Palladium Plaza

ChiefJoJo

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They have their own deck that requires using the PE deck to get to it. I believe several spaces in the deck are dedicated to Palladium Plaza as well. An article about this arrangement just appeared somewhere...N&O, TBJ....not sure exactly. Night Security as in a night watchman is tremendously expensive and my HOA decided not to do this as it would add a good chunk to each months dues. Really...its not unsafe down there, no more so than your average north raleigh apartment complex.

Guys, please keep the Palladium Plaza discussion here--I just moved a bunch of posts from the Tucker St topic.

I rode my bike by there last night, and the lights above the sidewalk were lit up brightly and there was a ground floor unit occupied already, despite a lot of work remaining on the Cabarrus St side. Basically from the parking entrance to the Davie St side is probably 99% done and it looks like the corner ground floor units are the retail spaces with maybe one other.

I need to walk by there.. it is good to see some units already starting to get occupied, or at least upfit. Last time I drove by, it looked like they still had a little brick work to do on the north end of the Cabarrus face, closest to Lincoln Theater and Wilmington Street.

The fence was down on First Friday this month, but it looked like the sidewalk was still off limits. I was wondering what the "courtyard" formed by the interior corner of the Men at Work property was going to be used for, but I guess they exended the old Convention Center/PE II deck to get closer to Paladium Plaza.

I like the lights on the side of the building, which look like the offices east of the Six Forks/Atlantic intersection that White Oak may have also built. To me, it looks a lot better on Blount than behind the Fast Fare!

Just for clarification, your previous statement indicated that residents had to use the PE parking deck to enter the Palladium parking area under the building and the deck, and that is incorrect. Residents can also enter from Blount street.

Just for clarification, your previous statement indicated that residents had to use the PE parking deck to enter the Palladium parking area under the building and the deck, and that is incorrect. Residents can also enter from Blount street.

• 3 weeks later...

It looks like the corner of Blount and Davie is going to be a bar and restaurant called 101 Lounge and Cafe

opening this month.

From the site:

101 is located on the corner of Davie and Blount streets on the first and second floor of Palladium Plaza, a new development housing condos of various sizes and one of the few downtown Raleigh parking decks built for residents, businesses, and visitors.101 sits in two districts: (1) Raleigh's historical City Market Entertainment District and (2) Raleigh's newly renovated Fayetteville Street District. 101 is conveniently attached, adjacent to, and within walking distance to downtown condos and high-rise offices and is accessible for both daytime and nighttime consumers of all ages and professions.

There are a few "no acces" first floor units, but most seem to have a door on Blount street sidwalk.

As of last night, there was no sign for the 101 on the Davie side. I was driving by, so didn't notice if there was anything going on inside. There are still barells on the westmost lane of Blount, but hopefully those will go away when they dismantle the fence at the blount/cabarrus corner.

I think are a decent number of non-bar establishments downtown, but there is always room for more. Places like Coopers and Mecca can't be reproduced. It is hard to open a new deli in the world of Subway and Quiznos, but there is Sam and Wallys in the ground floor of Two Hannover and the technically a chain but still pretty good Gandalfos. That doesn't stop places like Sosta, Morning Times, Brass Grill, Pharros, Cafe Carolina, American Pita, etc. from putting their spin on casual dining. And there are severeal bars that have good food too, including F Street Tavern, Times Bar, Riverara, Yancy's, Fins, etc.

More places will open when the convention center, RBC, and other projects come on line, but there is a lot right now if you know where to go.

• 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Considering FR has been there for 15+ years, I think it looks great, and really fits in the context of the area. It's a little unfair to pick on one of the first condo buildings downtown, since they had no precedence to follow.

What Barrie failed to mention, or maybe notice, was that the entrances to the PP were already there before the condos went in. That is the entrance to the (now) City Center Parking Deck, and the service entrance for Progress. I think they did a great job masking these two entrances and incorporating them into the facade.

I totally disagree with the Tom Barrie's assessment of Founders Row. He seems to assume that the context of FR is Progress Plaza and the Palladium when it in fact is City Market. As such, especially for the view down Blake St. towards FR, it works well. I guess he just doesn't like the gates. That said, I hope down the road (10-20 years) that the block gets redeveloped with a little more height/density.

I totally disagree with the Tom Barrie's assessment of Founders Row. He seems to assume that the context of FR is Progress Plaza and the Palladium when it in fact is City Market. As such, especially for the view down Blake St. towards FR, it works well. I guess he just doesn't like the gates. That said, I hope down the road (10-20 years) that the block gets redeveloped with a little more height/density.

Archived