What's Tally missing?

poonther

Tallahassee is Missing a Track, A drag strip, a road course.

Motorsports complex would get heavy use, regional draw. Taurean, maybe u could get the word about about opening up seminole raceway which was an old dragstrip, that got shut down... people have been trying so hard..... to reopen it, cause the closest track is valdosta.

These 2 local car forums support and really will use the new track

Tallyimports.com

Tallahasseemusclecar.com

PLease help get the word out since u work up there taurean :)

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A regular citizen has a much easier chance of being heard than myself. Sure I can speak as a regular citizen at a city commission meeting with my boss's (Mr. English's) approval. And even speaking as a citizen I have to be very calculated in what I say. Maybe you should speak to the commission about how important it is for you to see that Drag Strip Re-Opened... you know we also have a thread on this

Seminole Raceway, Rebirth vs Nimby

There we can continue any discussion on the posibility of bringing drag racing back to the capital city. I'm all for it.

I think this would be something the county commission would concern not the city commission. So I might actually be at liberty to speak as I wish on this issue to the county commission.

thats not really funny at all. because countless people have been killed street racing.

Not to mention if you are caught street racing, they impound your car, throw you in jail and fine you.

Its not worth it, thats why we need a damn track

thats not really funny at all. because countless people have been killed street racing.

Not to mention if you are caught street racing, they impound your car, throw you in jail and fine you.

Its not worth it, thats why we need a damn track

Geez, can ya take a frickin joke?!

I don't even have a car. When I do drive, I drive responsibly. I think street racers should be heavily punished. Speed kills. I see dumbass speeders all the time here on campus, some have almost hit me crossing the street.

Lighten up :D

Geez, can ya take a frickin joke?!

I don't even have a car. When I do drive, I drive responsibly. I think street racers should be heavily punished. Speed kills. I see dumbass speeders all the time here on campus, some have almost hit me crossing the street.

Lighten up :D

:rofl: Ironically the Seminole Race Track is located off of Pensacola Street.

What is Tally Missing?

With all this talk of racing...

I have thought for some time that Tallahassee could very easily sponsor a serious 15-20k or even a marathon, in the late autumn or winter months when it is too cold and wet to race in northern cities. Tallahassee is laid out beautifully for a scenic run up and back the canopy roads, through downtown, around the FSU and FAMU campuses. Such an event would bring athletes and casual (but dedicated) runners into town from all over the country. With a little initiative from CoT (national sports network marketing, gear, prizes and/or cash prizes) I think our "mid-sized" marathon could become a must for circuit runners. Tallahassee is already renowed for its athletics, it is up to the city to expand the forum out from the University.

CoT might also sponsor a "Tour de Tallahassee" bicycle race - two or three days of serious riding in town, down to St. Marks, up to Thomasville, out to Havana. Again, with the right course and a bit of creative marketing I am sure that we could attract racers from far away to pedel for prizes in beautiful Tallahassee. Our hills would keep the race competitive. The live oaks and canopies would keep it cool.

beat u to da punch tallahassee already has the tallahassee marathon and half marathon.

Well, that shows how well I'm keeping up with things. 32 years of Marathon and Half-Marathon and counting...

2006 Marathon Information: The 32nd edition of the race will be on President's Day weekend Sunday, February 19, 2006. The course is flat and fast. We are trying to re-route one mile of the course due to heavy traffic, but other than that, the course will remain the same as in 2005. We are hoping to add one water stop if we get enough volunteers. The race will not be GWTC grand prix event this year.

We are proud to announce our new web address: http://www.tallahasseemarathon.com.

My apologies everyone!

• 1 year later...

Hey the above chat got me to thinking, so I'm bringin' this puppy back from the dead pile. What are restaurants/retail stores they have in other metros our size and in our region (FL or the SE USA) that we do not?

Here's what I've got so far:

IHOP

Denny's

Krystal

O'Charley's

McAlister's Deli

Kohl's (about to fix that one)

Bojangles (one in Orange Park and bldg. one in Dothan, AL)

Linen n Things

Others? Just remember to make sure there are other stores in our region and in our size metro.......so leave off the P.F. Chang's and Cheesecake Factories por favor. :)

Hey the above chat got me to thinking, so I'm bringin' this puppy back from the dead pile. What are restaurants/retail stores they have in other metros our size and in our region (FL or the SE USA) that we do not?

Here's what I've got so far:

IHOP

Denny's

Krystal

O'Charley's

McAlister's Deli

Kohl's (about to fix that one)

Bojangles (one in Orange Park and bldg. one in Dothan, AL)

Linen n Things

Others? Just remember to make sure there are other stores in our region and in our size metro.......so leave off the P.F. Chang's and Cheesecake Factories por favor. :)

Being a simple man, I'd settle for bringing back Denny's and Dunkin' Donuts, adding a Dick's Sporting Goods, and perhaps a second Atlanta Bread Company or Panera along North Monroe. One thing that would work here is a real ice rink, not a plastic sheet put in the middle of Kleman Plaza for a couple of weeks at Christmas. Maybe then, Tallahassee can bring back minor league hockey and the FSU club team won't have to shlep itself to Orlando for games.

My list isn't necessarily stores I'm dying to see in Tally, just chains I notice aren't here. Definitely add Dunkin Donuts to the list and Dick's isn't that big in FL (only 3 stores: 2 in Jax 1 in Melbourne) but they are definitely in markets our size in other parts of the south.

At one time I thought ABC wanted to move into the Old Winn Dixie on Timberlane for a second store. Did that deal fall through?

I'm all for a real ice rink. Did anyone here go to the plastic one at Kleman? If so how was it?

Not much difference in what I can tell between BB&B and LnT, TJ, but many cities our size have both. It's about the same thing as having Winn-Dixie and Publix, Wal-mart and Target or Marshall's and TJ Maxx just to name a few.

SPC, I never remember an O'Charley's in town, but I could be wrong.

TJ, here's the link to Bojangles. It's a chicken and biscuit southern type of place w/HQ in Charlotte I believe.

My list isn't necessarily stores I'm dying to see in Tally, just chains I notice aren't here. Definitely add Dunkin Donuts to the list and Dick's isn't that big in FL (only 3 stores: 2 in Jax 1 in Melbourne) but they are definitely in markets our size in other parts of the south.

At one time I thought ABC wanted to move into the Old Winn Dixie on Timberlane for a second store. Did that deal fall through?

I'm all for a real ice rink. Did anyone here go to the plastic one at Kleman? If so how was it?

Not much difference in what I can tell between BB&B and LnT, TJ, but many cities our size have both. It's about the same thing as having Winn-Dixie and Publix, Wal-mart and Target or Marshall's and TJ Maxx just to name a few.

SPC, I never remember an O'Charley's in town, but I could be wrong.

TJ, here's the link to Bojangles. It's a chicken and biscuit southern type of place w/HQ in Charlotte I believe.

Coming from South Carolina, Bojangles was the deal! Their Bo'Berry biscuits are the stuff of legend.

Why not have a Linen N Things? We have more than one type of grocery store (Winn Dixie vs. Publix) and more than one type of major discount retailer (Target vs. Wal-mart). So why not have a Linens N Things vs Bed Bath and Beyond?

Also in my small hometown city of Sumter, SC we got a Steve & Barry's which is like an Old Navy but tends to skew more towards sports apparel. I would think it would do wonderfully here in Tally especially close to FSU.

In a strip mall or regional shopping center like the one where BB&B is now, sure LnT would be considered an anchor.

Thanks for the reminder about Steve and Barry's AiT! We definitely need one of those. Where else can you get "knock-about" clothes for so cheap: Ten dollar jeans, twelve dollar chinos, seven dollar thick long sleeve pull-over shirts? Thank goodness for China. <ahttp://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/uploads/emoticons/default_smile.png' alt=':)'> In a college town like ours, this place would make a killing. Here's the link: Steve and Barry's.

In a strip mall or regional shopping center like the one where BB&B is now, sure LnT would be considered an anchor.

Thanks for the reminder about Steve and Barry's AiT! We definitely need one of those. Where else can you get "knock-about" clothes for so cheap: Ten dollar jeans, twelve dollar chinos, seven dollar thick long sleeve pull-over shirts? Thank goodness for China. <ahttp://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/uploads/emoticons/default_smile.png' alt=':)'> In a college town like ours, this place would make a killing. Here's the link: Steve and Barry's.

• 2 weeks later...

i see a lot of suggestions concerning shopping and dining, but how about the missing entertainment options in town? if pensacola can have a minor league baseball team tallahassee should be able to have one also. i hope the titans succeed on the field and they open up the door to additional sports teams. :)

Archived