• Announcements

• Neo

WARNING!   07/26/16

By reading or participating in the Coffee House forum, you are acknowledging that some topics may be highly controversial in nature. While we make every attempt to ensure that no one and no groups are offended as a result of discussions contained within, we unfortunately can make no guarantees. Participate in threads contained within this forum at your own risk.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

monsoon

Charlotte CBD becoming a Ephemeral City

Charlotte CBD becoming a Ephemeral City?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Charlotte CBD becoming a Ephemeral City?

• No
    • Yes
    • I will think about it at Carribou or Starbucks

This article about Portland sounds familiar. Is this what is happening to the Charlotte CBD?

A quote from the article:

What do ephemeral cities do? Not much by traditional standards. They don't create a lot of jobs for working or middle-class people. Instead they mostly exist to celebrate themselves and provide an attractive setting for visitors and would-be migrants.

Comments are welcome? Maybe we have not gotten there yet.

I think that it's a bit unfair to take the term "Ephemeral City" and apply it to 1.7 sq. mi. portion of Charlotte. Charlotte' CBD is essentially two neighborhoods and a "financial district". It's important to provide an attractive environment to retain high-paying jobs, because these jobs are what attract retail and recreational facilities that people of all income levels enjoy.

Also, the article's description implies that an "Ephemeral City" is a victim of its own success or at least a victim of its narcissism. I would suggest that the CBDs addition of jobs, retail, and most importantly residents would suggest that the CBD is actually behaving more like a "traditional" city.

This article about Portland sounds familiar. Is this what is happening to the Charlotte CBD?

A quote from the article:

What do ephemeral cities do? Not much by traditional standards. They don't create a lot of jobs for working or middle-class people. Instead they mostly exist to celebrate themselves and provide an attractive setting for visitors and would-be migrants.

Comments are welcome? Maybe we have not gotten there yet.

Uptown provides a centralized location for a lot of the service economy such as accounting, banking and law firms. The law firms, I know, are growing like gangbusters. Nothing ephemeral about that. The article seems to be some veiled attempt at presenting reverse classism in a different set of clothing. If Portland is guilty of wanting to attract the highly educated on the basis that it will improve their economy, then let them take a shot. There are certainly plenty of cities that cater to manufacturing and more blue collar jobs.

I think that it's a bit unfair to take the term "Ephemeral City" and apply it to 1.7 sq. mi. portion of Charlotte.

It was just a thought provoking question on the Queen City's urban development, not a judgement. The chakras need more food than what is provided by discussions on EFIS and automatic transmissions.

While it may be true that the Charlotte CBD matches some of the same criticism in that article, I think it is a non-sequitur to say that self-celebration and all that leads to a "temporary" city or neighborhood.

Many suburban neighborhoods, especially for wealth people, exist purely so that residents can boast about their status. Most of those are still going strong 80 and a hundred years later.

It is all part of the creation of perceived value, which is the basis of the real estate market, neighborhoods, and cities in general.

Charlotte's CBD may very well just be about appearances, but it will certainly continue to have 10k-15k residents, and 50k-75k jobs, and so forth, well into the coming decades.

The only extent to which Charlotte's CBD is ephemoral is the extent that all of human existance is ephemoral. We are all gonna die. :)