Park West

RemusCal

That Park Central thing does not look new urban at all. I looks like a typical development with homes behind. No real interaction between the two. No gradual mixing of uses. It still has its individual zones with no overlapping that is present with an old fashion community. I am sure whoever the developer is will make a lot of money, but it does not look like a real pedestrian community.

I have not found a link to projects like the Shopps, Pinnicle, the big subdivision south of Park West (I can't remember the name, but I know its the same guys who did pinnicle). Could someone put me in touch with links or something?

I agree, Park Central looks pretty typical of everything else going up around here. From what I have seen of the Park West plans, the commercial sections are more integrated with the residential areas. I'm sure the developer (Paradigm Development) will have more information on their website soon.

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree, Park Central looks pretty typical of everything else going up around here. From what I have seen of the Park West plans, the commercial sections are more integrated with the residential areas. I'm sure the developer (Paradigm Development) will have more information on their website soon.

I hope so. At least they seem to be putting more effort into their website unlike other developers.

:lol: I didn't say that it should be that way. But in a lot of countries the rich live in the center of the city. I think now there's a reaction to those years of urban planning in the 60's and 70's. I think in some ways that might be also helping fuel the condo craze in some areas of the country. Doesn't really apply here though.

Excuse my exaggeration about the walls & gun turrets. :D

I grew up in New York City's East Harlem in the 70's and I can remember my mom would take me and my sister about 30 blocks to the Welfare Office to get some money and food stamps. We could have taken the bus but the fare would have bought milk and a loaf of bread. I may not be in that situation today, but I'm still a little sensitive to the issues the poor are facing today.

BTW... here's the website for Paradigm Development for anyone who doesn't have it.

Excuse my exaggeration about the walls & gun turrets. :D

I grew up in New York City's East Harlem in the 70's and I can remember my mom would take me and my sister about 30 blocks to the Welfare Office to get some money and food stamps. We could have taken the bus but the fare would have bought milk and a loaf of bread. I may not be in that situation today, but I'm still a little sensitive to the issues the poor are facing today.

BTW... here's the website for Paradigm Development for anyone who doesn't have it.

Yeah all of our links keep getting pushed back in all these topics. I need to get with Matt and see if we can maybe find a way of putting a lot of useful links in a topic and maybe pin it to the top. Maybe also keep that topic closed so we can't post in it and eventually lose those links as well. We've come across some interesting links only to eventually forget what topics they were in and so on.

Yeah all of our links keep getting pushed back in all these topics. I need to get with Matt and see if we can maybe find a way of putting a lot of useful links in a topic and maybe pin it to the top. Maybe also keep that topic closed so we can't post in it and eventually lose those links as well. We've come across some interesting links only to eventually forget what topics they were in and so on.

Sure, if you want to create a topic for links of projects and other links, I'd love to participate in it.

Does anyone know the timing for construction in Park West. Do they still have to get city approval or is all of that part finished?

Will they start with just homes like Har-Ber meadows or do both commercial and homes at the same time?

Good now we can try to get back on the subject. :D I haven't really heard a lot of details so far. I don't recall hearing about this going by the Planning Board yet. I really don't know but if I had to guess I think this development still has a while to go before it really gets going. I'm also not sure what they'll do first. For that matter I still haven't seen the Sam's break ground yet over in that area. I thought they would have done something by now. Not sure if they're waiting till spring or what.

Good now we can try to get back on the subject. :D I haven't really heard a lot of details so far. I don't recall hearing about this going by the Planning Board yet. I really don't know but if I had to guess I think this development still has a while to go before it really gets going. I'm also not sure what they'll do first. For that matter I still haven't seen the Sam's break ground yet over in that area. I thought they would have done something by now. Not sure if they're waiting till spring or what.

From what I am hearing through my contacts up there, there is quite a delay on permits in Fayetteville, and maybe NWA in general. I am working on a minor retail renovation in Fayetteville and we have been waiting for our permit for over a month.

Not sure if that has held up SAMs, but it seems there is a backlog of sorts currently.

From what I am hearing through my contacts up there, there is quite a delay on permits in Fayetteville, and maybe NWA in general. I am working on a minor retail renovation in Fayetteville and we have been waiting for our permit for over a month.

Not sure if that has held up SAMs, but it seems there is a backlog of sorts currently.

That's very possible, especially when dealing with Fayetteville. I've heard it takes quite a while to go through and get thengs done in Fayetteville. Not sure if the other NWA cities are as bad.

The Fayetteville Economic Development Council presented Park West to the public yesterday with a power point presentation. It looks and sounds pretty nice. It sounds like the designers are really after a high quality project.

Cool, thanks for the update Sparkie. I need to find out where all this public stuff happens. Seems like I miss out. Of course I guess I could be at work when it's happening anyway.

What would you guys like to see at Park West in that part of Fayetteville?

what type of...

Restaurants, stores, business, housing, architecture, parks, environment, etc?

Inreresting question. I have been thinking about it more on a situation to improve the city and such. Not something that might affect me personally. I wouldn't mind seeing some retail and such, but it may have to be some impressive retail to get me to go over there on a regular basis. I guess the same applies to restaurants. I really like the atmosphere around the downtown area. Not sure if I'd be as likely to head over there to eat out. I certainly wouldn't turn down some architecture and parks. Maybe if it had a really great overall feel I'd me more interested in any of the aspects they might offer.

I really like this sort of development. I think that if things work out Tracy Hoskins (Paradigm) will do really well with this. I am going to try and buy a lot out there and hopefully build when they get it developed. The main thing that I would like to see in the "commercial area" would be great restaurants and a sports bar. I would much rather walk 2 blocks than to drive and find parking. I don't see how too much retail would work there just because it is so close to the mall. But, I do think a Blockbuster, pool hall, or that kind of thing would workout great.

Inreresting question. I have been thinking about it more on a situation to improve the city and such. Not something that might affect me personally. I wouldn't mind seeing some retail and such, but it may have to be some impressive retail to get me to go over there on a regular basis. I guess the same applies to restaurants. I really like the atmosphere around the downtown area. Not sure if I'd be as likely to head over there to eat out. I certainly wouldn't turn down some architecture and parks. Maybe if it had a really great overall feel I'd me more interested in any of the aspects they might offer.

Please tell me more about your ideas about how a development like this would affect Fayetteville. Do you mean location, size, urban design or what?

What type of architecture would you see going in there?

I really like this sort of development. I think that if things work out Tracy Hoskins (Paradigm) will do really well with this. I am going to try and buy a lot out there and hopefully build when they get it developed. The main thing that I would like to see in the "commercial area" would be great restaurants and a sports bar. I would much rather walk 2 blocks than to drive and find parking. I don't see how too much retail would work there just because it is so close to the mall. But, I do think a Blockbuster, pool hall, or that kind of thing would workout great.

Are you a builder or a home owner wanting to build in Park West? What area are you thinking about? Would the property be for you or to sell?

Do you think the location to the mall is a benefit or problem for Park West?

I like th idea of a good sports bar, but can only picture the Blockbuster there if it will conform to the urban storefront the developer is looking for.

Please tell me more about your ideas about how a development like this would affect Fayetteville. Do you mean location, size, urban design or what?

What type of architecture would you see going in there?

The stuff I've seen in the renderings look nice, not sure what exactly to call it. Sort of a traditional small city feel. Although wirth it being in that area of the city I wouldn't mind seeing something a little different either. I have wondered what a development would have on the city. If it might draw more attention away from the downtown area. Although I'm not so sure it will have the feel of the downtown area so it might appeal to people on a different level. I want it to do well but in a sense I hope it's not too successful. I'd like to see more focus around the downtown area and to see it get developed more in the near future.

The stuff I've seen in the renderings look nice, not sure what exactly to call it. Sort of a traditional small city feel. Although wirth it being in that area of the city I wouldn't mind seeing something a little different either. I have wondered what a development would have on the city. If it might draw more attention away from the downtown area. Although I'm not so sure it will have the feel of the downtown area so it might appeal to people on a different level. I want it to do well but in a sense I hope it's not too successful. I'd like to see more focus around the downtown area and to see it get developed more in the near future.

I hope it will be quite successful. I hate seeing empty streets and empty buildings.

I don't really think it will detract from the existing downtown area. NWA seems to be growing enough to support another urban type center. Not a new town, but a new place to set up an urban focus. Downtown is one, UofA is one, and off hand I can't really think of another. The mall is a focal point, but not in a successful urban environment kinda way. Nobody lives there except in those apartments out behind it. No real housing options, no real urban environment. I know the city is very excited about the mall, the new development where the Olive Garden and Target is, and that new artificial "Tuscan village" thing because of all the income that it will bring the city. I don't see how any of those developments will really bring a lasting "richness" to Fayettevilles urban fabric. They have no real "place". Park West is the only one that is trying to offer that. Sorry, I am ranting!

the photo shows the development to the south of Park West. The fense line at the bottom of the photo shows the southernmost edge of Park West.

I am hoping for university bus service to Park West when it is complete. That would give it a better chance of being a real pedestrian community.

Archived