Palladium Plaza

ChiefJoJo

BTW, they've topped out the building (5 floors) and are now adding on the facade. I might have some time to do a bunch of DT pictures real soon, including this project. Paladium Plaza has been lost in the shuffle a little bit, but this will add a lot of life to an area that needs it when it's completed next year. :thumbsup:

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hmm...jojo or anyone else here have a good background in concrete pouring or interior soundproofing? One of the walls against the CC parking deck did not fill up the mold and it looks like the bricks went up over it anyway.....plus some research on sound transmission makes me want to see independant walls for each unit instead of aparment style walls on a common stud base....btw I have heard the Alexan has terrible noise issues between units...anyone know anybody living there?

hmm...jojo or anyone else here have a good background in concrete pouring or interior soundproofing? One of the walls against the CC parking deck did not fill up the mold and it looks like the bricks went up over it anyway.....plus some research on sound transmission makes me want to see independant walls for each unit instead of aparment style walls on a common stud base....btw I have heard the Alexan has terrible noise issues between units...anyone know anybody living there?

Walking by, it looks like they "forgot" to do another floor above. I'd guess that they only go up three stories of units (five stories total) because of the *outdated* density restrictions in place at the time the project was proposed.

This is why the density bonuses for affordable housing, appearances, proximity to transit, etc. need to be in place ASAP. Condo buildings will never be "best use" under current guidelines -- density restrictions that probably scared Boulevard Centro away from Hillsborough/Glenwood.

It looks like a sore thumb sticking out above the top of Palladium. Brick will be better, but not great. It *could* have looked like cohesive block along Blount, Davie, and Wilmington.

The original developer for the parcel (forget whom) was going to build an 8-story building, but they couldn't make the numbers work or couldn't get enough reservations or something. The building was supposed to be done around the same time as Progress II, but nothing ever happened, so Progress found another developer who would build something there, even though it wasn't as nice as originally planned. There was some sort of incentive deal from the city (parking spaces, maybe?) so Council was frustrated at the decrease in scale and the lack of "traditional" ground floor retail space. Needless to say they approved it anyway.

^ That's right. I was looking at buying my condo at the time this stuff was going on and I believe the previous developer could not get the prices down--just too expensive for the arket at that time. Remember, we are talking about 2-3 years ago before the RCC and Fay St were even started, and the DT buzz was very much in it's infancy. White Oak took over the project and has made it work, albeit at a smaller scale than originally planned.

This is why the density bonuses for affordable housing, appearances, proximity to transit, etc. need to be in place ASAP.

It is interesting that the late sun that hits the south end of Palladium plaza will go away once Site One goes up, and the north end gets little sun (in the fall/winter/early spring sun location) after about 3 or 4 pm. People will be living there more to be in the center of it all -- City Market, Fayetville Street, etc. and not to work on their tan.

The problem with this project seems to be that while the initial developer did cost analysis, they probably used Founder's Row as a comparable at a time when those units were hard to sell with asbestos. It would have been nice to have either a planning department and/or council that demanded a structure at least as tall as the PE II deck or a developer who could anticipate the demand for downtown housing.

White Oak built Park Devarux (SW corner of Hargett and Dawson), which might be why Palladium feels like a "stretched out" version of that building. It is a suburban condo project that just happens to be downtown near city hall and a city square. Despite being across the street from Nash Square, several stories of occupied condos, and Joe's Place on the Martin Street corner, Daswon Street feels cold and dead between Hargett and Martin.

The "first floor" starts half a story up and had ZERO curb appeal before the ground floor units were allowed to have street entrances. And it appears only three of those are going in as far as we know. More could be rennovated later, but the planning commission allowed yet another blank face to be added so close to the activity in Moore Square.

It is interesting that the late sun that hits the south end of Palladium plaza will go away once Site One goes up, and the north end gets little sun (in the fall/winter/early spring sun location) after about 3 or 4 pm. People will be living there more to be in the center of it all -- City Market, Fayetville Street, etc. and not to work on their tan.

The problem with this project seems to be that while the initial developer did cost analysis, they probably used Founder's Row as a comparable at a time when those units were hard to sell with asbestos. It would have been nice to have either a planning department and/or council that demanded a structure at least as tall as the PE II deck or a developer who could anticipate the demand for downtown housing.

White Oak built Park Devarux (SW corner of Hargett and Dawson), which might be why Palladium feels like a "stretched out" version of that building. It is a suburban condo project that just happens to be downtown near city hall and a city square. Despite being across the street from Nash Square, several stories of occupied condos, and Joe's Place on the Martin Street corner, Daswon Street feels cold and dead between Hargett and Martin.

The "first floor" starts half a story up and had ZERO curb appeal before the ground floor units were allowed to have street entrances. And it appears only three of those are going in as far as we know. More could be rennovated later, but the planning commission allowed yet another blank face to be added so close to the activity in Moore Square.

*No* Dawson on Morgan condo units are getting sidewalk access. There are three "retail condos", with one sold (The Borough).

In Palladium Plaza, owners of "first floor" units can choose to have sidewalk access. So far at least three such units exist. One could be the rumored Moonlight Pizza, one is a salon and/or real estate agency for downtown's favorite flipper, and the third is unknown.

I don't know if there are any covenants, but other first floor units *may* be converted to sidewalk-approchable units if these three have already started the trend.

*No* Dawson on Morgan condo units are getting sidewalk access. There are three "retail condos", with one sold (The Borough).

In Palladium Plaza, owners of "first floor" units can choose to have sidewalk access. So far at least three such units exist. One could be the rumored Moonlight Pizza, one is a salon and/or real estate agency for downtown's favorite flipper, and the third is unknown.

I don't know if there are any covenants, but other first floor units *may* be converted to sidewalk-approchable units if these three have already started the trend.

When will google update their satelite maps? It's not like they are hurting for cash...

Those pics are pre-PE II (not I, on F Street) construction, which makes them at least three or four years old, but not too much older, since the deck on McDowell and South is in place.

Google's pictures illustrate how much downtown has added in the last few years -- PE II, F Street, Paladium in that immediate area, the old CC and building on the SW corner of McDowell and Cabarrus are still standing, the new CC's land is still a parking lot, the Quorum and Paramount's land still has the old structures on it, etc.

Surprisingly, I actually do have a picture of that location I took in Dec of 2001:

progress2001.jpg

Heres Progress II under construction, Oct of 03:

progress2.jpg

However, the Wake county property search can do even better, from 1996:

0113FC00.JPG

and 99:

A3101817.JPG

And, Yahoo maps beta is the first I've seen to have a post-Progress II aerial:

http://maps.yahoo.com/beta/#mvt=s&maxp...77596&mag=1

Archived