What's Tally missing?

poonther

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A think the real issue are the voters. We as a community have finally initiated enough change on the city commission board to allow some progress but why do most voters continue to vote for the same losers who sit on the county board. Sure there are some new members on the board but is there enough of a change to bring about progress and economic prosperity. Nothing is a "given" when dealing with some of the lame voters in this town. And those who complain about how stagnant Tallahassee is but don't even bother to vote are just a worse. The whole thing just infuriates me!!

At least we can all rest easy knowing that the downtown areas we talk about so much on these boards are well-represented by an energetic District 1 County Commissioner with vision, imagination, development knowledge and business/economic savvy......ooops, wrong guy, my bad.

"But the last few commisioners and our current commisioners who sit on the seat, seems to be breaking some ground. "

More like they want to pretend there is progress. The Air Conditioning company is nice, but nothing to crow about. A/C business are not exactly, banking, high tech, or research.

Some of the folks on this board have given local govt a pass when they AGAIN failed to win business to Tally. During the Torrey Pines deal, many bent over backwards to excuse the refusal of our local govt to join forces with FSU (who offered $40 Million in incentives) and offer some incentives (not even a lot....just an average amount), but they refused and even copped an attitude with Torrey Pines according to the rumor.

There is ALWAYS some excuse for the failure and always some speech about..."we will know how to do it next time....we just have to spend more tax payer money to get there". Bottom line, local govt does not know how to succeed attracting business, and have even expressed an arrogance (Sony, Torrey Pines, etc) with it.

• 1 month later...

Personally speaking with all the overly complicated and overly expensive processes of permitting, environmental studies, etc. that all new businesses have to undergo to start up in Tallahassee, it's no wonder why in the time I've lived here, T'town has lost dozens of major businesses that could have boosted the economy. Plus the ridiculous residential building regulations that were in effect in the county made it hard for expansion (is it still a minimum of 5 acres per home?). There are people in power in this city (and I use the term loosely because Tallahassee is more of a small town with a growth hormone imbalance) who are so scared of growth that they do all they can to stunt it.

I don't have a problem w/a lot of permitting etc. for a community like ours to preserve what is good and to have quality growth.

That said, for our extensive permitting process, some of the things that pop up around town are NOT quality. Example : B&B Sporting Goods in a metal warehouse on a major road.

Also if you are gonna require a lot of extra steps for quality, then you need to be able to expedite those extra permits. Back in my days of working w/the City of Boca Raton, we required permits etc. that would make Tally's look simple. However we were able to spit out permits much faster than Tally.

Extra steps for quality is great, taking a lifetime to approve those permits, hurts the community.

I wish Tallahassee was missing about two hours worth of driving along I-10 towards Pensacola and Jacksonville so it would be a muc easier drive to venues that had decent concerts, interesting shops, ethnic restaurants that Tallahassee doesn't have.

Also I wish Tallahassee didn't have as much pollen each spring (although allergy medicine manufacturers probably LOVE it).

I wish Tallahassee had more affordable airline ticket prices so even lower middle class folks like me might be able to fly out to see another part of the country.

Funny, I don't feel a need to be any closer to Pensacola...New Orleans sure.

It's also funny how perspective works. This past weekend I was visiting my parents and read the Panama City newspaper and a letter to the editor was complaining about how much it cost to fly out of PC and how driving over to Tally (yes I said Tally) was much cheaper for flights.

Here's what Tallahassee needs the most! :yahoo:

PICT0738.JPG

But seriously folks...

A&W/Long John Silver's combo location

Denny's

Dunkin' Donuts

Fazoli's (what happened to our Fazoli's?!)

IHOP

Krystal

Piccadilly

Ryan's

Western Sizzlin

7-Eleven

Cabela's

Dockside Imports

Goodings

I like your list. Many of the basics that many of us have overlooked are on it. Sad how you don't miss the water until the well runs dry... speaking of Denny's, Long John Silvers, Dunkin, Fazoli's, IHOP, Krystal, Piccadilly, Ryan's, Western Sizzlin -- which were all establishments that went under in the recent years. IHOP maybe a bit further in the past.

I like the Race Track idea. I've given up hope on the Seminole Raceway. Do you think the current fairgrounds would be the best location for one? In my opinion, the idea of a race track is good, but it would probably go better somewhere off of Capital Circle, perhaps near the Flea Market. I've always felt DeVoe's property would make a good race track, where he's now planning to put the Pennacle Mall at Cross Creek.

I like your list. Many of the basics that many of us have overlooked are on it. Sad how you don't miss the water until the well runs dry... speaking of Denny's, Long John Silvers, Dunkin, Fazoli's, IHOP, Krystal, Piccadilly, Ryan's, Western Sizzlin -- which were all establishments that went under in the recent years. IHOP maybe a bit further in the past.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Tallahassee is missing a few things IMHO!

***1. Flights to more major cities - TLH needs flights to and from additional cities - e.g. Washington, New York, Chicago, Dallas.

2. More upscale shopping options - In electronics, TLH has very poor chain stores and no upscale outlets. The population can support such stores. I am sure it is the same with other products .

3. Diversified industry - There must be more than state government and the universities. We need many more spinoffs and an influx of good large industry.

4. Good development - Tallahassee needs to find the perfect balance between growth and preservation of the environment/quality of life. I am personally in favor of growth.

5. Better connecting roads into and across Tallahassee - It takes far too long to travel anywhere.

Thanks

BTW - I would vote to move Tallahassee closer to other cities! ;-)

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

josefk I was in the car w/the parental units this weekend and we drove by the new Pier Park in Panama City Beach and guess what they've got there now??? JOS A. BANK. I mean how big is the suit market in a beach town surround by jobs in the military as opposed to a State Capital twice its size? :) If I owned a local shopping center or managed one of the local malls with all the vacant stores, I'd be on the phone NOW trying to work a deal w/these folks.

They now have stores in P'cola, Destin, PC, Jax G'ville, Ocala and Valdosta :wacko:

Archived