Grand Rapids to ban strip clubs?

gvsusean

The city is proposing to ban strip clubs, since they can no longer ban the planned location of hte proposed downtown location. i like this idea..... i cannot think of single positive attribute of a strip club to a downtown.

source is more news section of the local section of msnbc.com

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The city is proposing to ban strip clubs, since they can no longer ban the planned location of hte proposed downtown location. i like this idea..... i cannot think of single positive attribute of a strip club to a downtown.

source is more news section of the local section of msnbc.com

http://www.woodtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=4239075

"City officials say they expect legal challenges over the proposed ordinance."

No kidding?

I'm no longer in support of this. I just seen who was spear heading this and their motives plus I really didn't realize how much money would be involved in legal defense if this law would be chanllenged. It would be worth it to the city to just sit back and let this through, capturing the taxes that would come along with business.

I'm no longer in support of this. I just seen who was spear heading this and their motives plus I really didn't realize how much money would be involved in legal defense if this law would be chanllenged. It would be worth it to the city to just sit back and let this through, capturing the taxes that would come along with business.

Since there is already one going in near downtown (plus tini-bikinis, which I hear is basically a strip club when it gets late), it seems like the city could try to get rid of those places through zoning. It would probably be a lot more legally feasible to zone SOB's right out of downtown, if possible. I dont know what the law says now, but it would seem like a better idea than to take on the huge fight of banning them completely, even if it is what they would ultimately like to do. But then agian, I could be completely wrong.

I would support a ban like this. My wife would support it even more. I'm surprised more feminists don't get involved in protesting these places. They're totally degrading to women.

We tend to stay away from areas with a strip club. I would think the neighborhood around one would become less desirable to many businesses.

It's good to see good, ole Grand Rapids conservatism alive and well. :) I tease, I tease...or do I? After all, I am a crazy, God-fearing liberal. Figure that one out. lol

As a left-of-center, I kind of take offence to that. Are you saying that this is a conservative or liberal issue? because it isn't. Are conservatives the only ones for dignity to the female body and Liberals are for anything counter-culture including sexual perversion? I despise strip clubs, If I patroned one I would essentially be disrespecting my girlfriend. People, this isn't about Christianity, I thought it was about respect and and basic dignity for the human body? I would only respect the constitutional right of the owner to operate his establishment in the city, there is no legal gray area. The onwer has a right to operate. I think that if we are to promote Grand Rapids as a family friendly city why would we zone adult entertainment and then zone residential nearby? Why not have a buffer zone with adult entertainment near industrial zones as it was set before and not have residential zoning near this buffer?

my .02 cents

I agree. I won't be the crusader for this. Seriously, this isn't the thing GR should be doing with its time and money on behalf of some "born again." We could be spending money better, like on JackBBV's underground ramp, rather then spending money on morals. Let people build what they want, bla...

I agree. I won't be the crusader for this. Seriously, this isn't the thing GR should be doing with its time and money on behalf of some "born again." We could be spending money better, like on JackBBV's underground ramp, rather then spending money on morals. Let people build what they want, bla...

I dont agree with banning topless entertainment, however the city has itself in a quandry. The city has a large parcel of land accross the street on the river that would be prime for development, as well as a market rate residential project that wants to be zoned in behind it. Personally I dont see a problem with residential going in near an existing Adult establishment, and let the future occupants make the choice of locating there or not. Mr. London is using the re-zone platform to push for a liquor license, and will attempt to hold up anything until he gets his way. Unfortunately the city has let him locate in an area that could really evolve into a great urban neiborhood, near the arena and public transport, gr ballet, and the skywalk to the convention center. That small section could really blossom, instead it will be a long and expensive fight for all parties. :sick:

^The current women who is spearheading this is a self-proclaimed "born again Christian." Is there any documentation that proves this women's argument?

I think you can just say you're "born again" and most people will believe you without documentation. There's not much argument about it these days.

I say regardless of religion and/or personal preference, they shouldn't spend the money to fight it being built, even though I am not a fan of strip clubs myself. It would be nice to have these types of clubs away from residential and pedestrian type retail areas. Especially in areas that we have all been rooting for development of our grand city.

BTW: Live and let live: Many different views of this subject - one may see it as degrading to women, but there are some women who see it as an opportunity to make really good money to get themselves through college or whatever. Those women usually don't see it as degrading at all.

All in the eye of the beholder.

We are living in interesting times here. Traditionally a strip club in an industrial setting would be fine, because I can't imagine how it would depreciate the value of a factory. However, with industrial facilities either leaving for the burbs, leaving the State or leaving altogether, many of these properties have a potential second life as residential use. The city needs to get their arms around this and figure out what they would like to see in the center city and surrounding industrial areas. Imagine a strip club opening up right on Monroe Center as this article points out, or right on North Monroe. No one can convince me that it would be good for residential property values. Look at the areas around the club on Lake Michigan Drive (can't think of the name), or the properties around the adult video stores on Bridge Street?

It has nothing to do with conservatism or liberalism.

I think you can just say you're "born again" and most people will believe you without documentation. There's not much argument about it these days.

That line made me laugh woz. What kind of documentation would a born again present? :lol:

Realizing the location, it doesn't sound like it would be a good fit, but to assume that people are leaving their own personal beliefs at the door on this one would also be foolish to assume. I mean, even in this thread we have people mulling, if only half serious, about moving these clubs out of the city entirely. Then we have someone talking about how degrading they are to women. All of that should be irrelevant, and it's quite clear that it isn't. This particular case, as you have shown, probably isn't the best fit, but it's been made quite well known by a number of folks here that they don't approve of these establishments. All I'm saying is to be real about this whole things, instead of trying to make it look like the more broad issue isn't one of a conservative mindset vs. a more liberal one.

Archived