Palladium Plaza

ChiefJoJo

I drove by these the other day and was really impressed by the streetscape they're creating. I couldn't help but wish that they were taller with tons more units! They do transition nicely to the Founders' Row project, though. Looks like we're getting ourselves a downtown, fellers!

• 4 months later...

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^^ second that...I think it turned out very nice looking....the windows are almost floor to ceiling, the balconies are great, and Blount has a decent pedestrian feel to it as opposed to say the Dawson/McDowell pair, all the elements came together very well here...

It is brick, but they have been slooooowwww to brick the building...

I think the Davie street face was bricked pretty quickly... around mid-late December?

Maybe it has to be warm enough for the grout to cure properly? Getting to the parking deck tunnel (in front of the white car in ChiefJoJo's pic) is promising, but they still have a long way to go. The website says they are now "signing contracts" as opposed to taking reservations, but there is no opening/move in date posted. It will be nice to get that stretch of sidewalk and lane of Blount street back!

It would be nice to hear about the units converted into retail units, but I didn't notice any signs when I walked by on Thursday.

• 1 month later...

I was just walking around the block by Palladium and they are nearly done with the brickwork along Blounts St, which essentially covers the whole of the photo I took last month (above). Despite what some have said here about White Oak not developing good urban projects in the past, this one is quietly going to be one of the better projects near the urban core IMO. The area has a nice human scale, the brickwork gives the units a solid, lasting feel, and once something is announced at PE III next door, they will probably appreciate quite a bit. Oh yes, White Oak does deserve some credit for getting this project finished where the previous developer (forget who) failed to make it work.

I was just walking around the block by Palladium and they are nearly done with the brickwork along Blounts St, which essentially covers the whole of the photo I took last month (above). Despite what some have said here about White Oak not developing good urban projects in the past, this one is quietly going to be one of the better projects near the urban core IMO. The area has a nice human scale, the brickwork gives the units a solid, lasting feel, and once something is announced at PE III next door, they will probably appreciate quite a bit. Oh yes, White Oak does deserve some credit for getting this project finished where the previous developer (forget who) failed to make it work.

One feature that will be interesting to see is based on a rumor I have heard about a neighborhood bar and/or pizza joint on the first floor at the corner of blount and davie.

Can anyone confirm or deny this rumor? Waay out on a limb, but from the looks of it, each of the first floor units have a front stoop, except for that corner unit.

• 1 month later...

From the council agenda:

1. White Oak Properties Parking Agreement - Palladium Plaza

White Oak Properties is currently building a condominium project at 444 South Blount Street which is scheduled to open for public use on or about June 1, 2007. The condominium building (Palladium Plaza) has been constructed above a previously existing driveway access to the City

From the council agenda:

1. White Oak Properties Parking Agreement - Palladium Plaza

White Oak Properties is currently building a condominium project at 444 South Blount Street which is scheduled to open for public use on or about June 1, 2007. The condominium building (Palladium Plaza) has been constructed above a previously existing driveway access to the City

Cool balcony rails and actually I like the scale at 5 stories....any more and you start to lose pedestrian scale and intimate connection to the street. As is several of these units have stoops opening onto the sidewalk.....a nice touch that tall towers lose when lobby access is what is provided.

Cool balcony rails and actually I like the scale at 5 stories....any more and you start to lose pedestrian scale and intimate connection to the street. As is several of these units have stoops opening onto the sidewalk.....a nice touch that tall towers lose when lobby access is what is provided.

Are you saying that you have a street level conection on one of the five floors? Maybe you could help me understand what you mean? Unless you are actually on the very first floor everthing else is above street level. If I were buying a condo I wouldn't want to be on the first floor, to great of a chance to have a break-in. If I wanted stoops or first floor, I would buy a townhouse or single family home elsewere. That's why my thought would be to have retail etc. on the first floor and then 10,11,12+ floors above that. :thumbsup:

Well retail on the first floor is another way to establish a good street connection for a building. For a purely residnetial building, in order to get a street presence, you need the combined short with stoops setup. Only the first floor has doors opening onto the sidewalk. Breakins....I am guessing not a huge problem with so many neighbors and activity....if anything privacy may be an issue for some people.....if you ever read the North Raleigh news segment in the N&O on fridays you can see how big of a problem they have with breakins up there. Also Cameron Park and Glenwood/Brooklyn have had problems. so I would say this location is no more at risk than anywhere else....

I'll play devil's advocate on this "taller" argument. The following building actually has a matching tower on the left portion of the building. The streetscape is very similar to that near the bowling ally on Hillsborough St. Retail, but presented in a cold fashion.

metropolis.JPG

Now let's look at Palladium Plaza and imagine that it had the same street level retail.

2129668160098570895S600x600Q85.jpg

Which building does more for a downtown? This first building has 500 condo units. The second has 66 units. Given that downtown Raleigh has 144 places on which to build a building the size of the Wachovia tower, wouldn't you rather see us build 7 Palladium Plazas (with much retail) than 1 of those like the 20-story project shown in the first picture?

For me - when I say I wish Palladium was taller, I basically mean that I wish it was another 2 stories or so taller, so that it would screen the rest of that parking deck. A mid-rise is definitely right for that location.

As for the ground-floor retail space in Palladium, is Moonlight Pizza still a go? I can see their little 1-story building at Morgan & Boylan being redeveloped in the near future, so Palladium might become their main location.

I think the design lacked appeal....my criticism of same ol' architecture gets loud at times....knowing the builder is the same as that of the apartmetns at Wade and Oberlin I would say 712 Tucker will make an excellent rental community but other than price, I just didn't get a good 'feel' for this project...as an investment, as a place to live....Palladium Plaza gives off a much better feel....

Palladium Plaza is a "fine urban living" designed building with exposed spiral duct work and exposed pipes in the corridors. Some units have polished concrete floors and exposed sprinkler pipes. I don't know what this is really called but seems like "urban loft" and "industrial-warehouse" are other terms associated with like developments.

Archived