together on the project.

New restaurants, retail and about 5,000-square-feet of office space are also planned, said Rhonda Thomas of Parkes Development said.

Zoning and a concept plan have been approved by Berry Hill, Baker said.

A timetable on work starting and finishing wasn’t immediately known, Thomas said.

Isn't this old news? Is the Tennessean recycling again? Either way, apartments would be good for the area. There are already lots of condos/townhouses going in nearby, particularly down a Gale Lane south of the Kroger, but adding even more residential directly onto Franklin Road would be good. Plus, maybe that would help to spur something that the street desperately needs: adequate sidewalks and especially crosswalks!

The 10ecun is good at recycling old news .

Thats why they are a POC paper. Their ad rates are way to high as well. Hardly anything in there and now they are wanting to charge for content that hardly anyone reads anyway. That is the last place I check for news anymore.

I am going to be nice and not tell you what I really think. You could not print it.

• 2 months later...

Archived