What's Tally missing?

poonther

well, that would be the second good thing about an ice Rink. It would make it easier to attract a minor league team, since they would not be at the whim of FSU and the Civic Center in scheduling practice time. Another thing I'd like to see is a smallish ampitheater (6-8000 seats) or a waterpark closer than Wild Adventures.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
well, that would be the second good thing about an ice Rink. It would make it easier to attract a minor league team, since they would not be at the whim of FSU and the Civic Center in scheduling practice time. Another thing I'd like to see is a smallish ampitheater (6-8000 seats) or a waterpark closer than Wild Adventures.

smallish ampitheatre (6000-8000 seats!) That sounds huge to me. But I don' t know much about these things. Fortunately one is on the way as part of the Cascades Park Project.

I've always said we need a waterpark here, so I agree with you on that one.

I sure hope everyone here plans to attend a Titans game this season. First home game is Feb 17th.

in orlando they have a big entertainment-type place called Boardwalk Bowl. it's a huge bowling alley (80 lanes) that was built a couple of years ago which includes a pool hall with a bar, a decent-sized arcade, a snack bar with plenty of food/beverage options and i think they have plans for an outdoor mini-golf course on property (if one hasn't been built already, it's been awhile since i've been).

i think tally desperately needs an updated "family attraction"-type venue. these poor high-schoolers seem to have no choice on friday nights but to clog the entrance of the AMC theatres at the Tallahassee Mall. and ppl aren't exactly racing to get to Funstation either (half their machines never even work anyway). i occasionally pass by the old Albertson's at Blairstone/Apalachee and think that the vacant bldg there could be turned into something like this. East/Central/South Tally could def use something like this over on the parkway as an alt. form of entertainment or an updated bowling alley/mini-golf course. i also think it would that would be a good location for a concept like this b/c of its close proximity with Gov. Sq. Mall (right next-door actually). maybe we don't need all 80 lanes, but...just a thought to play around with.

http://www.boardwalkorlando.com/boardwalkBowl.html <---------- go there for a visual

What's Tally missing? Be glad we are missing some of these! or Maybe we could have this kind of comfort for the new Down town Convention center and Hotel.

Japan Hotel

Meh..... didnt know were to stick something like this but thought it was a neat article and wanted to share it. So I can up with a good excuse.

• 2 months later...

I am on a roll with post today...

I was just browsing the forums, and it got me to thinking...What would you like to see Tallahassee get more then anything else? I have a few things that come to mind, but I am sure there are tons of things our city needs that we don't have. Let's hear what you all have to say.

Personally, I would like to see a new shopping mall. Gov. Square is decent, and Tallahassee Mall isn't bad, but I would love to see a new modern shopping mall come to Tallahassee. Or some sort of downtown devolpment that is more then just new condo's and gov. Our downtown is very nice, just wish we had a little more down here, maybe a few more resturants or some entertainment. Just a thought.

I am on a roll with post today...

I was just browsing the forums, and it got me to thinking...What would you like to see Tallahassee get more then anything else? I have a few things that come to mind, but I am sure there are tons of things our city needs that we don't have. Let's hear what you all have to say.

Personally, I would like to see a new shopping mall. Gov. Square is decent, and Tallahassee Mall isn't bad, but I would love to see a new modern shopping mall come to Tallahassee. Or some sort of downtown devolpment that is more then just new condo's and gov. Our downtown is very nice, just wish we had a little more down here, maybe a few more resturants or some entertainment. Just a thought.

Good-paying jobs-Tallahassee has the intellectual capital, but not the good-paying jobs to balance it out; we have some private employers but the city can land the big dogs (Fortune 500 companies). Once we can land some Fortune 500 companies (we hit a grand slam by getting Turbocor to come here), then brain drain will no longer be an issue.

Megamall-Tallahassee Mall is on life-support. I will go as far as saying had it not been for AMC Theaters, Tallahassee Mall would be featured on www.deadmalls.com. Governor's Square is ok. Better yet, Tallahassee and Governor's Square could merge into one mall, provided there would be enough acreage to do so and then add another 100-150 stores, the location wouldn't change. (eliminate Tallahassee Mall's Dillards for it's pointless in having two duplicate dept. stores in one mall). What would become of the Tallahassee Mall property is up for grabs. Whoever can come up with a quality proposal for the best use of the Tallahassee Mall property would win the property.

Pro Sports team-Self-Explanatory. It can be NBA, NHL, NFL or MLB. Doesn't matter. The only way this could ever happen is if the Titans can generate ample support to warrant a major sports franchise. Eventually Tallahassee can land a pro team but the Titans are a test to see if we can support them just the same as FSU football.

A theme park would most definitely rock.

Megamall-Tallahassee Mall is on life-support. I will go as far as saying had it not been for AMC Theaters, Tallahassee Mall would be featured on www.deadmalls.com. Governor's Square is ok. Better yet, Tallahassee and Governor's Square could merge into one mall, provided there would be enough acreage to do so and then add another 100-150 stores, the location wouldn't change. (eliminate Tallahassee Mall's Dillards for it's pointless in having two duplicate dept. stores in one mall). What would become of the Tallahassee Mall property is up for grabs. Whoever can come up with a quality proposal for the best use of the Tallahassee Mall property would win the property.

A theme park would most definitely rock.

I do agree that this area was overmalled to begin with, since a county of 270,000 people (and less than 150,000 when the two malls were built) should not have two million square foot regional shopping malls in it.

As far as stuff to have here, my constant mantra of an ice rink and/or a 5000 seat arena for concerts, the Titans, and a Hockey Team is still valid.

:shades: This is what I think. Until we establish Downtown Tally, drawing in more residents, businesses ( nightclubs, arcades, restaurants, hotels, etc) we will never get things such at basketball teams, theme parks, etc. Even though we are the capital city of Florida doesn't mean we should just base everything off politics. I believe right now that's all Downtown Tally is for. Downtown is where the power is at!! It's to many commuters in our downtown. I'll say close the Govenor Square Mall, because it's to close to DT Tallahassee. Then after we close that mall put stores downtown. That could possibly create some denisty because we of course want to save land. It will also more likely make people who commute from like Killearn, Southwood, Crawfordville, want to shop DT tallahassee. Perhaps make these commuters want to live DT. That in return will allow more business and nightlife to come. Then soon after that, you will see big corporations knocking on at the door saying" you have 2 univeristies, you are the capital city of florida, you have healthy economic growth, blah blah blah, we would like to move here and do business! Then ba da bing, ba da boom! We will start getting big cooperations such as Suntrust, Verizon, a real Bank of America, Sony, etc. Create some competition here, and then we are set. All the other things such as water parks, NBA teams, NFL hockey, would be sure to jump on the bandwagon. And the 1 mall that would be left(Tallahassee Mall) could be drastically upgraded, then later in time when Downtown is established we can create more malls. I believe in building up and then out. Good thing about T-town is that we are taking the steps to help establish Downtown even though it's not exactly as my plan, but the bad news is we have a long ways to go.

Another thing I think Tallahassee is missing is a.......................major river that flows through the city or an ocean that sits just off the city. Look at cities like Miami, Jax, New York, LA, Hong Kong, Tokyo, Pittsburgh. Pretty self-explanatory.

:dunno: ^I ain't God, I was simply stating what we were missing. I mean we can do well without water, Las Vegas is a good example of a city that doesn't have the water feature. But If you look through out history you see that great civilizations grew up around water.

:shades: This is what I think. Until we establish Downtown Tally, drawing in more residents, businesses ( nightclubs, arcades, restaurants, hotels, etc) we will never get things such at basketball teams, theme parks, etc. Even though we are the capital city of Florida doesn't mean we should just base everything off politics. I believe right now that's all Downtown Tally is for. Downtown is where the power is at!! It's to many commuters in our downtown. I'll say close the Govenor Square Mall, because it's to close to DT Tallahassee. Then after we close that mall put stores downtown. That could possibly create some denisty because we of course want to save land. It will also more likely make people who commute from like Killearn, Southwood, Crawfordville, want to shop DT tallahassee. Perhaps make these commuters want to live DT. That in return will allow more business and nightlife to come. Then soon after that, you will see big corporations knocking on at the door saying" you have 2 univeristies, you are the capital city of florida, you have healthy economic growth, blah blah blah, we would like to move here and do business! Then ba da bing, ba da boom! We will start getting big cooperations such as Suntrust, Verizon, a real Bank of America, Sony, etc. Create some competition here, and then we are set. All the other things such as water parks, NBA teams, NFL hockey, would be sure to jump on the bandwagon. And the 1 mall that would be left(Tallahassee Mall) could be drastically upgraded, then later in time when Downtown is established we can create more malls. I believe in building up and then out. Good thing about T-town is that we are taking the steps to help establish Downtown even though it's not exactly as my plan, but the bad news is we have a long ways to go.

Another thing I think Tallahassee is missing is a.......................major river that flows through the city or an ocean that sits just off the city. Look at cities like Miami, Jax, New York, LA, Hong Kong, Tokyo, Pittsburgh. Pretty self-explanatory.

^ They don't Mr. Poonther. I remember TJ telling me that Sony offered to do business here, but of course we turned it down. I don't know what kind of crack rock the commisioners were smoking that day, but if we had Sony think of where this town could be! We would probaly be 5 years ahead of ourselves. But the last few commisioners and our current commisioners who sit on the seat, seems to be breaking some ground.

Archived