Park West

RemusCal

I bet the trail will connect to the east along Van Ash where it goes under 540. Just a guess.

The school system purchased a several acres of land just a stones throw to the west of Park West. The development was to be a subdivision called Laureat Fields with typical homes and a park.

I heard the park got moved to Park West when the school purchased the subdivision.

Do you guys think it will really look like the drawings or will it turn out like Joyce street? I had to cross Joyce on foot a while back and found it nearly impossible.

Thanks for the welcomes. I am not very familure with these forums so please be patient if I do something stupid!

I bet the trail will connect to the east along Van Ash where it goes under 540. Just a guess.

The school system purchased a several acres of land just a stones throw to the west of Park West. The development was to be a subdivision called Laureat Fields with typical homes and a park.

I heard the park got moved to Park West when the school purchased the subdivision.

Do you guys think it will really look like the drawings or will it turn out like Joyce street? I had to cross Joyce on foot a while back and found it nearly impossible.

Thanks for the welcomes. I am not very familure with these forums so please be patient if I do something stupid!

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does anyone know of another truly pedestrian new urbanist type project in Fayetteville or the NWA area.

I know Lowell Developers announced a 100 Acre Pedestrian Lifestyle Mix Project out by I-540 and 71-B. Then there's the Shopps at Pinnacle Hills which is 350,000 sq ft. of a Pedestrian friendly scenary.

I still thnk that if they do build a new high school in NW Fayetteville, they will also have to build one somewhere in East Fayetteville. I have heard that the schoold board owns some pretty good amounts of land in the East. It would not make much since to only have one high school in one corner of town. Especially with 5 more years of growth. The current school district goes all the way to the Madison county line, east of Goshen. That is going to be quite a drive for the parents and students living out there.

I do see why Springdale was the first city to get two highs. None of Springdale's suburbs (such as Tontitown, Elm Springs, Lowell, etc.) have a school system, so they are all in the S-Dale district. Compared to Fayetteville's 'burbs like Elkins, Greenland, and Farmington who each have their own district.

Park west looks like somewhere I would like to live, just because it is so convienently located and I really do like the principles of New Urbanism...

I know Lowell Developers announced a 100 Acre Pedestrian Lifestyle Mix Project out by I-540 and 71-B. Then there's the Shopps at Pinnacle Hills which is 350,000 sq ft. of a Pedestrian friendly scenary.

Are these truly places to live or are they just shops that are close to each other. You could say that a strip mall is pedestrian friendly.

Are these truly places to live or are they just shops that are close to each other. You could say that a strip mall is pedestrian friendly.

One question, do you live in NWA?

I think everyone agrees that the Shopps at Pinnacle Hills is Pedestrian friendly, and about as urban as it gets in Benton County. The Shopps is going to consist of stores and restaurants not found anywhere in Arkansas, and will be the most upscale location in NWA.

The project in Lowell is going to be on the same calliber as well.

Yes, I live in NWA. I moved here to attend UofA and like it enough to stay.

I need to look at the development "The shops at Pinnacle Hills". I thought it was upscale shopping and exspensive office, but I did not realize that it had residential.

I like the plan for Park West because it has such a wide range of housing types. Nice single family homes, courtyard zero lot homes, attached townhomes, appartments, condos, artist lofts and a nice condo tower or two.

HarBer Meadows tried to offer some housing choices, but did not seem to get the commercial stuff in till much later. It also still segregates itself into zones. Live here, but shop and eat there.

I also like the idea from Park West (we'll see if it actually happens this way) of living above potential work places.

I have been to that Market grocery store up at Pinnacle and found it to be too exspensive to frequent. I would say the same for many of the upscale things around. Park West seems to be for us common folks.

I need to look at the development "The shops at Pinnacle Hills". I thought it was upscale shopping and exspensive office, but I did not realize that it had residential.

I like the plan for Park West because it has such a wide range of housing types. Nice single family homes, courtyard zero lot homes, attached townhomes, appartments, condos, artist lofts and a nice condo tower or two.

HarBer Meadows tried to offer some housing choices, but did not seem to get the commercial stuff in till much later. It also still segregates itself into zones. Live here, but shop and eat there.

I also like the idea from Park West (we'll see if it actually happens this way) of living above potential work places.

I have been to that Market grocery store up at Pinnacle and found it to be too exspensive to frequent. I would say the same for many of the upscale things around. Park West seems to be for us common folks.

Well you won't have to worry about the Market at Pinnacle anymore, it closed after it overextended itself. I wouldn't want everything to be upscale but it's a nice addition to what's been available to the area.

I'm not sure if this link has been posted on the Park Central development in Lowell/Rogers (I've seen it referred to several times), but here it is:

http://www.parkcentralnwa.com/

It's mixed use, fronting mostly along 71B (near Pleasant Grove intersection). It looks like it's being pitched as ped friendly-- it's definitely interesting looking, and might turn out quite nice.

I was under the impression that you weren't from this area. My apologies.

The Shopps is planning on putting upscale condos in the towers, to complete the whole mixed use look.

Unfortunately, the Market closed about 8 months ago due to financial problems at other stores. They are instead going to open a New York Deli and Bakery in the same spot called "Eat This".

Have no fear. It may seem a bit overwhelming and even discouraging that most if not all the developments in NWA are "upscale" but analysts have predicted that within a couple years time the demand for "upscale" will diminish and developers will then respond to the demand for middle and low income opportunities.

BTW... welcome to the forum. :)

I recently read an interesting article in City & County Magazine pointing out potential downsides to the recent upscale condo boom in metro areas across the country:

http://americancityandcounty.com/mag/gover..._upscale_condo/

I'm far from an expert on the subject, but it seems to me the author is stretching it a bit saying cities are worried that upscale condos are pushing out "low-income apartments and rundown hotels" in downtown areas. I didn't read the referenced Harvard 2005 Housing report though...

I recently read an interesting article in City & County Magazine pointing out potential downsides to the recent upscale condo boom in metro areas across the country:

http://americancityandcounty.com/mag/gover..._upscale_condo/

I'm far from an expert on the subject, but it seems to me the author is stretching it a bit saying cities are worried that upscale condos are pushing out "low-income apartments and rundown hotels" in downtown areas. I didn't read the referenced Harvard 2005 Housing report though...

Interesting article. But I wonder if we might eventually see cities here in the US change to the way many other cities around the world are. The richer people live in the city center and the poorer live on the outskirts. I'm still a big fan of condos but I can see there being some problems with the movement as well. I just like the fact of building the city up instead of outward.

That Park Central thing does not look new urban at all. I looks like a typical development with homes behind. No real interaction between the two. No gradual mixing of uses. It still has its individual zones with no overlapping that is present with an old fashion community. I am sure whoever the developer is will make a lot of money, but it does not look like a real pedestrian community.

I have not found a link to projects like the Shopps, Pinnicle, the big subdivision south of Park West (I can't remember the name, but I know its the same guys who did pinnicle). Could someone put me in touch with links or something?

That Park Central thing does not look new urban at all. I looks like a typical development with homes behind. No real interaction between the two. No gradual mixing of uses. It still has its individual zones with no overlapping that is present with an old fashion community. I am sure whoever the developer is will make a lot of money, but it does not look like a real pedestrian community.

I have not found a link to projects like the Shopps, Pinnicle, the big subdivision south of Park West (I can't remember the name, but I know its the same guys who did pinnicle). Could someone put me in touch with links or something?

It's hard to find good links around here. Seems like most developers in this area really haven't utilized them very much yet. You occasionally find one but it's not too common yet. Matt might be able to provide you a link to a couple of the Benton County developments. I haven't seen one for that subdivision south of Park West yet.

The Park Central development is entirely different from the Lowell project I'm thinking of. The 120 Acre Mixed Use Urban Development is more towards Arkansas 264 south of Pleasant Grove Road. There's no link for that Project.

Here's a link to Pinnacle's Main website, but it's not updated very often.

Pinnacle

Pinnacle Hills Development (including Shoppes): http://www.pinnaclehills.com/pinnaclehillsmain.htm

Haynes Ltd has a website, but they don't have detailed information about Springwoods, the development south of Park West.

I've said this before but I hope the developers in this area start utilizing the internet more for future developments. I thought the one for the Legacy Building was very nice. Now if we can get more like that or preferably for every major development. There's not even a sign over by the Nelson's Crossing development site. I'd like to at least be able to take a pic and show what it will look like since I can't find any renderings on the interset so far.

The Park Central development is entirely different from the Lowell project I'm thinking of. The 120 Acre Mixed Use Urban Development is more towards Arkansas 264 south of Pleasant Grove Road. There's no link for that Project.

Are you refering to the proposed project on 264 west of I-540? I saw an article from Nov outlining very tentative plans for developing property near there by one of the 'mythical' light rail stations from the Beta-Rubicon study (I'm not at my desk and I don't have a copy in front of me, so I'm not exactly sure where). However, that's a fantastic location, and in the near future after Rogers I-540 frontage gets close to build out and the 412 bypass gets constructed, the 264 interchange in Lowell would be primed for big-time developments. Oh, and they'll need that gigantic 60" water transmission line the water district is planning through Lowell too.

Are you refering to the proposed project on 264 west of I-540? I saw an article from Nov outlining very tentative plans for developing property near there by one of the 'mythical' light rail stations from the Beta-Rubicon study (I'm not at my desk and I don't have a copy in front of me, so I'm not exactly sure where). However, that's a fantastic location, and in the near future after Rogers I-540 frontage gets close to build out and the 412 bypass gets constructed, the 264 interchange in Lowell would be primed for big-time developments. Oh, and they'll need that gigantic 60" water transmission line the water district is planning through Lowell too.

Yeah, that's the project I'm talking about. I think they are banking on getting the Light Rail, but I think it's going to be hard to compete with Pinnacle and South Rogers.

Interesting article. But I wonder if we might eventually see cities here in the US change to the way many other cities around the world are. The richer people live in the city center and the poorer live on the outskirts. I'm still a big fan of condos but I can see there being some problems with the movement as well. I just like the fact of building the city up instead of outward.

By moving the poorer or low-income residents to the outskirts of town you also have to move the Unemployment offices, Dept of Health offices and clinics, hospitals, and discount grocers and dollar stores to the outskirts as well. Unless the city invests in a major public transportation system. Of course the downtown can have a wall erected with gun turrets here and there and the poor can just do whatever to survive outside the city walls.

By moving the poorer or low-income residents to the outskirts of town you also have to move the Unemployment offices, Dept of Health offices and clinics, hospitals, and discount grocers and dollar stores to the outskirts as well. Unless the city invests in a major public transportation system. Of course the downtown can have a wall erected with gun turrets here and there and the poor can just do whatever to survive outside the city walls.

:lol: I didn't say that it should be that way. But in a lot of countries the rich live in the center of the city. I think now there's a reaction to those years of urban planning in the 60's and 70's. I think in some ways that might be also helping fuel the condo craze in some areas of the country. Doesn't really apply here though.

Archived