Winter Night in the Music City Finale

Lexy

Church Street is quite possibly the most festive street in Nashville at this point. The city has done an outstanding job making it what it is now.

Picture1246.jpg

Lighted street signs!

Picture1264.jpg

Even Tony decorates.

Picture1265.jpg

Picture1266.jpg

Picture1270.jpg

Picture1281.jpg

More cranes now....

Picture1301.jpg

Picture1302.jpg

The surprise........................................................................

Here

it

is

SCROLL------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------>

Project1.jpg

With permission from the Days Inn, this is the view form the 9th floor balcony.

Thanks,

Michael.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great picture. Maybe the best angle on the skyline. The L&C Tower still stands proud.

I guess Mortons is the only restaurant (night time) on Church. But there should be more to follow soon, I would think.

Actually, I can think of three or four more. It is the only "nice" restaurant on the street though. The others are a Quizno's, Subway, a pizza shop that name escapes me, and a small shop in the Library. Of course, all but the steakhouse and pizza shop close at 6pm. That will surely change in the future I would think.

You are a great photographer! Are you self taught? What type of camera do you use because all of my night photos come out funny? How do you create the great panoramic shots that you post?! Like it or not, you have yourself a fan now!

LOL! I am self taught, but use many people from the forums at skyscraperpage.com as a guide, or persons to look up to. I try to capture life as it is happening, not something that is staged for the camera.

I use a Konica Minolta DiMAGE Z2 4.0 megapixel with digital zoom. The best thing to use to create a pan shot is Adobe Photoshop. When taking a pan, you sweep from one side to the other, overlapping shots and such. The shading is always a bit different with each shot, so that is where the proper software comes in handy. Not to mention splicing all the pics together is a heck of a lot easier with Photoshop. I try to make shots that require NO touch-ups and cut and paste techniques. To me, that dilutes the picture and makes it fake looking. But then again, I am a perfectionist when it comes to my pictures.

Hey, well done, man. I especially like the shots focusing on individuals. Why do you look like you're contemplating violence against your wife in that shot in the resturaunt? Ever consider going to some of the other popular spots around town and showing the people what else we've got here besides downtown? Excluding East Nashville High School, of course.

I have been to East Nashville, Franklin, and parts of West End. Unfortunatly, picture taking doesn't pay the bills or else I would do it more. LOL!!! West End is my next target though. It is harder to get around than downtown, but is just as interesting.

Wow! Church Street does look awesome these days - who would have ever guessed it would make such a comeback? It would still be nice to see some shopping there but I guess that will come when more rooftops are there. Can't you just see the street overflowing with the hustle and bustle of residents and visitors alike Christmas shopping? Someone needs to bring back Castner Knott! (I'm going to keep saying that - LOL)

Wow! Church Street does look awesome these days - who would have ever guessed it would make such a comeback? It would still be nice to see some shopping there but I guess that will come when more rooftops are there. Can't you just see the street overflowing with the hustle and bustle of residents and visitors alike Christmas shopping? Someone needs to bring back Castner Knott! (I'm going to keep saying that - LOL)

No, it's Harvey's that needs to be brought back. A uniquely Nashville-Church Street department store institution.

Yep I did as a little child. I barely remember it. My folks went to it just before we went to the top of the L&C Tower for something.

The L&C, now that's something I never got to do. The highest spot I ever went to downtown was right after the Hyatt Regency opened in '78 and as a 4-year old, I took those scary glass elevators up to their Polaris Room. Anyway, regarding Harvey's, it just seems like there was something magical about going downtown to the grand old department stores (especially at Christmas-time), something sorely lacking with suburban malls. It's unfortunate many Nashville youngsters will never get to experience what I and many others did growing up here pre-1980s. :(

LOL! I am self taught, but use many people from the forums at skyscraperpage.com as a guide, or persons to look up to. I try to capture life as it is happening, not something that is staged for the camera.

I use a Konica Minolta DiMAGE Z2 4.0 megapixel with digital zoom. The best thing to use to create a pan shot is Adobe Photoshop. When taking a pan, you sweep from one side to the other, overlapping shots and such. The shading is always a bit different with each shot, so that is where the proper software comes in handy. Not to mention splicing all the pics together is a heck of a lot easier with Photoshop. I try to make shots that require NO touch-ups and cut and paste techniques. To me, that dilutes the picture and makes it fake looking. But then again, I am a perfectionist when it comes to my pictures.

Thanx!

Hmm... a new-age Harvey's. That's an idea to ponder. I don't really remember Harvey's like I do Cain-Sloan and Castner Knott. I guess because there wasn't one at Green Hills and that is where we shopped. I can remember the first time my Mom took us downtown to shop. I was so amazed that there was actually shopping in the middle of all those tall buildings - LOL. Being from Dickson, a trip to Nashville usually meant one of a few things.... a Doctor's/Dentist appointment, or back-to-school shopping/Christmas shopping. Needless to say going downtown was a treat because it seemed so big and mysterious.

Archived